T Nation

Book Recommendations?

Okay, time once again for the semi-regular “Whatcha reading?” thread.

I have to strongly, strongly, strongly advise everyone to read The Blind Side by Michael Lewis.

You might have seen an excerpt from it in Sports Illustrated a few weeks ago.

It’s about the rise of the left tackle as the highest paid player in the NFL and the story of one almost-forgotten giant of a boy in Memphis.

It’s also about race, money, class, destiny, and everything else that all good books are about.

It’s a cliche, yes, but I literally could not put it down as I read it through in 7 straight hours.

What’s everybody else flipping through?

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Okay, time once again for the semi-regular “Whatcha reading?” thread.

I have to strongly, strongly, strongly advise everyone to read The Blind Side by Michael Lewis.

You might have seen an excerpt from it in Sports Illustrated a few weeks ago.

It’s about the rise of the left tackle as the highest paid player in the NFL and the story of one almost-forgotten giant of a boy in Memphis.

It’s also about race, money, class, destiny, and everything else that all good books are about.

It’s a cliche, yes, but I literally could not put it down as I read it through in 7 straight hours.

What’s everybody else flipping through?[/quote]

Serious Strength Training by Tudor Bompa. Excellent book.

Right now I’m reading Things Fall Apart which I’ve actually never read before.

As a side note, I really like when these book threads come up. I get a lot of good reading ideas from others members.

Just finished Choked by Chuck Palahniuk. Now I’m reading Haunted by the same author. It feels like the guy crawled inside my head, looked at all the sick things I think about sometimes, then crawled back out and put them on paper along with a lot of other sick shit that I hadn’t even considered yet. Awesome.

I am reading the fantasy series, the Wheel of Time. Currently on book four, the Shadow Rising. Boss.

-Machine

I’m currently reading two different books right now (bad habit to get into I find):

The Known World by Edward P. Jones which is about a black slave owner before the Civil War (won the Pulitzer Prize).

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin (also winner of a Pulitzer… and also with a Civil War theme… huh… coincidence.) This one is a long read, but very good. It’s about the cabinet that Lincoln assembled during his presidency and how it was mostly comprised of individuals he actually beat out for the Republican nomination for president. It’s fascinating to see how the “railsplitter” from Illinois whom everything thought was a bumpkin was really about the most savvy political operator you can imagine.

Currently on Guns, Germs, and Steel which is absolutely superb.

I just finished “World War Z, An Oral History of the Zombie Wars” by Max Brooks. It even gave me bad dreams.

Just finished Survivor by Palahniuk (fricking amazing) and currently reading Musashi’s Book of Five Rings.

I just finished Thud!, by Terry Pratchett, last night. Absolutely hysterical. Next on my list is 1776 by David McCullough.

i read “factotum” by charles bukowski because the movie was coming and i wanted to read it before i saw the film. it’s a great book.

right now i’m reading “spanking watson” by kinky friedman.

Reading Deadwood by Pete Dexter. I watched the HBO series. By the end of it I did not know what was going on and did not understand anything they said. The book is very understandable and the characters have some important differences from the show. Enjoying it a lot.

Recently I have read The Picture of Dorian Gray, Crime and Punishment, and I am currently working on Atlas Shrugged.

I strongly suggest that anyone who enjoys reading pick up both Crime and Punishment and Atlas Shrugged. Both works present very interesting ideas while at the same time just being an overall captivating read.

J. Persinger

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Currently on Guns, Germs, and Steel which is absolutely superb.[/quote]

This is a fantastic book. Jared Diamond is one of my favorite authors, among Eric Schlosser and Noam Chomsky.

Currently im reading Dark Ages America by Morris Berman. I highly reccomend this book for everyone who votes and gives a damn about this country. Its a lesson of hope for those who want to change things and a warning for those who do not.

I have recently read In The Dojo by Dave Lowry, The Millionaire Mind by Thomas Staley, and Power Eatingby Susan Kleiner.

I just finished The Autobiography of Malcom X. Spectacular. I have not been able to get the book out of my mind, I find myself thinking/applying the book in every situation I am in throughout the day. Can’t stop thinking about it.