Boring But Big 5/3/1

What if i were to go to the + on the last set of 5/3/1 while running the boring but big? Wendler advises against this in the lates article, one of the only modifications he makes form the usual 5/3/1, im guessing overtraining, but it feels like i have tons of reps in the tank on the last set and i wanna pushem!!

If you want to push the last set he recommends against not doing his 3 month BBB program with the increasing percentages he posted about. Pushing the last set on the regular BBB template from the book is fine though as I recall

Anyone just use their “honest max” when plugging in the training max instead of using 90% of it? i know what my true maxes are and iam not interested in impressing ppl by inflated max fables just curious

what if you plug in your honest max instead of using 90% of it?

use 90% of your true max, and go nuts on your last set

[quote]MONSTERMATT wrote:
Wendler advises against this in the lates article, one of the only modifications he makes form the usual 5/3/1[/quote]

It is NOT a modification from the usual 531.
You CAN go to failure on the LAST work set (this is NOT BBB, this is the “531 sets”)
You DO NOT go to failure on BBB

BBB is 5x10 at 50%.

what if you plug in your honest max instead of using 90% of it? [/quote]

Follow the program as written. It was written that way for a reason.

[quote]plateau wrote:

Wendler advises against this in the lates article, one of the only modifications he makes form the usual 5/3/1[/quote]

It is NOT a modification from the usual 531.
You CAN go to failure on the LAST work set (this is NOT BBB, this is the “531 sets”)
You DO NOT go to failure on BBB

BBB is 5x10 at 50%.[/quote]

I don’t think you’ve read the article. If you are following the template outlined in the article, do NOT go for max reps on the last set. Get the required and move on.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

Follow the program as written. It was written that way for a reason.[/quote]

I think the guy wants to know what that reason is, Chris. There ain’t nothing wrong with that.

[quote]Freaky_Frankie wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

I think the guy wants to know what that reason is, Chris. There ain’t nothing wrong with that.[/quote]
It just seems like i have tons left in the tank on the last set of 5/3/1/ and if i run the BBB program iam suppose to just get required reps, and then move on to 5 sets of 10 with 50% and really those 5 sets arent all that hard easy, that is why i asked about using 100% as your training max as opposed to 90% ? guess this gets more challenging as it gets into the 3 rd week? interested in hearing your responses, since emailing Wendler is like emailing the president

i have always used 90/95% of a training max in a cycle, and always done more than 5 reps on the 85% day etc. I see those as bare minimum targets. If you can do 10 reps, why only do 5? My assistance exercises have never suffered

How long have you been doing 5/3/1?

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

I think the guy wants to know what that reason is, Chris. There ain’t nothing wrong with that.[/quote]

There’s a book for that.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

It just seems like i have tons left in the tank on the last set of 5/3/1/ and if i run the BBB program iam suppose to just get required reps, and then move on to 5 sets of 10 with 50% and really those 5 sets arent all that hard easy, that is why i asked about using 100% as your training max as opposed to 90% ? guess this gets more challenging as it gets into the 3 rd week? interested in hearing your responses, since emailing Wendler is like emailing the president[/quote]

Wendler never said to just get the prescribed reps when running the regular BBB template. He said to do this for the “3 month challenge” article he just posted on this site. They are not the same thing.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

It just seems like i have tons left in the tank on the last set of 5/3/1/ and if i run the BBB program iam suppose to just get required reps, and then move on to 5 sets of 10 with 50% and really those 5 sets arent all that hard easy, that is why i asked about using 100% as your training max as opposed to 90% ? guess this gets more challenging as it gets into the 3 rd week? interested in hearing your responses, since emailing Wendler is like emailing the president[/quote]

Wendler never said to just get the prescribed reps when running the regular BBB template. He said to do this for the “3 month challenge” article he just posted on this site. They are not the same thing.[/quote]SO the challenge in the 3 months is to hold off on extra reps in the first 5/3/1 exercise to save oneself for the 5 sets of ten that follow?

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

Wendler never said to just get the prescribed reps when running the regular BBB template. He said to do this for the “3 month challenge” article he just posted on this site. They are not the same thing.[/quote]SO the challenge in the 3 months is to hold off on extra reps in the first 5/3/1 exercise to save oneself for the 5 sets of ten that follow?
[/quote]

That’s right.

And BTW, here’s Wendler’s reason on why you should not begin 5/3/1 with your 1RM (Quoted from his e-Book):
“… by starting out at 10% less than your max, you won’t burn out, and you won’t plateau. So, leave your ego at the door and do it correctly. You don’t need to operate at your real max to make gains with this program.”

Earlier in that same paragraph he also says the following: “If you decide you don’t want to do this (Calculate with 90% of your 1RM), don’t do this program”.

Do you even have his e-Book?

YES considering the ease at which these 5x10 and the 5/3/1 sets were , i was considering a tweak, it is just going to require patience on my part, i read this entry but since everyone responds differntly to certain stimulus i was considering a slight deviation

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[/quote]

Yes. He laid this out pretty clearly in the article. The BBB sets will move up from 50% to 70%. This isn’t easy, and that is why you don’t go for max reps on the 5/3/1 sets.

YES considering the ease at which these 5x10 and the 5/3/1 sets were , i was considering a tweak, it is just going to require patience on my part, i read this entry but since everyone responds differntly to certain stimulus i was considering a slight deviation [/quote]

I think if they are really that easy, you may just need to up the weight you’re using. You might have calculated some numbers wrong when taking the %s of your 1rm or maybe you were off with how much your 1rm really is.

I just started 5/3/1 BBB last week and I definitely wouldn’t call anything easy even only being 2 weeks into the program. The first 2 sets of 5/3/1 aren’t all that hard, but then again for those you’re only around 60-70% so they aren’t meant to be crazy. I feel like I’m pushing myself a lot on the final set though.

531 is definately about patience if you feel the weight is to light. It will get heavy but starting light will allow for more improvement. It works don’t worry.

With the BBB program on squat and DL days I feel I could do more as well but I know each month will get more challenging.

I was on 531 Triumverant for roughly 8 months before I hit a palteau. Trying the challenge for the next 3 months.