T Nation

Bored, Changing Routine

I usually follow a typical split routine but every so often i get bored with the routine and do only 2 or 3 exercises for a couple weeks like cleans, hang cleans, rows, and push presses. I figure that if the stimulus is different and intensity is high gains are made. I was wondering how many other lifters do something similar if for no other reason other than boredom.

I’ve had sessions where I’ve only done one exercise for a bodypart, and just pounded away for my entire session (an hour of front squats anyone? Ouch!)

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’ve had sessions where I’ve only done one exercise for a bodypart, and just pounded away for my entire session (an hour of front squats anyone? Ouch!)

S[/quote]

I’ll do this sometimes when traveling. If the ‘guest gym’ has a piece of equipment I don’t normally have access to and the other stuff sucks, I’ll just pound away at it. Recently this happened with a ‘back day’. They had an HS Iso Row, but no heavy db’s, sucky lat pull down, etc. I just rowed and rowed and rowed.

Also, I seem to remember Dan John having a routine for one lift per day or something to change things up a bit. I’m sure that I saw that on TN.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’ve had sessions where I’ve only done one exercise for a bodypart, and just pounded away for my entire session (an hour of front squats anyone? Ouch!)

S[/quote]

I’ll do this sometimes when traveling. If the ‘guest gym’ has a piece of equipment I don’t normally have access to and the other stuff sucks, I’ll just pound away at it. Recently this happened with a ‘back day’. They had an HS Iso Row, but no heavy db’s, sucky lat pull down, etc. I just rowed and rowed and rowed.

Also, I seem to remember Dan John having a routine for one lift per day or something to change things up a bit. I’m sure that I saw that on TN.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve been in those situations. When Cat and I went on a cruise last summer, there wasn’t much to do for legs besides an extension machine. 90% of my quad workouts that week were walking DB lunges around the entire fitness area -lol. Got some interesting looks, but being only a week out of contest shape, no one said anything :slight_smile:

S

^^ you know youre hardcore when you keep working out even when youre on a boat in the middle of the ocean LOL

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’ve had sessions where I’ve only done one exercise for a bodypart, and just pounded away for my entire session (an hour of front squats anyone? Ouch!)

S[/quote]

I’ll do this sometimes when traveling. If the ‘guest gym’ has a piece of equipment I don’t normally have access to and the other stuff sucks, I’ll just pound away at it. Recently this happened with a ‘back day’. They had an HS Iso Row, but no heavy db’s, sucky lat pull down, etc. I just rowed and rowed and rowed.

Also, I seem to remember Dan John having a routine for one lift per day or something to change things up a bit. I’m sure that I saw that on TN.[/quote]

… Got some interesting looks, but being only a week out of contest shape, no one said anything :slight_smile:

S[/quote]

Was it because you looked great, or looked mad?

lol

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:
^^ you know youre hardcore when you keep working out even when youre on a boat in the middle of the ocean LOL[/quote]

Lol very true. yeah i mean i do stuff like this to switch things up but not for too long or my other lifts go down

I remember doing nothing but incline presses for chest/tri’s and bent over barbell rows for back for a friggin’ long time. Overhead press and flat bench didn’t really drop, and it was kinda fun to just sit at a station for an hour without worrying about any complicated routines.

To avoid boredom, I usually have a “mandatory” workout and I give myself enough room to do whatever I want after. For example, on Deadlift day, I try to hit 3x3 on my target Deadlift weight. After that, I do sumo’s, good mornings, romanians… whatever I feel like that day to get my posterior chain. Next week I want to one-arm deadlift.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’ve had sessions where I’ve only done one exercise for a bodypart, and just pounded away for my entire session (an hour of front squats anyone? Ouch!)

S[/quote]

I’ll do this sometimes when traveling. If the ‘guest gym’ has a piece of equipment I don’t normally have access to and the other stuff sucks, I’ll just pound away at it. Recently this happened with a ‘back day’. They had an HS Iso Row, but no heavy db’s, sucky lat pull down, etc. I just rowed and rowed and rowed.

Also, I seem to remember Dan John having a routine for one lift per day or something to change things up a bit. I’m sure that I saw that on TN.[/quote]

… Got some interesting looks, but being only a week out of contest shape, no one said anything :slight_smile:

S[/quote]

Was it because you looked great, or looked mad?

lol
[/quote]

Definitely the former, possibly the latter -lol

S