T Nation

Books

Ok, my mother in law gave me $50 for my birthday. I’m thinking about buying a couple of books. Is there any training book that you would suggest? I already have Keys to Progress & Super Squats. I was thinking about Dinosaur Training or the book about Pat Casey. Any suggestions?

Also did anyone read the Jan issue of Pure Power about pulling? Is it worth the $7.95 + S&H?

[quote]Olympiclfter wrote:
Ok, my mother in law gave me $50 for my birthday. I’m thinking about buying a couple of books. Is there any training book that you would suggest? I already have Keys to Progress & Super Squats. I was thinking about Dinosaur Training or the book about Pat Casey. Any suggestions?

Also did anyone read the Jan issue of Pure Power about pulling? Is it worth the $7.95 + S&H?[/quote]

Do you have the weightlifting encyclopedia by Arthur Drechsler? Best book EVER written on olympic lifting … something like 500 pages worth of good info.

As far as amount of information per dollar spent…

Supertraining - Mel Siff

Understanding everything in this book will take you a long, long time.

Tucker

CT’s e-book ‘Theory and Application of Modern Strength and Power Methods’ is a gold mine. So many different methods of training for only $29.95, no shipping.

[quote]tucker2024 wrote:

Supertraining - Mel Siff

Understanding everything in this book will take you a long, long time.

Tucker[/quote]

This book sits on my shelf and I swear that I can hear it laugh at me.

Facts and Falicies -also by Mel Siff is an alternative and an easier read.

Youch

How 'bout Pavel’s new book, “Beyond Bodybuilding”. Good stuff.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Do you have the weightlifting encyclopedia by Arthur Drechsler? Best book EVER written on olympic lifting … something like 500 pages worth of good info.[/quote]

I have to agree. I own it. laters pk

I agree with “Beyond Bodybuilding” by Pavel. It’s over 330 pages of excellent info on strength training as well as training for hypertrophy. Pavel’s way for mass training is very in tune some of T-Nation’s stuff: lots of volume, low reps,train each muscle twice a week or increase frequency, keeping body tight-hyperiridation, power breathing, etc and all that good stuff. Then there are sections on bodyweight conditioning and kettlebell training. It also covers all aspects of strength training: wave cycling, linear cycling, GTG, ladder training, periodization. You can check out the dragondoor site for more info.

[quote]Olympiclfter wrote:

Also did anyone read the Jan issue of Pure Power about pulling? Is it worth the $7.95 + S&H?[/quote]

On dinosaur training

It’s a book heavy on the HIT mentality with abbreviated training and using the basics. One thing I don’t like is that he states you must go to failure on every set or you’re not training heavy. There is some humour dissing bodybuilders in the book as well so I had a kick out of reading that. An excellent aspect is that that author also talks about lifting sandbags, logs, toying with tires , nails, awkward objects for functional strength. About a third deals with motivation and how to get it. All in all this is a great book to get for inspiration and motivation and it’s not that expensive as well.

In what topics are you interested? Overall performance enhancement? Endocrinology? Functional anatomy? Basic physiology? Nutrition? Supplementation?

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
In what topics are you interested? Overall performance enhancement? Endocrinology? Functional anatomy? Basic physiology? Nutrition? Supplementation?[/quote]

Mostly looking for something along the lines of strength training.

Thanks for all of the replies.

How about a Steve Justa book!

Drechsler’s book is pretty tough to beat. It covers a hell of a lot of ground.

Pavel’s “Beyond Bodybuilding” is awesome, a collection of articles.

Ironmind has a good selection, although not always scientific, more in the trenches type.

Supertraining and Science and Practice of Strength Training are also great.

I’m thinkin for 50 bucks you can buy two. Check amazon for used books, you’d be surprised how many weighlifting books they have.

[quote]AJbuilder wrote:
Olympiclfter wrote:

Also did anyone read the Jan issue of Pure Power about pulling? Is it worth the $7.95 + S&H?

On dinosaur training

It’s a book heavy on the HIT mentality with abbreviated training and using the basics. One thing I don’t like is that he states you must go to failure on every set or you’re not training heavy. There is some humour dissing bodybuilders in the book as well so I had a kick out of reading that. An excellent aspect is that that author also talks about lifting sandbags, logs, toying with tires , nails, awkward objects for functional strength. About a third deals with motivation and how to get it. All in all this is a great book to get for inspiration and motivation and it’s not that expensive as well.[/quote]

He does talk about 5x5 and multiple sets of low reps in the book but I agree that he does seem to equate the “hard work” of HIT to success. Overly simplistic. The making fun of bodybuilders gets old as well…BUT, overall it’s a good book. Lot of good info on odd object training and the mental aspect chapters were very good as well.