Lil Greggy- Gym Pact 2019

Some quotes from an old Dan John article that I just wanted to put into my log. Mainly just for the first one so that I remember to prioritize my hip thrusts. :peach:

2 Likes

I recommend Biotest products over citrulline, thatā€™s for sure. I use it because itā€™s in Plazma, and I find Plazma massively helpful - such is my logic.

1 Like

Sunday PM, 5/28

Sumo DL (Double Overhand): 315x1 365x1 385x1 405x1

Weighted Pull-ups +25 lbs: 4x8

Meadows Rows:
25 lbs x6
50 lbs x 6
75 lbs x 6
100 lbs x 6
75 lbs x 6
50 lbs x 10

Single Arm Bent Over KB Rows: 70 lbs 3x10
Bicep Kine Tings
Face Pulls

I hurt an oblique on my 405 pull. Perhaps this is a sign to strap on a belt. Or maybe itā€™s just a sign to train smarter. I had my chucks on tonight, so the deadlifting felt more comfortable than Thursday. I hurt the oblique right off of the floor, but it still went up pretty smoothly and I was able to hold the lockout for a few seconds. Will probably not train a heavy deadlift single for at least a week. Then again, Iā€™ve said I wouldnā€™t do a lot of things and end up doing them anyway.

The rest of the workout felt decent. I havenā€™t done Meadow Rows in a while, so got a nice stretch in my lats. My grip gave out eventually on the +100 lbs. I had planned on doing weighted carries but the ab strain nixed those plans. It must be minor though because it didnā€™t hurt much while doing any of the row variations or pull-ups.

Evening Weight: 202.4 lbs

Havenā€™t weighed myself fresh off of waking up recently, but the recent evening numbers have me thinking I may be putting on the pounds a bit too quickly. Will make it a point to weigh myself in the morning throughout this next week so that I can assess more accurately and make the proper adjustments to my diet. I donā€™t mind still putting on weight, but would rather it be ~.5 lbs per week.

2 Likes

ā€œThe guy with the biggest butt lifts the biggest weightsā€ Is now my favourite quote. Thicc gang.

3 Likes

Monday AM, 5/29

Morning Weight: 199.8 lbs

Well, itā€™s official, I need to slow down the eating. I wonā€™t do anything too extreme just yet since I also just added in sprints. Iā€™ll see how my body looks/feels in another week, but definitely no indulgences between now and then.

My oblique got sore af last night right before bed and is inflamed this morning. Still not too concerned about it since it happened in the beginning of my workout and wasnā€™t an issue the rest of the workout. After an aspirin today and some more icing later, I expect it to feel better by this afternoon. Probably no lifting today, but might still go to the track.

Once Iā€™m able to squat routinely, Iā€™m thinking of starting a more structured program just to switch things up for a bit. While Iā€™ve had great strength success from powerlifting programs, like Sheiko and Smolov, I think I want to try something a little different. Going off of Coach Thibā€™s new ā€œneuro typeā€ articles, perhaps I will try out his Indigo Project as a template. We shall see.

2 Week Pic Update- 30 Days Total

This is actually a couple of days late of ā€œtwo weeks,ā€ but it is a month since my first set of pics. Iā€™ll put together a comparison collage later today to try see any comparisons.

2 Likes

ā€œProgressā€ Over First Month of Log

Nothing crazy, but I think there is a slight difference in leanness and size, particularly in my back. I think my titties finally stick out as far as my belly, too. Iā€™ve put on 5 lbs in this first month of the log, which I think is a good, but unsustainable rate if I want to keep leaning out. Quads did well during the first two weeks, but definitely stalled out since then, as pictured here, which is to be expected since I only got to squat once between the quad pics (taken Week 2 and Week 4, respectively). I just added in direct arm work over the past two weeks, so we will see in another 2-4 weeks if I can get some growth going there. Not sure why I decided to roll up my shorts like a sumo wrestlerā€¦ Just wanted to get the hammies showing, but got a lil booty in there too.

While this is the first month of the log, this is technically my second month back in the weight room (thatā€™s at least how many months of membership Iā€™ve paid for). I guess I am pleased with my gains in strength while being able to lean out a bit, not content though. Hopefully I can keep riding the wave of newbie gains throughout summer at least until I get back to where my strength was years ago. Key thing will to stay injury free.

4 Likes

Tuesday AM, 5/30

I didnā€™t get a chance to weigh myself this morning. I had a glass of bourbon and an IPA last night. I wasnā€™t out late, but couldnā€™t fall asleep until almost 4am. No bueno.

Will be looking to go to the gym tonight. Oblique is still sore, but it shouldnā€™t hamper my performance. Will still do OHP as the main lift, but might cut back on the auxiliary overhead lifts so that I donā€™t exacerbate the oblique.

