Books You've Been Reading

The road to surfdom

Ecominics in one leason

The Fountainhead

and 1984

I bounce between them depending on how I feel…

For school I am reading papers on the modeling of solidification and some books on HTML, Dreamweaver and InDesign.

finished Clive Cussler’s newest, not sure why I read his stuff. Kind of a guilty pleasure, the literary equivalent of 80’s hair metal. It’s predictable, not a lot of substance to it, but good for passing the time while riding long distances.

I’m actually reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s tales of a certain detective and his doctor roomate, Sherlock Holmes.

Fight Club
Haunted
H.P. Lovecraft’s Necronomicon
Robert E. Howards Horror collection
Will the autobiography of G. Gordon Liddy
the Enemies Foreign & Domestic trilogy
Anthem
The Stand
Salvation on Sand Mountain
Beowulf

Confessions of an Economic Hitman

by John Perkins.

good tinfoil hat stuff

Junkyard Dogs by Craig Johnson: You can’t go wrong when a book opens with an old man being pulled down an icy street bouncing off of mailboxes because his rope that was holding him from falling while putting a fire out in his chimney is tied to the back of a car being driven by the stoned girlfriend of his grandson who is chasing them both in a wrecker.

I am currently reading The Power of Plagues by Irwin W. Sherman: A look at epidemic diseases from a historical viewpoint. How Typhus, not the Russians, really defeated Napoleon. How plagues shaped religion.
It can get kinda technical and dry at times but it’s very interesting.

God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchins
The End of Faith by Sam Harris
Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris
Pig Perfect by Peter Kaminsky
The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr
The Angels Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (thought this sucked but read all 700 pages, so it couldn’t have sucked that bad)

[quote]schultzie wrote:
Confessions of an Economic Hitman

by John Perkins.

good tinfoil hat stuff[/quote]

speaking of John Perkins … I’m going to listen to him speak on Monday on the BP oil spill

should be interesting…

Had to read the Metamorphosis for English and it took me under an hour as well. Didn’t really like it. I’m currently reading Mein Kampf, and dear Lord it’s a heavy read. I’m always on the lookout for historical or biographical books, so if anyone has any recs let me know. Don’t really dig much fiction, but am open to suggestions.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Had to read the Metamorphosis for English and it took me under an hour as well. Didn’t really like it. I’m currently reading Mein Kampf, and dear Lord it’s a heavy read. I’m always on the lookout for historical or biographical books, so if anyone has any recs let me know. Don’t really dig much fiction, but am open to suggestions.[/quote]

Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa is obviously written from the Japanese viewpoint so sometimes you scratch your head and reread some parts but I think you’ll like it. If I had to list the 10 best books I have ever read I’m not sure what the other 8 would be but this one and 3 Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson are the first one’s that come to mind. If you like this, read his second book, Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan

a few others
Storm from the East: From Genghis Khan to Khubilai Khan by Robert Marshall
The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Hungry Ghosts: Mao’s Secret Famine by Jasper Becker

Think like a billionaire- Donald Trump

[quote]SickAbs wrote:
Think like a billionaire- Donald Trump[/quote]

I was gonna crack a joke, but I remember you’re an account or some bank manager, so you have book learning skills in you.

Currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Too many right now…

The Development of Muscular Bulk and Power - Ditillo

Iron John - someone

Six Pillars of Self-Esteem - also someone

Dave Draper - Brother Iron, Sister Steel (Got this signed by Mr. Draper himself over the interwebz!!!)

and always The Economist

[quote]Jfbalabama wrote:
Fight Club
Haunted
H.P. Lovecraft’s Necronomicon
Robert E. Howards Horror collection
Will the autobiography of G. Gordon Liddy
the Enemies Foreign & Domestic trilogy
Anthem
The Stand
Salvation on Sand Mountain
Beowulf

[/quote]
If you haven’t read Rant (by Chuck Palahniuk) I highly recommend it. It is the most recent of his that I have read and it is jaw droppingly amazing!

Entangled Minds: Extrasensory Experiences in Quantum Reality

Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness

The Vegetarian Myth

Under The Dome

War On The Run - the story of Robert Rogers. Fantastic historical account of Roger’s Rangers.

Ubik - Philip K. Dick

Stars of the new Curfew - Ben Okri

The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea

Its the most schizophrenic book I’ve ever read.

[quote]sen say wrote:
God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchins
The End of Faith by Sam Harris
Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris
Pig Perfect by Peter Kaminsky
The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr
The Angels Game by Carlos Ruiz ZafÃ?³n (thought this sucked but read all 700 pages, so it couldn’t have sucked that bad)[/quote]

Lawl…atheist.