Lil Greggy- Gym Pact 2019

Did you see your PT?

Yessuh, no real updates with that though. Same olā€™ same olā€™

1 Like

The eternal battle between abs and adding muscleā€¦

You could always follow @MarkKOā€™s approach and go for cutting now and then gradually, very gradually, bump your weight back up over time with the end goal being at or above your current weight with more muscle and less fat.

2 Likes

The one positive for me is that long term (once I turn 30+ in 5 years), Iā€™d rather be much smaller (175-180) than I am now. So I donā€™t reallllly need to stress over putting on much more muscle since Iā€™ll eventually be losing muscle mass. Obviously the more muscle I put on now, the easier that process will be though. Losing strength will suck, but I weighed less than that when I was at 3/4/4.5 strength for PL (although Iā€™m not even back at that yet) so not too worried.

Saturday AM, 7/1

Morning Weight: 194.0 lbs

Push Press
135 lbs 5x3

Bench Press
275 lbs 1x3
275 lbs 1x2
265 lbs 2x3
225 lbs 1x8
225 lbs 1x10

DB Bentover Row
100 lbs 1x8
110 lbs 1x6
120 lbs 3x6

DB Bench Press
90 lbs 3x10

Pull Ups
3x6 (5 second hang each rep)

Standing Single Arm Dumbbell Press
55 lbs 2x10

Bro Tings (50 curls 20 lbs DB in 4 mins)

As great as I think my gym is, there is a serious lack of 10 lbs plates. Had to jump up to 275 on bench even though I was looking to just do 10x3 with 265. By the time 10 lbs were available, had already messed up my workout as it was. Decided to just go down to 225 and do some volume. Form feels smooth at least. Will look to still do the 10x3 for my next upper body workout. The biggest takeaway from this workout was how light the 120s felt on rows. Could have probably done 2x10 with them. Will look to do that next week along with some Meadows rows.

3 Likes

Sunday AM, 7/2

Morning Weight: 190.0 lbs

I am dehydrated and barely ate yesterday other than after my workout. Personal things, sometimes life gets in the way, but at least kept my periworkout nutrition in check, so not worried about this long term.

Sunday PM, 7/2

Barbell Split Squat
135 lbs 1x5 each side

Squat (beltless)
205 lbs 1x8
225 lbs 1x3
265 lbs 1x3
295 lbs 1x3
315 lbs 3x1
205 lbs 3x8

Seated Leg Curls
3x10

Fixed Bar Split Squats
45 lbs 3x10

Back Raises (Glute-Focused)
BW 2x12

The squats felt oh-kay. Although Iā€™ve been focusing on unilateral stuff, I wanted to make sure I donā€™t completely forget what 3+ plates feels like on my back. I warmed up with the split squats to activate my glutes, and this helped me feel my posterior firing in the bottom-half of my back squats. All the reps felt smooth, and the core is catching up to my leg strength finally; was able to keep my torso upright and keep form steady throughout the movement. Everything is starting to come together, so hopefully I can be repping 315 (beltless) by the end of summer. Will do unilateral lower body work and lots of hip thrusts for my next lower body day, but may add in some high rep squats for good measure. 185 for 20 reps sounds good. Tomorrow will be another upper body push/pull day. Maybe start off with 10x3 OHP.

4 Likes

Monday AM, 7/3

Morning Weight: 192.0 lbs

1 Like

Monday PM, 7/3

Bench Press
265 lbs 5x3

Close Grip Bench Press (Hands 5 inches apart)
175 lbs 2x8

DB Bentover Row
110 lbs 5x5

I went to lift with a buddy and just kinda went along with whatever he did. This is much earlier in the day than I usually go. The original plan going into today was to do OHP, so I know I need to hit more overhead and pulling movements later tonight if I have the time. Even if itā€™s just light dumbbell and band work at home. 265 felt good on the bench and pretty sure I had 10x3 in me, which is what Iā€™ve been aiming to do before I move onto 275 for triples, but the workout was taking too long (I usually get through twice the number of exercises in the same time). I know I am not progressing weight-wise this past week, but greasing the groove feels good, and, more importantly, this is the best my back has felt in a long time. Even just at work today, moving around, doing my daily routine, my mobility and stability feels noticeably better, albeit far from where it needs to be. Key is to keep up with the consistency. I already had to cancel my PT for this week due to extra work for school, and theyā€™re fully booked because of the holiday.

3 Likes

JK, no more lifting happening tonight. Not gonna go too crazy though.

Have a happy 4th yā€™all, but fuck colonialism.

2 Likes

Not gonna smash down 5 buds than hit the gym like @Frank_C? Hahaha weeaaak!

2 Likes

Onto the bourbon now, brah. Maybe some band pullaparts before bed???

2 Likes

I took a nap! That helped lol

2 Likes

You didnā€™t blow yourself up on the 4th, did you?

1 Like

Monday AM, 7/24

Morning Weight: 185.8 lbs

And that kinda summarizes the last three weeks of my life.

1 Like

Wow that bourbon did not agree with you! What happened?

1 Like

July 3rd was my last day in the gym. I did go hiking a few times and also have had PT about once a week, but I just couldnā€™t find myself to get to the gym for a myriad of excuses. Probably the biggest one is starting a new job: bartending.

I have zero experience in a bar, but this pretty popular sports bar near my house was hiring and willing to train. I could use the extra $$$ and itā€™s always been a bit of a bucketlist job for me, so I figured why not. Biggest issue being it has totally fucked with my sleep (get home between 3 and 5am), and since I still work my day job, Iā€™ve really only been getting most of my sleep in the afternoons.

The positive is that bartending keeps me constantly moving, lifting kegs and beer cases every once in a while throughout the shift. Iā€™m the first male employee the bar has had in over a decade (my gf not super stoked that all my co-workers are hot chicks looking for tips), so I feel compelled to do the brunt of the lifting/restocking, especially since the ladies are the ones who really make us the money and Iā€™m still learning. Once I become fully trained, Iā€™m only supposed to work Friday and Saturday nights, so Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll get back into the gym more routinely when that time comes.

Yesterday and today, I did some light dumbbell (single arm rows, OHP) and bodyweight (push-ups, hip thrusts, SLRDL) work at my house, and I think thatā€™s what Iā€™ll stick with for now every other day. Maybe go in and do a full-body routine at the gym once a week. We shall see. Saddest thing is while Iā€™ve lost quite a bit of weight, Iā€™m not much leaner. Oh well.

2 Likes

You had me at sports bar :heart_eyes: haha those gains will come back with a vengeance when you hit the iron again mate. Have fun with the beer and the sports and the bar chicksā€¦ Hmmm maybe not too much fun with the bar chicksā€¦ Lol

1 Like

Haha amazingly, working there has had me drinking less. The owner is super strict on employees not drinking before/during/after work.

I was catching up on your log and mum said you need to do calf work. Sorry.