Boss of Bosses VI Day 2

I think 436 just wasn’t there. He has done 20kg ish jumps before from openers like that and got em but maybe too much for this time.

Was easily a PR there on this equipment (not wrpf big bumper boiz). Conservative jump could’ve have gotten him a bit more but he is still blowing all the other dudes away. It’s ridiculous

1 Like

This angle isn’t too flattering to the new record holder

1 Like

I had never realised that you didn’t actually have to rack the bench for a good lift…

Yep I don’t personally feel like it was a clean ATWR, sure as hell moved fast.
Hopefully he’ll clean it up and do more at the next meet he does.

2 Likes

@chris_ottawa most of the elitefts ones come with a warning because two people flipped monos inside of a month.

One at my gym and then Jo Jordan down at OBB. It’s also why they should be bolted down.

The walk through mono which arguable has the longest base could still in theory tip, the problem comes from the pendulum affect when a weight falls into the straps.

It’s really a concern if someone falls backwards mostly. Getting bent over doesn’t quite have the same effect.

I still say straps are going to save people more often than not.

1 Like

Yeah, from here you can see that the bar was never motionless at lockout and it appears that the rack command was given after he lost control. It’s unfortunate, but that’s what it is.

If he had lost the bar after holding it still for a moment and getting the rack command then I could see that as a good lift, but in this case it’s the same as a soft lockout on a deadlift

The problem with that is for meets they put them on the same platform they use for bench and deadlifts, and some meets are held in places where there wouldn’t normally be a monolift and the owners probably wouldn’t like bolt holes in the floor. I’m sure there is a way they could be designed to prevent flipping, it would just cost more.

I was checking out Josh Bryant’s channel and he said one of the spotters hit the plates and caused the bar to shift.

You can see it about 7 seconds in on the video above. Screen left, or Maddox’s right side. Dude in the black shit raises his arms and knocks into the bar, shifting towards the right of the screen.

One more angle.

2 Likes

Came here to comment this. Dude celebrates prematurely, hits the bar with his left forearm while jumping up and causes the bar to tip and unlock Maddox’s left arm.

1 Like

@oldbeancam which is terrible but this shouldn’t of been passed anyhow.

The lift was not cleanly completed. The judge may of said rack ( which I doubt because she didn’t give the hand signal per the rule book )but from the front view you can clearly see he’s not locked out and the bar is still in motion.

I’m pretty sure the WRPF rule book also calls for height adjustable limiters ( safeties ) so no ones benches should of counted.

Yeah I’m a dick but people want powerlfiting to be taken seriously then there needs to be clear cut rules that are followed.

3 Likes

And no I can’t bench that,it’s amazing he did and as I’ve already said - hopefully he comes back with a cleaner stronger bench next meet and leaves no questions.

1 Like

I love controversy!

I’ll admit the big Russian’s lift was cleaner, but this isn’t figure skating.

If that is in fact the case then Maddox can’t be blamed since he did lift it all the way to lockout, even if only for a split second. It’s just unfortunate that something like this would happen with an all time WR because now the lift is questionable and people like us have to debate this online. There was no question that the spotter who raised his arm is an idiot, but now it turns out he is an even bigger idiot that previously thought, he should be banned for life from spotting.

What do you mean? There are safeties on the bench, the left side of the bar landed on one.

Only because there were no retarded spotters. Pull some shit like that in Russia and it’s off to the gulag for you.

You’re right, I completely missed that, I think they were too low but okay they were there.

I was so focused on the guy nearly having his face bashed in I neglected that part.

2 Likes

Nah man, you just care about the sport which I totally understand. It’s extremely unfortunate this has to happen when it did. Hopefully he comes back to hit 750 or whatever Bryant has planned for him to do and can do it cleaner with no dumbasses spotting him.

1 Like

I can handle a poor ref’s call but imagine a spotter costing you a world record! I think they called good lift for the personal safety of that spotter lol

1 Like

From what I’ve read of the situation, Maddox did receive the rack command before he lost the bar and that is why it was called a good lift.

Whether or not you agree that should count or not is another issue, but the rulebook says its a good lift after ‘rack’.

My issue with the lift isn’t the finish, which was obviously a messy situation, but that he still had soft elbows when the rack command was given.

1 Like

It looks to me like both his elbows were locked for a brief moment, I didn’t hear any rack command though. Some judges are a bit fast with the rack command, and if that idiot spotter hadn’t hit the bar then likely there would have been no issue, but that’s how it goes.

So how about some positive stuff from this meet? Yury Belkin squatted 917 for another all time WR, I think he must have the most efficient squat technique I have ever seen. And even though he failed to set a new deadlift WR, he broke the total WR once again.

And TD Davis, in his first full meet he totalled 2237. He also looks like he just learned ho to squat, give him a couple years and he could break the ATWR.

And CC Ingram (formerly Holcomb), apparently she was real sick and in the hospital a few days before the meet but still managed to set all time world records for squat, bench and total despite missing all he 3rd attempts on some technical issues. Her lifts are absolutely insane for a woman, she would be elite for a male lifter.

4 Likes

She’s in my weight class and totaled 20kg more than me despite the missed lifts, truly awesome.

3 Likes

You reckon? What’s efficient squat technique mean exactly? Great leverages and positions achieved? Big weights made to look easy? Perfectly straight bar path? Some other metric?

I’ve not really thought about this before and no one really stands out as having the most efficient squat technique to me off the top of my head I don’t know how I’d even rate it exactly