Border Fence?

Good idea, stupid price. $7 Billion? Who bid this fucker? The thing had better shoot lasers and have plasma tvs.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Good idea, stupid price. $7 Billion? Who bid this fucker? The thing had better shoot lasers and have plasma tvs.

[/quote]

I agree. Phenominal idea, but 7 biliion?

That’s just fucking crazy.

$40 nails and $500 hammers!

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
$40 nails and $500 hammers![/quote]

Hmmm, we’ll need cheap labor to build it…

will hali-burton get the contract?

Who here thinks this will actually only cost 7 billion? That this is an initial estimate leads me to believe it will end up costing more in the end. Homeland Security estimates cost at 9 million per mile–it’s amazing what kind of money gets spent when those doing the spending are using other people’s money. I wonder what the Irealis are spending?

With that said, costs imposed by illegal immigration are estimated to be in the 70 billion dollar range, so maybe a 7 billion dollar fence is worth it…

DO you guys have any idea what you are talking about?

It costs at least 10K per mile to build a 5 strand barbed wire fence that stands only 5 feet tall.

Houses cost over 120 per square foot -

You are talking about building a concrete wall that is 3 feet thick and 10 feet tall and god only knows how long.

9 million a mile is not that much - if you cared to do a little math before running your mouth.

At any rate, it will only work if it is properly manned.

I hope they have sensors so when fools try to go under the fence or cut through it we can dispatch our guys with the quickness. Maybe send a UAV that drops tear gas or something. I think we need to really plan it well.

I’m sure they could get thousands of volunteers to help build the thing. I’d be out there in my spare time!

We`ll talk again after some Mexian enterpreneur has found a 1000$ way to get under/over/through your 7 billion fence…

[quote]rainjack wrote:

It costs at least 10K per mile to build a 5 strand barbed wire fence that stands only 5 feet tall.

You are talking about building a concrete wall that is 3 feet thick and 10 feet tall and god only knows how long.

9 million a mile is not that much - if you cared to do a little math before running your mouth. [/quote]

It was something like 370 miles. Why are you so hostile? Do you put up fences for a living? Granted I don’t know exactly how much it would cost, but $7 billion seems a little high. Granted it is probably not just a “fence”. Either way, if it keeps them out I say it’s money well spent.

Of course they’re going to try and try again and alot of them will succeed. But a fence is a step in the right direction.

[quote]orion wrote:
We`ll talk again after some Mexian enterpreneur has found a 1000$ way to get under/over/through your 7 billion fence…[/quote]

I agree, we spend that much each day in iraq, I say if the iraq’s are worth a trillion, we’re atleast worth 7 billion.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
rainjack wrote:

9 million a mile is not that much - if you cared to do a little math before running your mouth.

It was something like 370 miles. Why are you so hostile? Do you put up fences for a living? Granted I don’t know exactly how much it would cost, but $7 billion seems a little high. Granted it is probably not just a “fence”. Either way, if it keeps them out I say it’s money well spent.
[/quote]

[quote]rainjack wrote:

9 million a mile is not that much - if you cared to do a little math before running your mouth. [/quote]

Do a little math? Why then, if that is the case, was the estimate only 2 million per mile the last time the House voted to build this 700 mile fence, back in Dec of '05? What has changed, to the tune of 7 milion per mile, between then and now? Besides, in case you didn’t notice, most of the responses were in favor of the resolution, just questioned the cost–what’s so wrong with that? It’s our money after all…

its useless, I mean, the mexicans will just bring in some mongols to take it down!!

[quote]orion wrote:
We`ll talk again after some Mexian enterpreneur has found a 1000$ way to get under/over/through your 7 billion fence…[/quote]

You have such a defeatist attitude. Were you loved as a child?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
It was something like 370 miles. Why are you so hostile?
[/quote]

Sorry - the Haliburton comment pissed me off.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
It was something like 370 miles. Why are you so hostile?

Sorry - the Haliburton comment pissed me off.

[/quote]

Rainjack has cleared heard that horrible sound of barbed wire popping while stringing it. That’ll put anyone in a bad mood.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
orion wrote:
We`ll talk again after some Mexian enterpreneur has found a 1000$ way to get under/over/through your 7 billion fence…

You have such a defeatist attitude. Were you loved as a child?[/quote]

There is election time in Austria, so I?m more pissed of than usual and my BS
meter is allready close to overheating…

The things you can smuggle on board of a plane are the same as before 9-11, Drugs are cheaper than ever, meaning 400 billion a year can`t keep them out, but a fucking fence is going to stop illegal immigration…

Pulleeeaaaseee…

Want to keep them out? Fine the shit out of companies that use their work.

That would lead to those companies closing their factories and re-opening them in Mexico but at least it would work.

Fact is, an influential part of the US likes the status quo, which is why it is going to stay that way, such BS projects are only means to entertain the unwashed masses.

5 years from now it will not have worked and they will find the next gimmick to use in elections.

I live 30 minutes from the Arizona border with Mexico. The current border situation is a joke, I was told that we catch about 10% of the people trying to cross. I’d say the fence would make it atleast 40% which is a huge improvement.