T Nation

Bomb Iran: Yes or No?

I’m interested what the T-Nation community thinks.

I will start off with No.

I’ll say YES.
Who are we to say that it would be a bad decision?

Bring back the draft, and let’s go all out!

Not unless they give you a reason to.

If it does turn out that they are making weapons of a nuclear nature, then I’d say start with a nuke to a major military target, demand they cease all nuclear activity (including power related, they’ve demonstrated they can’t be trusted) and also demand they hand over all weapons.

There is no negotiating with these people, so let’s not sugar coat it.

We won’t need to, the Israeli’s will do it first. We will, however, start bombing them to keep the Strait of Hormuz open once Iran attempts to close it in retaliation.

[quote]archiewhittaker wrote:
I’ll say YES.
Who are we to say that it would be a bad decision?

Bring back the draft, and let’s go all out![/quote]

Who’s got the Picard facepalm here?

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
archiewhittaker wrote:
I’ll say YES.
Who are we to say that it would be a bad decision?

Bring back the draft, and let’s go all out!

Who’s got the Picard facepalm here? [/quote]

I doubt Obama has the stones to do it himself. Just a few days ago Gibbs was lying and making up bullshit excuses about not talking to Iran for 6 years about it’s nuclear program. In December the Air Force will receive it’s new bunker buster bombs that are much bigger and can go a lot deeper than the ones we gave to the Israelis. What has Obama threatened to do in December? Try sanctions. The democrats are pathetic, they really do not understand how to deal with people who are hardcore ruthless like the Iranian leadership.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Not unless they give you a reason to.

If it does turn out that they are making weapons of a nuclear nature, then I’d say start with a nuke to a major military target, demand they cease all nuclear activity (including power related, they’ve demonstrated they can’t be trusted) and also demand they hand over all weapons.

There is no negotiating with these people, so let’s not sugar coat it.[/quote]

There’s no reason to bomb them currently. Negotiations seem like they are working. An unprovoked attack could escalate and draw in the Chinese and Russians, potentially. A massive regional conflict is nothing to take lightly.

Every time Ahmedinijad puffs out his chest (flares his lats) he is just trying to create leverage or apply counter-pressure (whether it actually works is a different story). They are not a threat to us, certainly not directly. Also, Iran is allowed to have nuclear power. However I have read that maybe the administration might try to spike that, in order to keep Iran weak economically (they need alternative power sources to avoid burning their own oil resources, their main source of revenue). It’s a delicate situation, but it seems like the administration is playing a shrewd game of poker with Iran, and hasn’t made any wrong moves yet.

[quote]K2000 wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Not unless they give you a reason to.

If it does turn out that they are making weapons of a nuclear nature, then I’d say start with a nuke to a major military target, demand they cease all nuclear activity (including power related, they’ve demonstrated they can’t be trusted) and also demand they hand over all weapons.

There is no negotiating with these people, so let’s not sugar coat it.

There’s no reason to bomb them currently. Negotiations seem like they are working. [/quote]

Are you on crack? Negotiations have been a complete failure. What rock have you been living under? Years and years of negotiaions have not stopped them at all, instead they have taken advantage of the process to advance their nuclear program unmolested.

[quote]
An unprovoked attack could escalate and draw in the Chinese and Russians, potentially. A massive regional conflict is nothing to take lightly. [/quote]

You are nuts. The Russians aren’t going to do dick. They stand to benefit more than anyone else from a strike on Iran. If the Iranians close the straight of Hormuz Russia will be the worlds top oil supplier and the price of their oil will skyrocket.

What are the Chinese going to do? Are they going to shut down all their factories making cheap goods for Wal Mart and send all those workers home unemployed and pissed off at their government? We are their biggest customer and the customer is always right!

Not a threat? Ahmadinejad with nukes is a threat to the whole world and his own people.

[quote]John S. wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
archiewhittaker wrote:
I’ll say YES.
Who are we to say that it would be a bad decision?

Bring back the draft, and let’s go all out!

Who’s got the Picard facepalm here?

