T Nation

Booya, a PR Worth Posting

…at least for me.

This is totally self-centered, but honestly, this is the only place that appreciates this sort of thing around me.

I hit 315 pounds on a DL today with proper form and I’m pumped as all hell about it.

Felt awesome seeing those three plates on each side.

On another note, how you guys do 405 still blows me away haha.

Oh also, I did it without straps. You guys pulling 405 and above, are you using straps? Or is my grip just weak ass?

NIce job, keep adding weight and 405 will come soon. Keep pulling without straps and your grip will improve with your lift.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
…at least for me.

This is totally self-centered, but honestly, this is the only place that appreciates this sort of thing around me.

I hit 315 pounds on a DL today with proper form and I’m pumped as all hell about it.

Oh also, I did it without straps. You guys pulling 405 and above, are you using straps? Or is my grip just weak ass?[/quote]

Congrats! Do you pull sumo or regular? I’m approaching that as well, but there’s guys in my gym pulling 600.

Congrats on the PR now get on the road to 405!

-I never use straps. I don’t see much of a point in them since it doesn’t do you any good if you can pull 600 with straps but only 500 without, you can’t compete with straps! lol

Good job, I’m almost at 405, I never use straps, just a mixed grip. what kind of grip do you use. You can move more weight with a mixed grip than a double overhand grip. Chalk helps as well.

My grip has always been a limiting factor for me but, what I’ve found improves it is not using straps on assistant exercises, and using heavy 1 arm db rows as an assistant exercise.

I pull in the 528-550 range. When i tried 550 first time 8miss9 my grip was giving me trouble. up untill this point it never gave me issues. I started doing towel chins and within 4weeks my grip was up to speed and I didn’t have to think about my grip with heavy weights.

I never used straps much. Only for higher rep romanian deadlifts and hanging leg raises. Would rather just lift what I can by myself.

Mixed grip or hook grip is a must with heavy weights.

I’ve pulled 540 without straps. I’ve been into CoC grippers for a while, can close the 2 for 20 reps, and the 2.5 for about 5 or so. A little chalk is all I need, grip is never an issue.

Great job on the pr! Now get back in the gym and hit 405. You’ll be there in no time!!!

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
…at least for me.

Oh also, I did it without straps. You guys pulling 405 and above, are you using straps? Or is my grip just weak ass?[/quote]

Congrats! I hit the 315lbs a few months ago and it does feel good. I’m now pulling about 365lbs with no straps or belt. So 405lbs is very possible… and I’m also only 158lbs. Just keep pushing yourself the way you had to to get to 315lbs.

I always use straps for my heaviest set, but for all preceding sets I lift overhand grip, no straps. As my lifts get stronger, my grip strength does too, and I don’t feel like I’m holding back my DL. These days I can DL about 385 no straps, overhand grip, and about 425 with straps.

Congrats on the PR. I have mixed feelings on straps. I think you need to pull without straps some. That said, I like doing a lot my traingin lifts with straps because it allows me to rep weights that I can only single or double without straps. My best pull is 700. But I like doing knee-high rack pulls with straps. This allows me to handle 835 for a set of 4. I consider the ability to overload my top end like that worth the cost of neglecting my grip. Ditto on heavy rows and shrugs.

i have to agree with that when i was at even 350 405 seemed so far away, then one week after doing heavy singles i was in a mood to pr and BOOM 405 a 55 pound pr came out of no where, rack pulls and farmer holds i think help the more with grip, no straps too

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
…at least for me.

No straps, and I’m at 6 plates or so now. Keep pulling and your grip will also come along with it.

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
NeelyDan wrote:
…at least for me.

Oh also, I did it without straps. You guys pulling 405 and above, are you using straps? Or is my grip just weak ass?

Congrats! I hit the 315lbs a few months ago and it does feel good. I’m now pulling about 365lbs with no straps or belt. So 405lbs is very possible… and I’m also only 158lbs. Just keep pushing yourself the way you had to to get to 315lbs.
[/quote]

Why the hell would you max deads without a belt?

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
…at least for me.

Congrats, bro. One thing aside from the methods already mentioned that you might want to try are heavy DB rows without straps. They help your deads because of the back work, as well as helping your grip.

Thanks fellas. I’ll just keep avoiding straps, then. If that’s the best way of improving grip strength, I don’t want to take away from that. I’ll add some heavy one arm db rowing to my back routine.

For those that asked, I’ve been using an alternating grip, I can’t come close when using a double overhand.

I hit 315 on DL for the first time ever as well on tuesday. felt very good indeed.