Books on Sprinting

[quote]WRCortese5 wrote:
I agree with what you said. I was not suggesting that he follow the entire GPP format to the T, but that he take a look and adjust to what he feels would be best suited to his goals. Nothing wrong with improving sprint speed as a byproduct of training in my opinion, even as a recreational athlete.

[/quote]

Yeah definitly- I keep putting the GPP DVD on my “to buy” list, but since I’m not a sprinter (volleyball), nor do I train sprinters, it keeps getting pushed off for other stuff.

[quote]peterm533 wrote:
WRcortese5 wrote:

"…if you are training for sprints, you are going to get lean regardless. Have you ever seen a top sprinter that WASN’T ?

I disagree.

Of course “top” sprinters may be lean but it is totally illogical to assert a generalisation that sprinting therefore makes you lean.

I am afraid that you are simply associating the fact that successful sprinters are lean (and of course young)and drawing a causal connection.

Of course you do not want to carry extra weight as as a sprinter and so you would expect successful sprinters to be lean.

However, there are a number of older adult sprinters at my local track who are not that lean simply because they do not expend sufficent calories.

As further evidence plenty of soccer players at various levels carry more body fat than you might expect given the time they spend sprinting.

Successful sprinting requires low body fat. It dose not necessarily cause it. [/quote]

Sprinting is a tool, just like weight training. If you lift weights with the right parameters, your muscles will grow. If you sprint with the right parameters, you will get lean.

Achieving leanness totally depends on the type of sprinting you’re doing. The shorter sprinting (30-60m dashes) is more about power and muscular explosiveness. Shorter sprinting is great for really hitting your posterior chain muscles with some excellent stimulus. Also, you’ll notice short-distance sprinters at all levels can still carry quite a bit of fat. For leanness though, look at the longer sprinter. You’ll see far fewer thick 400M runners that you will 100M runners.

To really start to noticably lean out overall, you have to train at or above your anaerobic threshold, or lactic threshold. This can be accomplished by manipulating three key variables in a sprint interval training program: pace, distance, and rest interval. Your body can produce energy anaerobically for about 25 secs at an all out sprint before reaching the point where it can no longer clear the lactic acid from their blood. This is known as the Onset of Blood Lactate Accumulation (OBLA). Of course this varies depending on how trained you are. World class 400M runners can probably maintain all out sprinting for about 30 secs, before hitting OBLA. The whole trick to long sprinting is to increase cardiovascular conditioning in order to push the point of OBLA as far out in time as possible, increase your footspeed so you can cover more ground before you hit OBLA, and then have the strength to prevent a massive dropoff in performance after OBLA.

To get significant benefit from sprint interval training in terms of leanness, you have to train at or above that OBLA for the workout.

And your rest intervals have to be just short enough to allow your body to not quite clear your lactic acid. For example, if you can run a 25sec all out 200M dash, then a good interval training workout might be to run 6x200’s at 30-32sec pace with 2 minutes in between each one. This will get you right up to OBLA with each run, and by the end of the workout, you might be up over OBLA by the end of each 200. As you gain speed, fitness and strength, you can move up to 300’s or 400’s, eventually working up to something like 3x400M at 60-65 sec pace with 2-3 minutes rest. But trust me, if you start right away with 400M, your pace will quickly be a lot more synonymous with a distance workout than a sprint workout.

You can do this with shorter sprints, like 50-100M, but because the duration of each run is so much shorter (less than 15 sec), you HAVE to really shorten your rest time to get your body up to OBLA by the end of the workout. So that kind of interval workout might look something like 8x100M with 1-1.5 min rest, or 8x50M with 30-45 sec rest.

I’m just throwing a bunch of examples of workouts, but there’s a lot of stuff out on the net about lactic threshold and OBLA in relation to interval training. You’ll be able to find all kinds of recommendations in terms of rest intervals, pace, and total workout distance covered.

Its just like set/rep/load/tempo combinations for weightlifting. You can vary all parameters for changing stimulus. I’m sure any of the books mentioned will give you a good start too.

