T Nation

Boring But Big 3-Month Challenge Question

Hello. I am currently using StrongLifts 5x5 as my training program but am thinking about switching to 5/3/1. I was wondering if the Boring But Big 3-Month Challenge can be used as a regular training program or was it meant to be just a 3 month challenge as stated?

[quote]Big Grizz99 wrote:
Hello. I am currently using StrongLifts 5x5 as my training program but am thinking about switching to 5/3/1. I was wondering if the Boring But Big 3-Month Challenge can be used as a regular training program or was it meant to be just a 3 month challenge as stated? [/quote]

Read the book. In it, you’ll find an assistance template called Boring But Big which is the challenge but without the percentage increases on assistance sets - you just pick a percentage and adjust it when the training max goes up, e.g. 50% or 60%. In theory, you could do this template indefinitely.

[quote]Big Grizz99 wrote:
Hello. I am currently using StrongLifts 5x5 as my training program but am thinking about switching to 5/3/1. I was wondering if the Boring But Big 3-Month Challenge can be used as a regular training program or was it meant to be just a 3 month challenge as stated? [/quote]

The actual 3 Month Challenge is to be used for 3 months, thus the name.

BBB, if ultimate strength and fucking greatness is the goal, is used for 2-3 cycles at a time. And then another template is used for the final 2-3 cycles. But if being a fucking beast is not a concern, do it all the time.