T Nation

Boring But Strong Still Relevant?

Is Boring But strong still recommended? I can’t find it anywhere in the internet except in old forum posts and reviews. The template in the Forever book is good but apparently it was first posted in Jim’s website, with more info, but it has been removed. So it begs the question: is it still relevant?

It hasn’t been removed from Jim’s website. “BBB Beefcake” was released a few years ago and is still very popular.

I have no idea what it means for the program to be relevant, but it’s still effective, just like how it was effective when it was released. Just like how Super Squats is still effective despite coming about in the 30s.

EDIT: Just realized you wrote BBS.

Still features regularly in 5/3/1 Forever, and you can find elements of it in 5/3/1 Building the Monolith. Still works for sure.

531 was created quite a while ago but it has gone through a lot of improvement along the years. That’s why I ask if BBS is outdated, because First Set Last is way more popular and is basically the same thing however at half the sets, so maybe FSL is the improved BBS.

But that doesn’t mean the stuff that came before doesn’t work. It worked when it was released. If it didn’t, the program would not have been popular.

What you’re observing are less improvements and more evolution. There are now even MORE ways to succeed. Meanwhile, I still use the first edition set-up for my press and have used it to press my bodyweight overhead for 12 reps.

And I wouldn’t say FSL is the same thing as all. LIke you noted: it’s HALF the sets. That makes it easy supplemental work, which is why you use it for when you’re pushing the main work hard. BBS, being hard supplemental work, is used when the main work is easier. Typically, you’d use BBS while using 5s pro for the main work, while FSL 5x5 would be used while going for PR sets on the main work.

This is a little off-topic, but I’ve observed this seeker mentality in both lifting and jiu jitsu. I know several low-level students who are intent on spending their mat time pursuing the latest secret sauce that’s being applied at the highest levels. Perhaps they believe them to be the most relevant techniques to pursue. I wish them luck. The landscape of technique changes all of the time, especially at the highest levels.

I’ve found sticking to the basic concepts and trying to build off of that has been the best way for me to get ahead. I’m not good enough at lifting or jiu jitsu to worry about anything other than fundamental principles for success.

4 Likes