Boondocks!

These cartoons are pretty great! tune in !

episode 1

ep. 6

Boondocks is pretty much neck-and-neck with Cathy as the worst cartoon ever.

I do not like this show at all. It is not that funny, and their attempts to be “extreme” come across as pretty lame. The only part that occasionaly made me laugh was the racist old black guy.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I do not like this show at all. It is not that funny, and their attempts to be “extreme” come across as pretty lame. The only part that occasionaly made me laugh was the racist old black guy.[/quote]

I really don’t think the point was to be simply hilarious. The entire series has a very strong social and political stance. Of all of the characters on it, the one I can’t stand at all is the one you find funny even though I get why he was created. I think it will leave most people either in full appreciation…or downright hatred for it.

That in itself could possibly qualify as an accomplishment. I know a lot of people are pissed at the show…including Al Sharpton among others. Reading the reviews for the books on Amazon.com shows the same split views. I bought the DVD for season one. I think anyone who would relate this to Cathy missed the point.

If anything, Doonesbury would be closer to relate it to.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
I do not like this show at all. It is not that funny, and their attempts to be “extreme” come across as pretty lame. The only part that occasionaly made me laugh was the racist old black guy.

I really don’t think the point was to be simply hilarious. The entire series has a very strong social and political stance. Of all of the characters on it, the one I can’t stand at all is the one you find funny even though I get why he was created. I think it will leave most people either in full appreciation…or downright hatred for it.

That in itself could possibly qualify as an accomplishment. I know a lot of people are pissed at the show…including Al Sharpton among others. Reading the reviews for the books on Amazon.com shows the same split views. I bought the DVD for season one. I think anyone who would relate this to Cathy missed the point.

If anything, Doonesbury would be closer to relate it to. [/quote]

I agree, the show is much more then comedy (though it does make me laugh). It has deep thoughtful themes, that aren’t exactly subtle. If you want the themese screaming in your face, watch the episode where Martin Luther King Jr. comes back to life.

If anything, Doonesbury would be closer to relate it to. [/quote]

Thanks for your take. I can honestly see why a lot of people like the show for the very reasons you stated. Most of my friends love it. I guess I just don’t get it.

Part of my problem is that I’m so used to silly cartoon humor I have a hard time taking animated stuff seriously. I guess I’m just expecting a bunch of dick jokes when I watch Adult Swim.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

Thanks for your take. I can honestly see why a lot of people like the show for the very reasons you stated. Most of my friends love it. I guess I just don’t get it.

Part of my problem is that I’m so used to silly cartoon humor I have a hard time taking animated stuff seriously. I guess I’m just expecting a bunch of dick jokes when I watch Adult Swim.[/quote]

There are at least three episodes from the first season on the DVD’s that I consider “brilliant”. I am very rarely laughing at any of them. Samuel L. Jackson does the voice of one of the white rich kids. If you aren’t getting a very strong purpose behind the shows, then you missed the point completely.

That isn’t to say I agree with everything the creator came up with. However, I understand where he is getting it from.

The show where Riley gets caught spraying graffiti and ends up being taught by a cartoon version of that guy that used to be on PBS with the blond afro painting landscapes and trees is possibly one of the better ones.

If you never saw the guy I’m speaking of, you just may miss the point of why that character was used. I don’t think any of those episodes was written just to be funny…even though grandad is clearly the voice of the father from Friday.

Boondocks is great. It blends political satire with ‘hip-hop’ vibe. Huey (the main character) just wants being to be real with themselves, to reflect on what’s really important in life. He admires MLK’s idealism but has the rage of Malcolm X.

If you like Dave Chapelle’s stuff, you would like Boondocks.

the boondocks puts shit out there that black and white can relate to, mostly black folks tho…every now and then u catch urself saying, oooh i betcha whites folks didn’t know that and black folks didn’t want them to know…sit back and take it in again. really watch and check the knowledge…
one

The TV show is just kinda meh, but the strips are hilarious.

There are two or three compilation bookes of them out. Well worth looking at.

[quote]harris447 wrote:

There are two or three compilation bookes of them out. Well worth looking at.[/quote]

A few of the episodes are genius, though. It’s going to be hard to get more than a couple really qualtiy shows a season out of it.

“bitches love smiley faces”

[quote]doogie wrote:
harris447 wrote:

A few of the episodes are genius, though. It’s going to be hard to get more than a couple really qualtiy shows a season out of it. [/quote]

Don’t get me wrong: the MLK episode was brilliant, and there are sporadic moments (mostly Grandad) that make me laugh, but the strips are where it’s at.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
doogie wrote:
harris447 wrote:

A few of the episodes are genius, though. It’s going to be hard to get more than a couple really qualtiy shows
a season out of it.

Don’t get me wrong: the MLK episode was brilliant, and there are sporadic moments (mostly Grandad) that make me laugh, but the strips are where it’s at.
[/quote]

I think I need to give this show a second chance…the First/Only pisode I watched was the “Nigga Moments” episode.

My wife was getting pissed off at the N-Bombs, so I changed.

I can’t get over that fact that Huey sounds EXACTLY like Regina King.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
I think I need to give this show a second chance…the First/Only pisode I watched was the “Nigga Moments” episode.

My wife was getting pissed of at the N-Bombs, so I changed.

[/quote]

It is Regina King.

Dirty Tiger wrote:

My wife was getting pissed of at the N-Bombs, so I changed.

It is Regina King.[/quote]

I know, it’s just way to obvious it’s woman’s voice…I realize I’m being bitchy.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

If anything, Doonesbury would be closer to relate it to.

I agree, the show is much more then comedy (though it does make me laugh). It has deep thoughtful themes, that aren’t exactly subtle. If you want the themese screaming in your face, watch the episode where Martin Luther King Jr. comes back to life.[/quote]

I love the show…the one with Martin Luther King jr is my fav. Like Prof X i’m going to buy the season 1 dvd.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
I realize I’m being bitchy.[/quote]

Yes, you are because no one had a problem with Bart Simpson for over 15 years.

[quote]ssn0 wrote:
These cartoons are pretty great! tune in !

episode 1

ep. 6

OK, I just watched a ton of clips on Youtube.

That is some truly funny stuff, telivision needs more show like this.

It’s funier/smarter than The Lost Episodes of Chapelle’s Show.

Dirty Tiger wrote:
I realize I’m being bitchy.

Yes, you are because no one had a problem with Bart Simpson for over 15 years.[/quote]

I am also rather dim…I didn’t know Bart was woman for a long time.