T Nation

Boring But Big Challenge

My old log is here

I thought i would make a new log for running the BBB challenge

Squat 45/5,95/5,165/5,185/5,210/5 the form was pretty on the negatives but the weight didnt feel bad i could of probably got at least 10
Deadlift 165/5/10
Hanging Leg Raise knees up 3/10

Bench all work sets paused
45/5,95/5,120/5,135/5,155/5 was trying to touch really low for less range of motion
Military Press 75/5/10 tried to pause most lifts at the bottom
DB Row 50/5/10
Hammer curl 20s/3/10
Band Pushdown black over top of rack 3/10
The guys on the rack next to me were doing box squats but they were picking up their feet at the bottom i went over and asked them about and they said it worked abs… So i helped set them on the right path showing how to squat wide
I also met a couple of guys that may start training with me. The one guy said he had read pavels book and seemed really interested in training

Deadlift 135/5,155/5,185/3,215/5,245/5,285/5 mp3 died right before the last set
Squat 125/5/10 4 sets beltless last set through on the thin oly belt the first couple sets werent bad conditioning got in the way and the last 3 sets really sucked
Will do situps at home

Military Press 45/5,85/5,100/5,115/5
Bench 90/5/10 alternated thumbs width from the smooth and competition width
Lat pulldowns 85/4/10 going to do the last set at home
Tricep pushdowns 3/10 good pump here
Face pull 3/10

Are these weights kg’s or lb’s??

Also, your log is hard to read. Maybe list each lift in lines?
45x5
55x5
4356x1000

etc, etc…

How are you liking the BBB challenge so far?? If you have any questions, VTBalla34 and myself have a lot of experience with 5/3/1. Keep workin hard, man.

@Texican The weights are in pounds. Putting each lift in lines sounds like a good idea. The BBB challenge is going great the best part about it is the fact that there isnt a lot of options to choose from you just do the lifts and dont have to think about what assistance work you should be doing. I have had a problem in the past of over thinking the assistance work

[quote]mustangwrestling wrote:
@Texican The weights are in pounds. Putting each lift in lines sounds like a good idea. The BBB challenge is going great the best part about it is the fact that there isnt a lot of options to choose from you just do the lifts and dont have to think about what assistance work you should be doing. I have had a problem in the past of over thinking the assistance work[/quote]

Most definitely. Especially as a younger lifter, just getting in there and doing the work is the important part. You have a lifetime to adjust little things here and there. Take advantage of being young, being able to work hard, and recovering very quickly. BBB is a great assistance template and I usually use one version of it or another most of the time.

[quote]TheTexican wrote:

@Texican The weights are in pounds. Putting each lift in lines sounds like a good idea. The BBB challenge is going great the best part about it is the fact that there isnt a lot of options to choose from you just do the lifts and dont have to think about what assistance work you should be doing. I have had a problem in the past of over thinking the assistance work[/quote]

Most definitely. Especially as a younger lifter, just getting in there and doing the work is the important part. You have a lifetime to adjust little things here and there. Take advantage of being young, being able to work hard, and recovering very quickly. BBB is a great assistance template and I usually use one version of it or another most of the time. [/quote]

Hey i had a question do you vary your grip/stance on the BBB sets or just stick to one?

[quote]TheTexican wrote:

Most definitely. Especially as a younger lifter, just getting in there and doing the work is the important part. You have a lifetime to adjust little things here and there. Take advantage of being young, being able to work hard, and recovering very quickly. BBB is a great assistance template and I usually use one version of it or another most of the time. [/quote]
Hey i had a question do you vary your grip/stance on the BBB sets or just stick to one?[/quote]

For squat, I stay pretty much the same stance and grip for all barbell sets. I’m working in the safety squat bar a little now and I guess that’s a different grip. haha!

For press, it’s always the same grip/stance. Bench, I’ll run my hands from index on the inside of the knurling/outside of the smooth to about middle fingers on the rings.

As far as deadlift goes, I stay with a double over hand grip with my warm-up sets til about 315 or so then I switch my grip every set. It doesn’t matter what the weight or reps is, I’ll switch the strong hand every set to take some of the imbalance out of the training. I keep the same stance for all deadlift sets.

I compete and I want to make sure my form is spot on when the “animal instincts” take over.

Ok cool thanks that sounds like a good idea on the deads i have noticed that i have an imbalance in my left side vs my right

Bench Day
Bench
45/3/5
95/5
work sets (all paused metal militia style form)
130/3 all real easy toughest part is the negative the positive flies up
150/3 same as 130
165/3 last rep was tough mid range
Military Press
70/5/10 paused most reps
DB Row 50s/5/10 both sides
Hammer Curl 20s/3/10
Band extension 3/10
Band face pull 3/10
I’ll be having 4 chemistry test within the next week so the sleep is going to suck for about the next week

Squat Day
Squat warmup
45/3/5
95/5
135/3
work sets added belt
175/3
200/3
225/3 all easy could have gotten at least 8
Deadlift
165/5/10 these suck
Hanging leg raise
3/10 abs are really sore

Press day
45/3
65/3
95/3
110/3
125/3
Bench
90/5/10
Cable Row switched to these as i didnt really like the feel of Lat Pulldowns
80/5/10
Face pull 50/3/10
Tricep Pushdown 60/3/10
Hammer Curl 20s/3/10

Deathlift Day
Deathlift all sets double overhand
135/5
185/3
work sets
230/3
265/3
295/3 Double Overhand PR by 20lbs
Squat
125/5/10
Spread Eagle Situp
2/10 6

Bench and Deathlift Day
I had to do both today due to finals and having to travel up to kentucky for my grandmas funeral
Bench
140/5
155/3
175/3 forgot to stop at 1 did all sets at max legal width
Deathlift
245/5 double overhand
285/3 double overhand
295/1 mixed grip failed a double overhand at the top
Basically just did the assistance work in supersets
Squat
125/5/10 belt on last 3 sets, extreme low back pump
Press
70/5/10
Db row
50/5/10 both sides
Spread Eagle Situp
3/10

Squat
185/5
210/3
225/1 no belt this was way tougher than it should of been
Press
100/5
120/3
135/1 good grove on this rep
Bench
95/5/10 called it here

DEATHLIFTS, FOOL!!!

Haha Yea Buddy
Bench Day hips felt really tight after finals are over tomorrow will need to get back to foam rolling and stretching
85/5
100/5
120/5
Press
65/5/10 too easy ready for next wave
Barbell row standing on two 45s
115/5/10 need to work on initiating the movement with my lats
Hammer Curls 3 sets 10
Tricep Pushdown 3 sets 10
Face Pull 3 sets 10
Was a great day good my organic chem 2 grade back as an A

I am going to follow this log.