Border Fence?

[quote]adamhum wrote:
I live 30 minutes from the Arizona border with Mexico. The current border situation is a joke, I was told that we catch about 10% of the people trying to cross. I’d say the fence would make it atleast 40% which is a huge improvement.[/quote]

Yes, because now they`d have to try it twice.

The delay of 1-2 days is going to discourage them like you wouldn`t believe…

[quote]orion wrote:

Want to keep them out? Fine the shit out of companies that use their work.

That would lead to those companies closing their factories and re-opening them in Mexico but at least it would work.

[/quote]

The vast majority of illegals work picking produce or in meat processing factories. I don’t think either of those industries are going to get outsourced to Mexico. It’s not like illegals are working in the Unions at Chevy plants.

[quote]orion wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
orion wrote:
We`ll talk again after some Mexian enterpreneur has found a 1000$ way to get under/over/through your 7 billion fence…

You have such a defeatist attitude. Were you loved as a child?

There is election time in Austria, so I?m more pissed of than usual and my BS
meter is allready close to overheating…

The things you can smuggle on board of a plane are the same as before 9-11, Drugs are cheaper than ever, meaning 400 billion a year can`t keep them out, but a fucking fence is going to stop illegal immigration…

Pulleeeaaaseee…

That would lead to those companies closing their factories and re-opening them in Mexico but at least it would work.

Fact is, an influential part of the US likes the status quo, which is why it is going to stay that way, such BS projects are only means to entertain the unwashed masses.

5 years from now it will not have worked and they will find the next gimmick to use in elections.[/quote]

Good points. I heard an interview yesterday with a filmaker doing a documentary on the boarder situation. One of the more interesting things he said was that the smugglers (coyotes) are so well organized that a meat packing plant in the Midwest actually contacted them and placed an order (for cheap labor, that is)! A fucking order! I don’t know how true it is, but if it happened, it certainly illustrates the problem you mention above. Taking away the demand is the best place to start…

[quote]doogie wrote:
orion wrote:

The vast majority of illegals work picking produce or in meat processing factories. I don’t think either of those industries are going to get outsourced to Mexico. It’s not like illegals are working in the Unions at Chevy plants.
[/quote]

Cool, fine them then. Either the prize of food will go up or they will go out of business.

Acceptable for the US public?

how about mines?

[quote]orion wrote:
doogie wrote:
orion wrote:

Cool, fine them then. Either the prize of food will go up or they will go out of business.

Acceptable for the US public?[/quote]

For me, absolutely (my wife is a victim of identity theft). For the general public, maybe. The price increase will be offset by money spent on healthcare, prisons, education, ect for illegals.

[quote]doogie wrote:
orion wrote:
doogie wrote:
orion wrote:

For me, absolutely (my wife is a victim of identity theft). For the general public, maybe. The price increase will be offset by money spent on healthcare, prisons, education, ect for illegals.[/quote]

Do you have any figures to suppor this claim? Because I’m calling BS on this one. I think the cost of building a 7 billion dollar fence that isn’t going to do a whole helluva lot is going to cost WAY more than what you’re “wasting” on healthcare prison and education for illegals.

…and what does your wifes identity theft have to do with the issue of illegal immigration!? Are you trying to blame the e-crime in our country on people who can’t even speak fucking english!? Rediculous.

[quote]knewsom wrote:
doogie wrote:
orion wrote:
doogie wrote:
orion wrote:

For me, absolutely (my wife is a victim of identity theft). For the general public, maybe. The price increase will be offset by money spent on healthcare, prisons, education, ect for illegals.

Do you have any figures to suppor this claim? Because I’m calling BS on this one. I think the cost of building a 7 billion dollar fence that isn’t going to do a whole helluva lot is going to cost WAY more than what you’re “wasting” on healthcare prison and education for illegals.

…and what does your wifes identity theft have to do with the issue of illegal immigration!? Are you trying to blame the e-crime in our country on people who can’t even speak fucking english!? Rediculous.[/quote]

If you would read, you’d see that Orion and I were discussing the increased costs of goods if we began to fine the companies that hire illegals. Read it again, and if you still have questions about that part I’ll answer them.

My wife’s identity was stolen by an illegal alien. We’ve spent years and thousands of dollars trying to clear up the damage done to her credit. They stole her purse. I don’t know why you are so simple-minded that you think all identity theft (or even most) involves computers.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
how about mines?[/quote]

How about those unmanned Boeing drones? Equip them with paint bombs and then arrest anyone who shows up somewhere wearing bright green head to toe.

[quote]pookie wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:
how about mines?

How about those unmanned Boeing drones? Equip them with paint bombs and then arrest anyone who shows up somewhere wearing bright green head to toe.
[/quote]

That’s a great idea. But if we can hit them with a giant paintball - why not use real munitions?

You would only have to hit 1 out of 5 to scare the bejesus out of them into thinking twice about jumping the creek.

[quote]pookie wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:
how about mines?

[/quote]

great idea, also Homeland Security should dish out a couple billion to hire more border patrol and buy them the appropiate equipment.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
how about mines?[/quote]

Can’t do that. White people might step on them.

We need to build an “atlantic Wall” Just as the germans did in WW2 on the french coast.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
It was something like 370 miles. Why are you so hostile?

Sorry - the Haliburton comment pissed me off.

[/quote]Sorry RJ,just trying to inject a little Humor.

Are Erich Honecker and Egon Krenz still around? They could provide some valuable insight into the design and operation of this “fence”.

I think all this will accomplish is more entrepreneurial sea captains ferrying Illegals from Ensenada to San Diego, and from Tampico to Houston…unless we seriously beef up Coast Guard patrols.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:
how about mines?

Can’t do that. White people might step on them.[/quote]

That would only be a risk on the Northern Fence, which will eventually go up along the Canadian border. And anyway, the German Shepherds and electric fences will probably get them before the mines do. Unless of course they are shot by the guards in the towers. But who’s gonna miss a few draft dodgers and dissidents?

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Are Erich Honecker and Egon Krenz still around? They could provide some valuable insight as to the design and operation of this “fence”. [/quote]

Sorry, both dead.

How does a 700 miles wall manage to block off a 2000 miles border?

[quote]pookie wrote:
How does a 700 miles wall manage to block off a 2000 miles border?[/quote]

A lot of the land is too harsh to cross (and live).