Book: 'Wheat Belly'

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
For those of you who are anti-wheat, I am curious to know what some of your carb sources are. I am not talking about fruits and veggies, but what other foods do you get as carbs ?[/quote]

Quinoa. I go through it by the sack.[/quote]

You got as lean as you are in your avatar with quinoa ?[/quote]

Yessir, I eat my carbs at 5AM, 8AM, and 11AM, and then cutoff after that. I train at 6AM everyday.

Also, aside from quinoa, vegetables are my only carb source. I eat zero sugar in any other form.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
For those of you who are anti-wheat, I am curious to know what some of your carb sources are. I am not talking about fruits and veggies, but what other foods do you get as carbs ?[/quote]

Yessir, I eat my carbs at 5AM, 8AM, and 11AM, and then cutoff after that. I train at 6AM everyday.

Also, aside from quinoa, vegetables are my only carb source. I eat zero sugar in any other form.[/quote]

So do you never eat at restaurants? Cutting out wheat completely makes it close to impossible to eat out except for a couple exceptions.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

Also, aside from quinoa, vegetables are my only carb source. I eat zero sugar in any other form.[/quote]

So do you never eat at restaurants? Cutting out wheat completely makes it close to impossible to eat out except for a couple exceptions.[/quote]

Not really. I travel a lot for work.

In all but the dinkiest towns there are steakhouses, bbqs, breakfast places like IHOP (read: eggs/bacon) and other restaurants that you can get completely away from wheat. I just went all last week without any.

Trace amounts at worst.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

So do you never eat at restaurants? Cutting out wheat completely makes it close to impossible to eat out except for a couple exceptions.[/quote]

you’re joking right? insanely easy to cut out wheat when eating out. The options are there

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

you’re joking right? insanely easy to cut out wheat when eating out. The options are there
[/quote]

No, I meant from a Social POV.

If you go out with friends and family or with your g/f it can be difficult.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[/quote]

No, I meant from a Social POV.

If you go out with friends and family or with your g/f it can be difficult.

[/quote]

If you’re weak… then again I usually get a bacon cheeseburger when going out, so I don’t fuss over the white bread

So if your g/f wants to go to a nice pizzeria, do you just not go?

Or a chinese restaurant where most foods are battered?

Noodle house?

Are you so committed to a 100% wheat free diet you will actually avoid social situations even while trying to gain weight?

Hi friends,

I have cut out 85% of my wheat consumption as of 2 weeks ago. I feel I do have more energy, especially in the mornings(although this may be related to my recent recovery from caffeine addiction). I think my skin is a bit smoother aswell.

Is oats ok? I believe they do not have gluten?

tweet

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Noodle house?

Are you so committed to a 100% wheat free diet you will actually avoid social situations even while trying to gain weight?[/quote]

we don’t go to pizzarias, I hate chinese (nor does she prefer it) and I don’t like noodles, lol

if we go out it’s usually to Outback where I get a burger. We don’t eat out much and most often when we do it’s Panera, and I go for a sandwich, but again I’m not looking to lose fat and it doesn’t make me feel ill either.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi friends,

I have cut out 85% of my wheat consumption as of 2 weeks ago. I feel I do have more energy, especially in the mornings(although this may be related to my recent recovery from caffeine addiction). I think my skin is a bit smoother aswell.

tweet[/quote]

Oats contain gluten, but many people on gluten-free diets are able to handle them and eat them regularly.

Eat them, see how you feel, then decide.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

I eat out as much as the next person. I’m just very disciplined/smart about what I order, and I am also very particular when I’m placing that order.

It’s really not that hard.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi friends,

tweet[/quote]

Oats contain gluten, but many people on gluten-free diets are able to handle them and eat them regularly.

Eat them, see how you feel, then decide.[/quote]

Thats because oats DO NOT contain gluten.

Though they are often milled with the same equipment used on wheat and making them problematic for those with celiac.

[quote]ColinD624 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi friends,

tweet[/quote]

Eat them, see how you feel, then decide.[/quote]

Thats because oats DO NOT contain gluten.

Though they are often milled with the same equipment used on wheat and making them problematic for those with celiac.
[/quote]

He likely confused gluten with avenin.

As for Wheat Belly, the author takes some very serious liberties with the studies done on wheat and mental health.

Emily Deans does a good job discussing them on her blog. (Note: Dr. Deans rarely eats wheat herself - far from a grain-industry lobbyist.)

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Noodle house?

Are you so committed to a 100% wheat free diet you will actually avoid social situations even while trying to gain weight?[/quote]

Girls I go out with do not like to eat fast food so, it has never been a problem and for me it is not so much about being wheat free I just choose not to eat fast food if I eat out is it at a restaurant where I know the food will be made how I want it.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
One premise of the book is that the wheat we consume today is genetically different from the wheat ‘we’ consumed 100 even 50 years ago. Genetic modifications have increase yields but the modifications were never tested before approved. USDA recommends that we eat much higher proportions of grains, which if these claims are true is creating a nasty feedback loop of increased illness.