1 Like

Tuesday PM, 5/30

Bench Press:
275 lbs 5x3
225 lbs (10 second pause, 1 inch off of chest) 3x2
205 1x12

Clean to Strict Press:
95 lbs 1x10
145 lbs 6x3

Squat (w/ sleeves):
205 lbs 10x3

Standing Calf Raises:
135 lbs 2x16

Standing Single Arm KB Presses:
70 lbs 3x6

BW Dips: 2x20

Tricep Kine Tings

There was a 45 minute wait for a platform/rack, which is why I first did bench and still ended up having to just take my bench bar to the side and do cleans to OHP.

Once a rack finally opened up, I was done with my OHP, but I felt good enough to try see how my knees felt with squats. Happy with how they held up doing 10x3 of ~bodyweight on the bar, but weā€™ll see how they are tomorrow. The sleeves definitely make a difference.

Tomorrow is a busy night, so I may be going to the gym in the afternoon, which I donā€™t normally like to do. Next workout is deadlift/pull-ups, so if the oblique is still sore, thatā€™s extra incentive to just take the day off from lifting and do some sprints + yoga.

Weight before bed: 199.8 lbs

3 Likes

Finally got a chance to go through your log and you are beasting man! Pull-Ups are no joke. Your back and grip is strong as hell!

I did the 6 week sprint solution as is. Lost probably ~10lbs of fat eating the same and my conditioning got better. Definitely taxing if you are doing heavy squats though!

1 Like

Thanks braddah! Glad to hear someone has experienced success with the 6 week sprint solution. I definitely havenā€™t been following it as is, but hoping to eventually build up to that frequency. Just easing back into it for now, sprinting maybe 4x a week.

1 Like

Yeah I just jumped right into it lol. My knees were achy for the first 2 weeks, but then it was all good. In retrospect I would have for sure eased into it lol. Keep lifting man!

1 Like

Wednesday AM, 5/31

Morning Weight: 197.6 lbs

First time weighing myself in the morning for a while. I guess Iā€™m not putting on weight quite as quickly as I had thought, which is GREAT. Iā€™ve probably only put on 4-5 lbs of mass over two months, which definitely makes more sense than what I had originally stated of ~5 lbs in the past month alone.

If I can keep this gain rate consistent through the summer I would be quite pleased. Finishing August around 203-205 lbs while maintaining/lowering my bf %. Perhaps by that point I would try the 6/1 week bulk/cut approach from @danteism I posted some pics above if you have any input on what direction you think I should be going body comp wise. Morning weight from the time of the first pics ~195 lbs, morning weight of the most recent pic ~197-198 lbs.

2 Likes

Got some of this in the mail today. $30 for a 6 month supply, so figured I had room in my budget to give it a try (per @MarkKOā€™s suggestion, I believe) .

Have never used citrulline before. Planning on adding 6-8 grams of it to my ā€œpreworkout,ā€ which has just been 7-10gs of BCAAs +5gs of creatine 20-30 mins before heading to the gym. I usually lift at night, 1-2 hours after my dinner, so Iā€™m not keen on consuming any additional preworkout carbs. I have 40-60g of dextrose with 14g of BCAAs intraworkout. I have stuck to this pretty consistently for the past month, and it has worked well for me. Will see how the addition of citrulline affects it.

1 Like

Personally I would still diet down more.

Of course you could tweak the 6/1 (weeks bulking/weeks cutting) approach so it looks more like 5/2 and you would lean out with that (if you do it correctly)

Mmmm. Well Iā€™ve been able to lean out (at least I think so) while still slowly putting on some mass, so Iā€™ll probably just keep that going until it stagnates. Once that happens I guess commit to a dedicated cut. End-game, how much mass do you think I could/should aim to fit on my frame? My calivcles are on the narrower side, but my legs have plenty of room for growth still. Tough for me to gauge what I could hold.

I say pick one of two approaches:

1. Find a bodybuilder with a similar frame and the look you want and try to achieve that.

2. Take my approach and use some math to figure our your genetic potential.

I know some donā€™t like my method but I still havenā€™t beaten the equation. Iā€™d love to be 237 at 12% BF. Thatā€™s another 15-17 lbs of muscle for me.

1 Like

As much as possible, of course

3.2-3.5 pounds per inch of height at a decent level of leanness should be attainable for just about anybody, so thatā€™s a good place to start.

1 Like

Saturday AM, 6/3

Iā€™ve been MIA for a few days because I have family from North Carolina visiting, so I havenā€™t been able to make it to the gym for three days in a row. Looking to get in there tonight.

Iā€™ve decided to start CTā€™s Layer System, Unsure exactly which split to do (4, 5, or 6 days). I will be out of town next weekend, so I might just wait until the following week to start the program. Tonight Iā€™m just aiming to get some deadlifting in and go from there. Some rows and maybe even squats.

1 Like