[quote]beans wrote:
peterm533 wrote:
WRcortese5 wrote:

"…if you are training for sprints, you are going to get lean regardless. Have you ever seen a top sprinter that WASN’T ?

I disagree.

Of course “top” sprinters may be lean but it is totally illogical to assert a generalisation that sprinting therefore makes you lean.

I am afraid that you are simply associating the fact that successful sprinters are lean (and of course young)and drawing a causal connection.

Of course you do not want to carry extra weight as as a sprinter and so you would expect successful sprinters to be lean.

However, there are a number of older adult sprinters at my local track who are not that lean simply because they do not expend sufficent calories.

As further evidence plenty of soccer players at various levels carry more body fat than you might expect given the time they spend sprinting.

Successful sprinting requires low body fat. It dose not necessarily cause it.

Sprinting is a tool, just like weight training. If you lift weights with the right parameters, your muscles will grow. If you sprint with the right parameters, you will get lean.

Achieving leanness totally depends on the type of sprinting you’re doing. The shorter sprinting (30-60m dashes) is more about power and muscular explosiveness. Shorter sprinting is great for really hitting your posterior chain muscles with some excellent stimulus. Also, you’ll notice short-distance sprinters at all levels can still carry quite a bit of fat. For leanness though, look at the longer sprinter. You’ll see far fewer thick 400M runners that you will 100M runners.

To really start to noticably lean out overall, you have to train at or above your anaerobic threshold, or lactic threshold. This can be accomplished by manipulating three key variables in a sprint interval training program: pace, distance, and rest interval. Your body can produce energy anaerobically for about 25 secs at an all out sprint before reaching the point where it can no longer clear the lactic acid from their blood. This is known as the Onset of Blood Lactate Accumulation (OBLA). Of course this varies depending on how trained you are. World class 400M runners can probably maintain all out sprinting for about 30 secs, before hitting OBLA. The whole trick to long sprinting is to increase cardiovascular conditioning in order to push the point of OBLA as far out in time as possible, increase your footspeed so you can cover more ground before you hit OBLA, and then have the strength to prevent a massive dropoff in performance after OBLA.

To get significant benefit from sprint interval training in terms of leanness, you have to train at or above that OBLA for the workout.

And your rest intervals have to be just short enough to allow your body to not quite clear your lactic acid. For example, if you can run a 25sec all out 200M dash, then a good interval training workout might be to run 6x200’s at 30-32sec pace with 2 minutes in between each one. This will get you right up to OBLA with each run, and by the end of the workout, you might be up over OBLA by the end of each 200. As you gain speed, fitness and strength, you can move up to 300’s or 400’s, eventually working up to something like 3x400M at 60-65 sec pace with 2-3 minutes rest. But trust me, if you start right away with 400M, your pace will quickly be a lot more synonymous with a distance workout than a sprint workout.

You can do this with shorter sprints, like 50-100M, but because the duration of each run is so much shorter (less than 15 sec), you HAVE to really shorten your rest time to get your body up to OBLA by the end of the workout. So that kind of interval workout might look something like 8x100M with 1-1.5 min rest, or 8x50M with 30-45 sec rest.

I’m just throwing a bunch of examples of workouts, but there’s a lot of stuff out on the net about lactic threshold and OBLA in relation to interval training. You’ll be able to find all kinds of recommendations in terms of rest intervals, pace, and total workout distance covered.

Its just like set/rep/load/tempo combinations for weightlifting. You can vary all parameters for changing stimulus. I’m sure any of the books mentioned will give you a good start too.[/quote]

Why is OBLA necessary for burning fat ? My understanding is that alot of the extra calories burnt from sprinting occurs during EPOC (Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption).

I’m not sure about short distance sprinters being less lean than their long distance counterparts, most elite 100m sprinters have been around 6-8%. 400m runners tend to carry less muscle mass rather than less fat mass.

Apart from that, excellent post with good recommendations. I also will add that reading through Charlie Francis’s books/forum is a good idea.

[quote]B.Ford wrote:

beans wrote:
<see above post, removed for length>

Why is OBLA necessary for burning fat ? My understanding is that alot of the extra calories burnt from sprinting occurs during EPOC (Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption).