[/quote]
Thanks, gentlemen! That’s just what we need to bring a political debate forward.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Are you on crack? Negotiations have been a complete failure. What rock have you been living under? Years and years of negotiaions have not stopped them at all, instead they have taken advantage of the process to advance their nuclear program unmolested. [/quote]

Which “years and years of negotiations” are you referring to? That simply hasn’t happened. Certainly not during the last 8 years under Bush, whose foreign diplomacy was mostly awful and ineffective… Bush’s approach accomplished absolutely nothing with Iran (or North Korea for that matter). You might find negotiations to be frustrating and slow, but don’t tell me we’ve been doing this for years… because we haven’t.

[quote]K2000 wrote:
Sifu wrote:
Are you on crack? Negotiations have been a complete failure. What rock have you been living under? Years and years of negotiaions have not stopped them at all, instead they have taken advantage of the process to advance their nuclear program unmolested.

Which “years and years of negotiations” are you referring to? That simply hasn’t happened. Certainly not during the last 8 years under Bush, whose foreign diplomacy was mostly awful and ineffective… Bush’s approach accomplished absolutely nothing with Iran (or North Korea for that matter). You might find negotiations to be frustrating and slow, but don’t tell me we’ve been doing this for years… because we haven’t.

[/quote]

You absolutely do not know what you are talking about. Negotiations on the Iranian nuclear program have been going on for years., they have gone nowhere. More of the same failed approach is not the answer. Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.

[quote]K2000 wrote:
There’s no reason to bomb them currently. Negotiations seem like they are working. An unprovoked attack could escalate and draw in the Chinese and Russians, potentially. A massive regional conflict is nothing to take lightly.

Every time Ahmedinijad puffs out his chest (flares his lats) he is just trying to create leverage or apply counter-pressure (whether it actually works is a different story). They are not a threat to us, certainly not directly. Also, Iran is allowed to have nuclear power. However I have read that maybe the administration might try to spike that, in order to keep Iran weak economically (they need alternative power sources to avoid burning their own oil resources, their main source of revenue). It’s a delicate situation, but it seems like the administration is playing a shrewd game of poker with Iran, and hasn’t made any wrong moves yet.

[/quote]

This is a country with hard line Muslims in it. They would have no qualms about taking you to the next plane of existence along with themselves and everyone in the world because that is what their religion of no compulsion compels them to do.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Negotiations on the Iranian nuclear program have been going on for years., they have gone nowhere. More of the same failed approach is not the answer. Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results. [/quote]

Bush was not negotiating, he was making demands. Telling the opposition what the outcome will be, as a prerequisite to even sitting down at the negotiating table is not really negotiating. So yeah, eight years of failure is pretty dismal. Sure, it would be neat-o to see Obama magically solve all the problems in his first year, that Bush couldn’t solve in eight years.

The problem is that you want to portray the Iran situation as a failure on Obama’s part (but not Bush’s) while at the same time pretending that Obama’s approach is the same as Bush’s… It reveals where you’re coming from (just plain old Obama hatred). So no need to waste my time trying to have a rational discussion w/ you.

To be fair to bush, all Obama is saying is show us the base or we will sanction you(an act of war).

Really not seeing the difference.

[quote]John S. wrote:
To be fair to bush, all Obama is saying is show us the base or we will sanction you(an act of war).

Really not seeing the difference.[/quote]

First of all, the fact that they publicly declared this facility is a huge change in Iran’s tone. Then Iran said that they would allow IAEA inspectors (that was last week, don’t know what is the latest).

There are signs of cooperation now. That’s a huge difference. I’m certainly not claiming everything is solved now, things are still tense, but at least there is a significantly reduced chance that we’ll attack. I think that’s a clear improvement.

He threatened to attack there civilians with sanctions if they didn’t. He is every bit as evil as you think Bush is.

I will also be fair to Obama, this same shit would have happened if Mccain was in office.

[quote]John S. wrote:
He threatened to attack there civilians with sanctions if they didn’t. He is every bit as evil as you think Bush is.
[/quote]

Attack with sanctions… that’s an oxymoron. Also, we already do basically zero business with Iran, so sanctions would be an international effort… which is another way it’s different now, than what we had under Bush.

We wont but isreal might. same for some as the US bombing iran but a lil more specific

Economic sanctions are an act of war?How do you come up with that?So the U.S. and Japan committed an act of war when they sanctioned India over nuclear testing ?The majority of the West committed an act of war against S.A. with the apartheid era sanctions?

Priceless.