T Nation

Books on Powerlifting

Anyone know any good books on powerlifting and strength training? I recently started and want a good solid foundation to start. Thank in advanced

531 for powerlifting
Anything Jim Wendler writes.

The Max Effort Manual was the best book Jim Wendler wrote. Check out “Powerlifting” by Bryan Mann and that other guy. I havent read it yet but it sounds pretty sweet from the reviews.

As far as a straight barbell strength book, starting strength is awesome. The Westside Book of Methods is worth the read as well.

If you decide to read the Westside Barbell Book of Methods, read it like, 8 or 9 times, because you won’t understand it the first 5.

I’m also trying to get the Ed Coan book.

CS

It’s old, but Power: A Scientific Approach by Fred Hatfield is one of my favorites in my collection.

A Storm of Swords is a good read.

• Westside book of methods
  • 531 for powerlifting
  • Under the bar
  • The vault (by dave tate)
  • Starting strength

There’s lots of good info in WSBBOM, but it’s a far cry from a good book
It’s actually a terrible terrible book, mostly due to Louie Simmon’s incomprehensible, flickering, all over the place train of thought

A terrible book with great info

It’s actually a terrible terrible book, mostly due to Louie Simmon’s incomprehensible, flickering, all over the place train of thought

A terrible book with great info

[quote]want2getlean wrote:

A terrible book with great info[/quote]

I agree that it is written terribly because he is all over the place, but if you take notes and pay attention it has tons of useful info.

Supertraining by Mel Siff. I had a list of lifting books that I want, but I misplaced it. Hopefully this thread will help me recreate said list.

[quote]airmax17 wrote:
Anyone know any good books on powerlifting and strength training? I recently started and want a good solid foundation to start. Thank in advanced [/quote]

If your just starting than starting strength by Mark Ripptoe is a great place to start. 5/3/1 is good aswell. Personally I would skip Westside for a while. Like some of the other guys said it is terribly confusing and I would say overwhelming for someone just starting. Westside Book of methods was the first overpowerlifing book I read and it just confused me and over burdened me with things I didn’t need to worry about. Start with the basics.

Lots of stuff by:

Verkoshansky
Issurin

Those two have put out so many quality books about training and a lot of the science to back it up.

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
A Storm of Swords is a good read.[/quote]

Quite.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Lots of stuff by:

Verkoshansky
Issurin

Those two have put out so many quality books about training and a lot of the science to back it up.[/quote]
x2, im currently reading supertraining and learning ridiculous amounts of awesome stuff

Verkoshanshy and Siff 's Supertraining is T H I C K !

Wendlers 5/3/1 for powerlifters

Zatsiorsky’s Science and Practice of Strength TRaining

Bompa and Di Pasquales Serious Strength Training

Di Pasquales Anabolic Solution for Elite and Recreational Powerlifters (nutrition)

Simmons, Louis Westside is good but to reiterate, Simmons can be scatter-brained

Rippatoe’s Starting Strength, specifically THIRD addition.

There ya go. 6 months of good reading provided you do not have to reread Supertraining 5 times ; )

Has anyone read Dan Austin/Bryan Mann’s new book called Powerlifting?

Not a book but Glenn Pendlay’s forum posts (which have been compiled here and there around the net) are fantastic.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Has anyone read Dan Austin/Bryan Mann’s new book called Powerlifting?[/quote]

Thats the one I was talking about. Bryan Mann is smart as shit. As soon as that becomes available on the kindle, I am buying that for sure.

Lots of good suggestions here. Let me add to the list

“Purposeful Primitive” By Marty Gallagher

Little training, nutrition, and cardio how to with some powerlifting history thrown in