Another premise is that whole grain wheat flour products have higher GI’s than some sugars and even white bread.
[/quote]

I have yet to read this book, although it looks very interesting.

However, I do have questions based on this premise alone.

EVERYTHING we eat is genetically quite different from what our ancestors ate. Yes wheat has been GMed. But you’re kidding yourself if you think the same hasn’t been done with corn (just ask Monsanto), tomatoes, or even beef/chicken.

If wheat is evil for you, what about those other foods?

Also, wouldn’t you say people in general are nowadays “bigger” and live longer than we used to 100 years ago? So what’s the obsession with living like ancestors?

IMHO wheat makes people “fat” because it tastes good. 100g of pizza or white bread tastes a heck of a lot better than 100g of quinoa. Which is why we all eat burgers or pizza on cheat days instead of scoffing down more oats. Its easier to eat more stuff when it tastes good…

[quote]NotaQuitta wrote:
EVERYTHING we eat is genetically quite different from what our ancestors ate. Yes wheat has been GMed. But you’re kidding yourself if you think the same hasn’t been done with corn (just ask Monsanto), tomatoes, or even beef/chicken.
[/quote]

I don’t disagree with this.

There are plenty of other books/references that discuss those very things. This thread is about “Wheat Belly” and “wheat”.

The author explains his reasoning for why GM wheat may be different than other GM foods. How much of it is true and how much is hyperbole, I don’t know. He certainly takes some liberties with his premises, no doubt.

It’s a great book to spark discussion. It won’t change much for me because I control my ‘wheat’ intake already in the form of limiting carbs during the week for re-comp. I know that bread and cereals bloat me up like nothing else, so for me, the book conveniently reinforces some things I’ve already suspected or knew about my body.

I may eat a little more when I start gaining again. Perhaps I’ll rely on other carbs at that point.

I’m certainly not going to start preaching the evils of wheat because some people handle it fine.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

I don’t disagree with this.

There are plenty of other books/references that discuss those very things. This thread is about “Wheat Belly” and “wheat”.

The author explains his reasoning for why GM wheat may be different than other GM foods. How much of it is true and how much is hyperbole, I don’t know. He certainly takes some liberties with his premises, no doubt.

It’s a great book to spark discussion. It won’t change much for me because I control my ‘wheat’ intake already in the form of limiting carbs during the week for re-comp. I know that bread and cereals bloat me up like nothing else, so for me, the book conveniently reinforces some things I’ve already suspected or knew about my body.

I may eat a little more when I start gaining again. Perhaps I’ll rely on other carbs at that point.

I’m certainly not going to start preaching the evils of wheat because some people handle it fine.[/quote]

Thanks for that explanation mate.

I will pick up the book on Amazon probably based on this thread.

[quote]NotaQuitta wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
One premise of the book is that the wheat we consume today is genetically different from the wheat ‘we’ consumed 100 even 50 years ago. Genetic modifications have increase yields but the modifications were never tested before approved. USDA recommends that we eat much higher proportions of grains, which if these claims are true is creating a nasty feedback loop of increased illness.

Another premise is that whole grain wheat flour products have higher GI’s than some sugars and even white bread.
[/quote]

I have yet to read this book, although it looks very interesting.

However, I do have questions based on this premise alone.

If wheat is evil for you, what about those other foods?

Also, wouldn’t you say people in general are nowadays “bigger” and live longer than we used to 100 years ago? So what’s the obsession with living like ancestors?

IMHO wheat makes people “fat” because it tastes good. 100g of pizza or white bread tastes a heck of a lot better than 100g of quinoa. Which is why we all eat burgers or pizza on cheat days instead of scoffing down more oats. Its easier to eat more stuff when it tastes good…[/quote]

The notion that Norman Borlaug is now a villain because of increased gluten loads in wheat drives me mad. For a starving person in the developing world, I doubt they care a great deal about the level of “allergens” present in their food.

This book is dealing with 1st world problems.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Oats are allergenic.

Lots of people (including myself) eat them and get a strong lethargy reaction and/or bloat.

And yet they don’t make the mental connection between the oats and their symptoms, because we are constantly fed messages in the media that ‘oats are healthy and natural’.

Also, it takes time to develop a reaction - 37 years in my case. You would best judge your toleramce to oats by stopping them for a couple of weeks, the eating a big bowl. Or stop them for 6 weeks and eat just a tiny amount.

BBB[/quote]

Quite true in my case as well. I had been eating oats at least 2x per day for years. Then I began feeling just as you described. I couldn’t figure it out until my wife said, “maybe it’s the oats”. She was right. I stopped eating them completely and it was instant relief.