Boring But Strong Challenge Question

Jim,

Just read the Boring But Strong Challenge on your webpage…bad ass.

I wanted to clarify, although it seems obvious, you recommend doing this on an upper and a lower movement…but the program you wrote out is for all of them… So, instead if I was doing the challenge for bench and deadlift…what (if anything) do I do for press/squat? Just my 531 reps…or do you recommend something else?

This is the ONE time I am sure you don’t mean for it to be followed as written.

Thanks for the awesome Challenge…I wanna jump in on my next cycle.

IMO - do it as written an eat like a mother fucker.

I read it as you would do 5/3/1 on squats and presses plus your normal accessory work instead of 10x5 work on those two days. Looks like a good challenge - let us know how it pans out for you.

This is a CHALLENGE, thus it is difficult. If you want to do it for one lift, that’s fine too. But that’s not a challenge - that’s the difference.

If you choose not to do the Challenge, I recommend doing FSL for the other lifts

I accepted this challenge shortly after it was posted on Jim’s forum. My training had been infiltrated by a little too much mental masturbation, and I thought this would be the antidote to that.

I am only a few weeks into it but it’s a fun way to train. It’s actually shaved my gym time down a bit which you might not expect.

Two tips if you take this on: 1. epsom salt baths are your friend, they’ll help the tissue recover a little bit quicker, and 2. take care of your hands, all that pulling in one day makes it easy to rip a callus if you’re not careful, so if you’re concerned about this i’d file them down or at least make sure you’re hands are fully chalked up and dry before you touch the bar.

I know this is a challenge, but is there a specific way to do it thats not a challenge (there’s the BBB plan and all the off shoot challenges)? What would the difference be between 10x5 and 5x10? ps Jim, keep up the great work. I love your no bullshit way of telling it, the new bands you introduce me to, and for giving me the best training plan ever.

[quote]HUNTER13 wrote:
I know this is a challenge, but is there a specific way to do it thats not a challenge (there’s the BBB plan and all the off shoot challenges)? What would the difference be between 10x5 and 5x10? ps Jim, keep up the great work. I love your no bullshit way of telling it, the new bands you introduce me to, and for giving me the best training plan ever. [/quote]

BBB has 5x10 for 50 total reps at about 50% while BBS has 10x5 for 50 total reps at about 75%. While I have never ran BBS I expect that difference in intensity to make a big difference compare to BBB.

If you don’t want to do the challenge just use BBS for one lift or for one upper and one lower lift like Jim says above and in the write up.

Not to hijack the OPs thread but I have a question also about BBS.

When doing the 5/3/1 sets on the last set do you go for a PR or just the required reps eg on 5/5/5 week on the last set is it 5 or 5+AMRAP?

Cheers

I just do required reps - as jim said it’s a challenge it’s supposed to be hard but if you choose to take a day where you just do your 5/3/1 sets an reps that would be the appropriate day to go for a PR. Just my opinion though it’s neither right or wrong.

I think it looks awesome although to be fair I hate high rep training. I’ve been cycling in BBB work for 10x3 to 10x5 for a while.

Thanks JMAC. Just wasnt sure if I missed the Boring But Strong program somewhere/some how. So just take 75% of training max and do 10 sets of 5.

[quote]HUNTER13 wrote:
Thanks JMAC. Just wasnt sure if I missed the Boring But Strong program somewhere/some how. So just take 75% of training max and do 10 sets of 5. [/quote]

No, there’s a progression there. Look at Jim’s website for the program

DISCLAIMER: Stupid question in progress…

Can we switch 5/3/1 and BBS? Ie:

Mon: Squat 5/3/1 + DL 10x5

Tue: BP 5/3/1 + MP 10x5

etc…

hey jim, the 5/3/1 sets and reps are to be done normal like 3x5, 3x3 , and week 3 5/3/1 ??? or just do 5/3/1???

thanks appreciate the help like the look of the challenge

[quote]fabiop wrote:
DISCLAIMER: Stupid question in progress…

Can we switch 5/3/1 and BBS? Ie:

Mon: Squat 5/3/1 + DL 10x5

Tue: BP 5/3/1 + MP 10x5

etc…[/quote]

No

[quote]Camm wrote:
Not to hijack the OPs thread but I have a question also about BBS.

When doing the 5/3/1 sets on the last set do you go for a PR or just the required reps eg on 5/5/5 week on the last set is it 5 or 5+AMRAP?

Cheers[/quote]

It’s 5’s PRO - as stated in the article.

[quote]bigtony200 wrote:
hey jim, the 5/3/1 sets and reps are to be done normal like 3x5, 3x3 , and week 3 5/3/1 ??? or just do 5/3/1???

thanks appreciate the help like the look of the challenge [/quote]

It’s 5’s PRO. As stated in the article.

[quote]HUNTER13 wrote:
Thanks JMAC. Just wasnt sure if I missed the Boring But Strong program somewhere/some how. So just take 75% of training max and do 10 sets of 5. [/quote]

No.

Please read the article thoroughly!

hey thanks Jim I understand now what is the 5 progression I found it in beyond 5/3/1 book. didn’t know what is was lol sorry. so simply it is

week 1 week2 week 3
65%x5 70x5 75x5
75x5 80x5 85x5
85x5 90x5 95x5
then do the 10x5 at the 70% weeks 1-3 and so on. boy this looks brutal would definitely have to drop the training max down alittle bit or I would get fried like southern chicken :slight_smile: