Bollinger Break Down Combo Bar

Hi, was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the bollinger break down combo bar?

It is basically an ez bar, but can be split in half via a “snap lock” motin, akin to the side thingies that screw into dumbells to lock the weights in place(forgot the name). Theres also whats called a safty ring which you can tighten, which doesn’t seem to do much and a lock pin.

I bought one of these on ebay, and people selling them on the net claim they are up to rrp $139, but the only places selling them seem to be selling them at cleareance prices. Also, mine had a slight bit of surface rust of the "female half of the bar.

it can be viewed here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-STEEL-FITNESS-WEIGHT-TRAINING-EZ-COMBO-BAR-1-NR_W0QQitemZ300104322127QQihZ020QQcategoryZ44081QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have no idea when it comes to equipment, and just wanted to be reassured that this is a safe thing to use…i’m guessing most people havent seem it, but hopefully someone has.

I mean, the thing i’m most scared about is the bar giving way when im lifting and having 50 kg whack me in the feet!! Or would steel slowly bend and give me a CLEAR indication that it was going to buckle under pressure(assuming i gradually increase weight load each time I lifted).

hope someone can help!!

Why in HELL would you want to break one of these bars in two???

The only advantage is for the company for storage / shipping savings and bigger profits for them.

This is the stupidest thing I ever saw.

For one thing you can’t lift it from the centre, one handed, which is one good thing about those bars when they don’t have a break in the middle.

It could be strong enough to cope but you add weakness and add no advantage.

This cheapo one on ebay is likely to be extra weak.

ok…thanks for the answer Mahge!

[quote]jogurt wrote:
Hi, was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the bollinger break down combo bar?

It is basically an ez bar, but can be split in half via a “snap lock” motin, akin to the side thingies that screw into dumbells to lock the weights in place(forgot the name). Theres also whats called a safty ring which you can tighten, which doesn’t seem to do much and a lock pin.

I bought one of these on ebay, and people selling them on the net claim they are up to rrp $139, but the only places selling them seem to be selling them at cleareance prices. Also, mine had a slight bit of surface rust of the "female half of the bar.

it can be viewed here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-STEEL-FITNESS-WEIGHT-TRAINING-EZ-COMBO-BAR-1-NR_W0QQitemZ300104322127QQihZ020QQcategoryZ44081QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have no idea when it comes to equipment, and just wanted to be reassured that this is a safe thing to use…i’m guessing most people havent seem it, but hopefully someone has.

I mean, the thing i’m most scared about is the bar giving way when im lifting and having 50 kg whack me in the feet!! Or would steel slowly bend and give me a CLEAR indication that it was going to buckle under pressure(assuming i gradually increase weight load each time I lifted).

hope someone can help!!

[/quote]

Unless you had to carry this thing in your backpack all the time,I have no idea why you would want it to separate in the middle. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.