T Nation

Bombay Train Blasts

At Least 20 Dead in Bombay Train Blasts
July 11, 2006 9:32 AM EDT

BOMBAY, India - Seven explosions hit Bombay’s commuter rail network Tuesday evening during rush hour, ripping apart train compartments, officials said. Police said at least 20 people were killed.

Chaos engulfed the crowded rail network in India’s financial capital following the blasts, and authorities struggled to determine the number of casualties.

Indian television reported the death toll could be in the dozens. News channels broadcast video of the wounded sprawled on train tracks and being carried through stations to ambulances, past twisted and torn train compartments.

Witnesses reported seeing bodies parts strewn about stations.

Pranay Prabhakar, the spokesman for the Western Railway, confirmed that seven blasts had taken place.

He said all trains had been suspended and appealed to the public to stay away from train stations in the city.

The blasts appeared to have come in quick succession - a common tactic employed by Kashmiri militants that have repeatedly targeted India’s cities.

The first explosion hit the train at a railway station in the northwestern suburb of Khar, said a police officer who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media.

India’s CNN-IBN television news, which had a reporter traveling on the train, said the blast took place in a first-class car as the train was moving, ripping through the compartment and killing more than a dozen people.

Another CNN-IBN reporter said he had seen more than 20 bodies at one Bombay hospital.

All of India’s major cities were reportedly on high alert following the attacks, which came hours after a series of grenade attacks by Islamic extremists killed eight people in the main city of India’s part of Kashmir.

I am trying to figure how some of the people on this site will blame Bush or Israel for this.

When will the world wake up and realize radical Islam has declared war on the rest of us and this has been going on for a long time?

My local station

190 people dead 625 injured…

This has got nothing to to with Bush or Israel, this has got to do with radical pakistani people wanting kashmir… which they will never ever get, We will never give a part of our country just because the majority of the people in the region happen to be muslim!.

an update:
http://in.rediff.com/news/2006/jul/12mumblast4.htm

I used to go on that train everyday to college, before I moved to england. The bastards blew up my local station!.. I saw pictures of my neighbourhood on bbc… bodies and blood everywhere… im shattered!. India gets bombed almost every second day… by pakistani militants… but this attack was deadly… and too too close to home.

2 of my mates are in hospital, they were on the train. Those bastards knew what they were doing, 7 bombs in 7 first class compartments detonated within 15 minutes of each other at rush hour… during the monsoon season!! the rains made it difficult for rescue services to get their in time.
Colleges have just started in India… young freshers were on their way back from their first week in college.

who could kill people like that?

Nik

Some Images of the deadliest attack in mumbai since the 1993 serial blasts which killed 250 people

Glad to hear you are OK.

Why isn’t this getting more play on the US?

It is worse than the London bombings.

Radical Islam has declared war on the world. When is the world going to realize that what is happening in India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan, Somalia… is all related?

Hatred is being preached in mosques all over the world. It is past time for the millions of good and decent Muslims to step up and say “No More!”

No more murder in the name of Allah!

some more pics…

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Glad to hear you are OK.[/quote]

Same here, Nik; hope your mates do ok. The persons who did this are less than animals and deserve no mercy.

You already know the answer. Because as Nik pointed out this can’t be blamed on Bush or Israel, so it’s not chic enough for the MSM.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

[/quote]

For reasons unknown, the Pakistan - India struggle never gets attention period, in the U.S.

What the U.S. is finding out about radical Islam in Iraq, The Hindus of India have known for many years.

The radical muslim savage understands only one thing, the stick!

Dustin

I’ve been to that station.

First of all I would like to thank zap for making this thread. I would also like to thank Patrick for his kind words.

Like one of the other people said… The India - Pakistan conflict never gets attention in the western media… I dont think anyone really cares to be honest if a couple of 100 ppl die 5000 miles away in India, we get bombed almost every second day, the indians are so used to these terrorist attack’s by radical islamic nutters that it has become a part of life there.

Now Im just so frustrated, all the lines are down in mumbai, I cant contact anyone, been sending emails all day but to no avail… I only got through briefly yesterday and I was told that 2 of my mates are in hospital and my granny who lives alone near one of the stations is ok. ALOT of my mates use that train line everyday and Im just gettin paranoid. Im sick of watching the news and not bieng able to do anything.
So I am just gonna vent my frustrations on this thread and input whatever I know about the attack and also may be educate a few ppl on what the Kashmir issue actually is.

Nik

Near by residents rush to aid of people caught in the blast

a survivor

What must be going through this poor lady’s mind?

nothing can beat the mumbaikar spirit… people rushing to others aid in a matter of seconds

First, my thoughts go out to those in or from the area. What a horrible thing.

I thought I’d point out that CNN did show this story quite a bit – at least that is where I kept seeing it anyway.

Also, we simply have to find a way to stop the teaching of radical Islam to new recruits. Honestly, this is the only way the problem will ever stop.

From what I’ve read, which could be out of date or wrong, there are plenty of “schools” for the young to attend where they teach it. Religious fanaticism is easy to impress on people if you get them when they are young.

Imagine going to the local hospitals and looking through a list of the dead to see if your loved one is on it…

I hope the bastards who did this burn in hell

Churchgate station is evacuated… one of the largest and busiest rail networks in the world, (transporting just under five billion passengers a year) along with the country (the largest democracy in the world) is brought to a standstill… by yet another terrorist attack.

[quote]Dustin wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

For reasons unknown, the Pakistan - India struggle never gets attention period, in the U.S.

What the U.S. is finding out about radical Islam in Iraq, The Hindus of India have known for many years.

The radical muslim savage understands only one thing, the stick!

Dustin

[/quote]

Tell me about it, I have grown up accepting that bombings are just an everyday thing…

This is the chronology of major bomb blasts in Mumbai since 1993:

March 12, 1993: A series of bomb blasts ripped through 13 places in the city, killing 257 people and injuring 713. These were the first blasts in which RDX was used and the explosions were allegedly planned by underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.

December 2, 2002: Two persons were killed and 31 injured when a powerful bomb exploded in a municipal bus outside Ghatkopar suburban railway station in north-central Mumbai.

December 6, 2002: Twenty-five people were injured when a bomb exploded in a food plaza at Bombay Central railway station. The bomb was planted in an air-conditioning duct.

January 27, 2003: Thirty people were injured when a crude bomb planted in a bicycle exploded at a shopping complex outside Vile Parle railway station in north-west Mumbai.

March 13, 2003: Eleven people were killed and 65 injured when a powerful bomb exploded in a ladies special train when it was entering Mulund railway station in the peak hours.

August 25, 2003: Two blasts occurred one after the other at the Gateway of India and Zaveri Bazaar, killing 46 people and injuring more than 160. RDX was planted in taxis parked at both these places.

Me and my dad just passed by the Gateway of India when the bomb exploded, our windscreen was shattered.
this was just 5 days before I left for england to attend university which started in september

[quote]jasonigor wrote:
I’ve been to that station.[/quote]

really?.. gosh it just gives me the creeps looking at the picture… I used to come back on the 6.25 train after college… 6.25 was the time the first bomb was detonated.
I still cant believe it.

The chronology of the seven bomb blasts that ripped through the seven suburban trains at various stations during the peak hour on Tuesday evening is as follows:

Khar – 1824 hrs
Bandra – 1824 hrs
Jogeshwari – 1825 hrs
Mahim – 1826 hrs
Mira Road – 1829 hrs
Matunga – 1830 hrs
Borivali – 1835 hrs

[quote]vroom wrote:
First, my thoughts go out to those in or from the area. What a horrible thing.

I thought I’d point out that CNN did show this story quite a bit – at least that is where I kept seeing it anyway.

Also, we simply have to find a way to stop the teaching of radical Islam to new recruits. Honestly, this is the only way the problem will ever stop.

From what I’ve read, which could be out of date or wrong, there are plenty of “schools” for the young to attend where they teach it. Religious fanaticism is easy to impress on people if you get them when they are young.

[/quote]

I appreciate your concern. I only really watch bbc and a few indian news channels so I didnt know about the coverage on CNN, Thank you for pointing that out.

About finding a way to stop the teaching of radical islam to new recruits… you are so right, but it is so hard to do, these so called imams are simply brainwashing young boys and making them into terrorists… there have been atleast 7 incidents where 19 yr old boys have stormed hindu temples armed with ak 47’s or suicide bombed etc… its sad, really sad… they should be in college doing something with their lives.

I like to think that I am very liberal and fair and im not going to jump on the muslim bashing bandwagon… but the fact remains that radical islamic terrorists have declared jehad on the non muslim world, we are NOT safe anywhere… the londing bombings, the madrid bombings… the mumbai blasts… 9/11 and countless other incidents are a scary reminder that these people can strike anywhere… whenever they want.

Here in england, we have clamped down on radical pakistani individuals and are closely monitoring mosques but in western countries this a little easier to do since pakistani’s …arabs etc stand out… in india they dont… they blend with the crowd… in a country with 1 billion people - 80% hindu… 14% muslim… it is almost impossible to monitor every muslim in the country or put up security checks everywhere… its just too tedious and too expensive.