Books on Business?

Hey all,

I’m interested in learning a bit more about the business world. I’m not a total newb to the principles, as I’ve done some college coursework in accounting, econ, business law, marketing, management and finance (all intro courses, basically).

Stuff I’m interesting in:
-Business structures (specifically businesses that an entrepreneur would set up). For instance: I’d like to know, specifically was an LLC is (well, I know what is…sort of) and how one would set an LLC up. What about other options for setting up a company? What are benefits of different type of companies? etc.

-I’m also interested in investing. More specifically, types and benefits of different investments. obviously stocks, bonds, etc. but also how index funds work/operate etc. I can do some basic financial analysis and know what the ratios mean and can do some trend analysis things as well. I’d like something that could flesh out my knowledge of market structure.

-General things about entrepreneurship

Any suggested reading?

Maybe I can start here: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Successful-Entrepreneur/dp/0028633849/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210223184&sr=8-6

The Richest man in Babylon

The best way to head down that road is to meet small business owners in a local small business network and talk to them about what it is you want to learn. I’ve read every business book under the sun, but they never come close to giving you real world perspective. Books written to sell copies, not necessarily inform. Start hanging out with entrepreneurs and you’ll find all sorts of opportunities and info you can’t buy on any store shelf.

If you’re interested in learning about business entities, ask a lawyer and CPA about them. They’ll give you the real world scoop that a book can’t.

However, if I was forced to pick one book and one book only, it would be Napoleon Hill’s Think and Grow Rich. Basically, he tells you to pick a goal in business and do whatever it takes to succeed…study hard, go to work for someone who does what you want to do, ask questions of successful people, find mentors, and never stop your quest for the top.

10 years ago Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad, Poor Dad gave me a new view on money. I would read his first book and forget the rest of them. Books 2-50 just rehash all the points in his first book. If you want to play a fun, educational game, buy his Cashflow 101 game. It’s actually pretty damn good. Think of it as Monopoly on steroids. It teaches you how to read and analyze balance sheets and income statements and how to evaluate real estate and business investments. I think they have a computer version now. I wouldn’t throw too much money his way, but it’s a great starting point.

Cheers.

You want to be rich? copy the way the rich became rich? Study the hell out of them, try to do everything they did to get there.The principles are the same. If you want to be like Arnold, who are you going to copy? same thing for business. You are who you mimic.