I’m not sure about short distance sprinters being less lean than their long distance counterparts, most elite 100m sprinters have been around 6-8%. 400m runners tend to carry less muscle mass rather than less fat mass.

Apart from that, excellent post with good recommendations. I also will add that reading through Charlie Francis’s books/forum is a good idea.

[/quote]

I agree about the EPOC thing. That definitely accounts for extra calorie burn. EPOC is also improved through OBLA training. As far as why training at OBLA levels helps burn more fat, here’s my understanding of it:

Anaerobic training burns glycogen (carbs) for energy because carbs are the faster energy source. However, a byproduct of that glycogen–>energy conversion is lactate. Burning fat for energy actually produces no lactate, but its just a slower process than glycogen energy stores, so it cannot provide all the energy needed for anaerobic work.

All these reactions take place in, or partially in your cell’s mitochondria. Your mitochondria also are responsible for clearing the lactate out of your blood when it is produced by anaerobically working muscles and converting it for more energy production. You’ve reach your OBLA when your lactate level is saturating your bloodstream so much that your cell’s mitochondria can no longer clear the lactate from your blood fast enough.

Naturally, your body wants to become more efficient in response to training stimulus. The body’s response to training at your OBLA consistantly is to increase the number of mitochondria in your muscle cells. Another response also is the increase the efficiency of fat utilization by those mitochondria, so that your body can get more energy from fat, which reduces lactate levels.

It is thought that this is accomplished through an increase in enzymes responsible for fatty acid transport into the mitochondria, allowing greater fatty acid absorption and conversion to energy.

This lactate clearance taking place in your mitochondria also is one of the contributing factors to increasing EPOC.

So, OBLA training yields more mitochondria, each of which “learns” how to burn more fatty acids, and each of which also contribute more to EPOC. That last part is accomplished by the mitochondria’s continued clearance of lactate from the blood after the workout has ended. All this leads to increased fatty acid metabolism through LT training.

I think this effect is not nearly as evident in shorter sprinting work because the body is not pushing nearly as close to the LT for as long, so the body does not learn to adapt as well by increasing its mitochondrial concentration and resultant LT.

I just got this book which I think is good for what it is. It does not address how to sprint or correct form. What it does is apply research that was done by Weyand on what actually makes one person faster than another. The main results of the book are that your main exercise to increase sprinting speed should be the deadlift with low reps. You don’t really need the book to just go out and sprint, but it has some interesting things to say about weight training for athletes and especially sprinters. See
http://www.bearpowered.com and the book “Underground Secrets to Faster Running”.

Keep an eye on kelly baggett’s upcoming speed/sprinting manual.

Go and run like something you fear is chasing you and just keep running until you end up on the side of the track because you fell over from being so tired and your laying in your own vomit.

Intensive tempo better? Look at the athletes whose programs do all intensive tempo and look at the ones that do speed/ext. tempo off and on. They people in the former have little muscle and are skinny as hell and the other guy are generally ripped as shit with more muscle.

[quote]davan wrote:
Intensive tempo better? Look at the athletes whose programs do all intensive tempo and look at the ones that do speed/ext. tempo off and on. They people in the former have little muscle and are skinny as hell and the other guy are generally ripped as shit with more muscle.[/quote]

It’s a balance. I’ve actually thought that the more “ripped” runners are the 400M guys. Of course the 100M sprinters are usually more “jacked”, but not as “ripped”. Its all in your definition.

You look at Justin Gatlin or Maurice Green. Sure, they’re big, but they’re not as shredded. Of course they’re more shredded than the average joe, so when we see them on TV, we think, “dang those guys ripped”. But if you notice the 400M guys, they may not have as much muscle, but those guys are REALLY “ripped”. You can see a lot more veins, striations, seperation in their musculature.

Of course their training tends to cause them to drop more muscle. but fortunately for us, we can gain the benefits of the fat burning aspect of their training, but we’re not trying to attain world-class 400M speed, so we don’t have to run 400M training workouts 3 times a week and we don’t have to go through the catabolism that they do. We can get the benefits of that training and not experience the muscle loss.