T Nation

Books

Can someone suggest a good book to teach my self biochemisty. Like a title of a introduction biochemisty book. Thank you.

This book here looks pretty promising. It got good reviews on Amazon.

Biochemistry (3rd Edition)
by Christopher K. Mathews, K. E. Van Holde, Kevin G. Ahern

Go to a college town or college bookstore at the end of August or beginning of January. There should be a few biochem books available there, as these will be the ones the profs use to teach classes.

You might want to try Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry. I have not used but it might be a good place to start. On top of that I would learn more of the basic sciences first, like general cellular and molecular biology, general organic chemistry, and some inorganic chemistry. If you have not already learned some of the basics, it will give you a better understanding of biochemistry and you will appreciate it more. I used Biochemistry by Garrett and Grisham, but I did not like it. If you have the time check out Molecular Cell Biology by Lodish et al, I believe it is a great book. This book can be found at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/ or just PubMed and look in the righthand corner for books and click that link. This link will actually give you the book online.