T Nation

Books on Building Business

Just curious if anyone has read any good books on building your business or entrepeneurship. Also, does anyone know if there are taped seminars/books on building business in the fitness industry? thanks

Bookyourselfsolid.com I just finished the audiobook so I haven’t had time to apply any of the principles but it seems like good info. It does specifically discuss the fitness industry. A.C.

There are places that will provide free consulation, offer workshops, and the like. Check out http://www.sba.gov and start reading. Also look into SCORE, or your local SBDC chapter.

I don’t have any books to suggest, however.

This should be required reading for anyone in professional work or having their own business.

Cashflow Quadrant
Robert Kyosaki

Although some of his other theories are debatable, his mind framework is worthy of analysis.

The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber.

[quote]sawadeekrob wrote:
This should be required reading for anyone in professional work or having their own business.

Cashflow Quadrant
Robert Kyosaki

Although some of his other theories are debatable, his mind framework is worthy of analysis.[/quote]

I’ll second this. I’m a big fan of Kyosaki.

[quote]kelleyb wrote:
The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. [/quote]

This is a great subject for business owners to read and understand. For years I have seen friends of mine start a business in something they enjoy doing for fun, then not realize they need to step back and learn to not only be the technician but be the CEO too. Not enough small business people realize they need to see the big picture first, then work on the details.

Not to be a dick, but does everyone posting here actually know a book is good because of experience applying its concepts? Or did you just read a book and like it?

Kyosaki is a fucking scumbag.

Get every book by Dan Kennedy. Just go to Amazon and order them all at once.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:

Kyosaki is a fucking scumbag.

[/quote]

Listen to Nate.

Kyosaki is a liar, plain and simple. He has NO idea what he’s talking about, and half of what he says is just made up.

Kiyosaki never had a “rich dad”. This is a complete marketing scam. I do admire him for his marketing skills, but he is not completely truthful in his books. Oh well, a sucker is born every minute.

Depending on how much you want to know “Legal Guide for Starting & Running a Small Business” by Fred S. Steingold is to business what The Weightlifting Encyclopedia by Artie Dreschler is to weightlifting.

[quote]RPC wrote:
Kiyosaki never had a “rich dad”. This is a complete marketing scam. I do admire him for his marketing skills, but he is not completely truthful in his books. Oh well, a sucker is born every minute.[/quote]

I thought the ‘rich dad’ bit was a guy he knew growing up? He tells the story in his first book, ‘Rich Dad Poor Dad’.

Now, if that story was a complete lie, I wouldn’t be surprised. He is, after all, a best-selling author. Not a best-writing author.