Boiling Your Veggies

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
There is NO reason to ever boil vegetables. Cook 'em in a wok or covered in asaucepan with just a little water or oil.

Also, aren’t all the guys using those veggie steamers worried about xenoestrogens? I still drink water from plastic bottles, but heating plastic to over 140 degrees is over-the-top - even for me.

[/quote]

It’s called ‘microwave-safe’. The plastic isn’t melting, or anything.

And wtf is a xenoestrogen?

[quote]huey.ot wrote:
[/quote]

It doesnt matter.

[quote]
And wtf is a xenoestrogen?[/quote]

Simple answer: estrogens that are released into the environment from manmade products. He brought them up since microwaving plastic can release them into your food.

Theres an article on here about them, but I forget what its called.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Also, aren’t all the guys using those veggie steamers worried about xenoestrogens? I still drink water from plastic bottles, but heating plastic to over 140 degrees is over-the-top - even for me.[/quote]

Here is a good metal one that I use, but I guess it depends on how you feel about non-stick coating.

[quote]huey.ot wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
There is NO reason to ever boil vegetables. Cook 'em in a wok or covered in asaucepan with just a little water or oil.

Also, aren’t all the guys using those veggie steamers worried about xenoestrogens? I still drink water from plastic bottles, but heating plastic to over 140 degrees is over-the-top - even for me.

And wtf is a xenoestrogen?[/quote]

search it for TC’s article. Very interesting shit. I no longer put any plastic in the nuker. Shit I barely nuke anything for that matter.

Beware the term “denature” because many people use it highly loosely. I’m not too sure that the micronutrients can be “denatured” per se. They can though, be leeched into the water. Just cook it all in the water and then use the water to make rice, sooooo good. Throw in jasmine and you’re set.

Or get a steamer.

-chris

I just looked up ‘xenoestrogens’ on Wikipedia. Weird shit. Guess you learn something new, everyday!

Oh ya, and peanutbutter: I also thought it was weird when one of the above posters mentioned the denaturing of micronutrients as synoymous with destruction of the protein.

As far as I knew, denaturing only refers to protein, and means the altering of a protein’s shape. No biggue. The body breaks down the proteins into their individual amino acids at the end of the day, anyways.

[quote]huey.ot wrote:
I just looked up ‘xenoestrogens’ on Wikipedia. Weird shit. Guess you learn something new, everyday!

Oh ya, and peanutbutter: I also thought it was weird when one of the above posters mentioned the denaturing of micronutrients as synoymous with destruction of the protein.

As far as I knew, denaturing only refers to protein, and means the altering of a protein’s shape. No biggue. The body breaks down the proteins into their individual amino acids at the end of the day, anyways.[/quote]

Oh well, I should have got a better proxy education out of that girlfriend before we broke up. I at least got the part about including vegetables in your diet right. :slight_smile:

Now if I can just remember to properly research subjects before making statements…

Many vegetables contain “antinutrients” (translation: stuff the plant produces to stop animals eating it). For this reason it is better to do some cooking of most veggies. Light cooking is all that is necessary for most (I wouldn’t personally eat a potato that was still crunchy).

[quote]huey.ot wrote:

As far as I knew, denaturing only refers to protein, and means the altering of a protein’s shape. No biggue. The body breaks down the proteins into their individual amino acids at the end of the day, anyways.[/quote]

Yah, i learned that in biology class. Its funny how everybody thinks denaturing food somehow harms it. In fact… when you cook your meat, you not only denature it, but you coagulate it to… OHHH NO!!!
HAHAHAHA

(I guess the egg sandwich i am eating is no good because the egg has been denatured and coagulated)