Books That Will Make Me A Stronger Person

In the queue … I’ve read a few essays of his on his blog - very intriguing thinker…

1 Like

That would have been a hard time to be a ninja with all of the kung-fu going on.

yeah I bet ninjas in general hated the 70s. Kind of like how serious lifters hate when all the normal people join gyms in January.

1 Like

Yup.

If nothing else, Taleb’s way of thinking and his view of the world is worth reading imo.

The older thicker kind of encyclopedias. Brittanicas preferrably. Toss a set of them in a ruck and walk for a couple hours a few times a week.

2 Likes

You win one internets … Nice post

I liked think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill.It’s basically about how thought can make or break your plans for success

Yeah really stirring stuff. I will def check out Will to Power, yet to get round to it

What about ‘the way of the samurai’ by yamamoto tsunemoto? I loved that book as a teenager. It’s written for a completely different time about things that no longer exist, but it certainly inspires and bits of it stick forever in the memory, like that bit about pissing on people’s faces and stamping on them with straw sandals.

The New Testament, specifically the gospels.

“Atlas Shrugged” Ayn Rand

“Stranger than fiction: True Stories” Chuck Palahniuk

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck

No Ayn Rand!

Don’t waste your time with that shit.

2 Likes

Ayn has some interesting ideas, Nards. Let the OP decide what he views as shit or not.

A lot of smart, successful people list her books as influences in their lives…

There’s no harm in reading it, if only so you can speak with some authority as to why she was, in your opinion, wrong. A lot of books have that to recommend them. I read plato’s complete works as a child and developed a deep loathing for him and his ideas, but I wouldn’t opt not to have read them.

2 Likes

Exactly

None.

Especially not the corny american army books.

1 Like

I am embarrassed to say I read almost all of her stuff.

At least I can say it was over 20 years ago.

I do like that in the pre-internet age she was the one who woke me up to reason and logic. Sounds crazy but she made me an atheist, I’ll give her that.

Not really sure why you’d be embarrassed? Agree or disagree with her general philosophy or outlook - she had interesting ideas which still resonate today.

By no means do I think she’s the greatest writer but she makes one think critically about society and the idea of what it means to be human. Some buy into it, some don’t - we balance each other out and SHOULD lend to civil discourse.

There’s nothing to be embarrassed about either way, honestly - I think to say you were embarrassed to have read her stuff might make someone else who could benefit, at this time in their life, not read her for whatever reason or frame her writing, a priori, as something to be embarrassed about. Rand shouldn’t be looked at as something to covertly read. I feel the same way about basically any other kind of literature. Free market of ideas - honest discourse - are corner stones of a civil, free society. I find these ideals lacking, honestly, in today’s society. Not necessarily among anyone here on these boards, but just what I’ve observed in the media.

Sorry for the rant. I came here to chew bubble gum and rant, and I ran outta bubble gum on the way to work…

“One Good Trade” Mike Bellafiore