T Nation

Boring But Big without High Rep Deadlifts?

So I've been planning on doing the 3 month Boring But Big plan. I really like the plan as a whole but I've run into one problem: high rep deadlifts.

I have some issues with my lower back after suffering from a herniated disk a couple of years ago. I can still do deadlifts and even went to a powerlifting meet last month where I pulled a new personal best. The problem is that as soon as I start doing high rep work (anything above 5-6 reps) I get this nagging back pain that won't go away for 3-4 days, making it almost impossible for me to get any work in at the gym.

What I'm wondering is if I can replace the 5x10 deadlifts with something else for lower back work. I figured hyperextensions wouldn't be enough since the deadlifts are supposed to do more job than just in the lower back. Any advice on how to tackle this issue would be appreciated.

I ain't no Jim but have you ever considered perhaps changing it to 10 sets of 5 at 60% instead? Seems to follow the spirit of the program if you ask me.

Back problems for me too, so I did 5x10 on the GHR when I did 27wk BBB. Everything went up, so it worked. Train what you can.

I've back problems too, sometimes I even couldn't move because of the pain. However, since I've started deadlift my back improved and pain reduced too much. I did 6 weeks BBB challenge and now running 12 weeks BBB challenge and deadlift 5 x 10 without any issues. Pain reduces day by day as I progress into deadlift and Good Mornings. I think you might consider trying it high volume for sometime before you decide.

I'm not a doctor so don't take my words as a rule, it is just personal experience.

Good luck

Sure - just don't do anything or do something you can do that is somewhat related. Understand that doing all four lifts with BBB is something only inexperienced and/or weaker lifters can do or should do - I've addressed this many times before - so don't feel you need to do BBB for every lift (especially if one has broader, more awesome goals).

Personally, I'd tell you to do 5's PRO, 3-5x5 (FSL). Because that is simply the BEST option and you'll get more out of it.

"Personally, I'd tell you to do 5's PRO, 3-5x5 (FSL). Because that is simply the BEST option and you'll get more out of it."

I'm not sure what you mean by 3-5x5 FSL

Is it like this:
Week one (mainwork)
65% x 5
75% x 5
85% x 5

Then 3 to 5 sets of 5. Like this; 75%, 75%, 75%, 75% , 65% x 5

FSL is First Set Last.

So its 3 to 5 sets of 5 at 65%, for that week. Next week you do it with the first set of that week.

Its in the book, man...

I have the book, I have it right in front of me actually.
It's weird I somehow was convinced that FSL was just working your way backwards and going for a rep pr on the L set again. But that was the pyramid.
But it's there yes FSL; multiple sets.

I have 531, 2nd edition, where is this in the book? I have the book but don't remember seeing this. I searched but no luck. Back issue here sometimes too, good to know. Sorry for my ignorance..

I'm pretty sure it's in Beyond 531.

It's in Beyond. A bunch of stuff asked on here seeks to relate to Beyond.