Boilerman Wants It All

I am still such a fan of this log, and it’s stuff like this. The effort is the obvious draw, and you are always crushing it there, but you really shine when it comes to showing how to EAT. @flappinit was the same way running it. Just such a great example for the young bucks that could stand to learn a thing or two about how to grow. Keep it up dude!

2 Likes

Lol, but it certainly did! That was the first time I’ve ever not been able to move out of the hole. It’s a crazy feeling and I hated every second of it haha.

Thank you so much man. It’s awesome to get feedback like that from someone as established and far along in their lifting career as you.

I unfortunately wasn’t around for your first run of DW, but was here during @flappinit run and it was a major contributing factor in the program being on my radar. I’m happy to not only have found this site for feedback on my own lifting, but also to have people like you guys to not just tell me, but SHOW me that you don’t have to grind for a year to get better. It CAN happen quickly, you just have to shut off your brain and do the work. Not that there is anything wrong with any other program that people use on here, but DW just clicks with me. It makes sense. It absolutely sucks to run it, and it gives me anxiety, but I love it.

It’s so funny you mention food often in here because I have not, and never will consider myself someone that loves food. I can eat the same thing over and over again without issue because I just don’t care haha. If it gets me to my goals, I’m in.

5 Likes

Deepwater W5D2

Pull up x 16, 12, 11, 11

BB shrug at 210lb, 4x10

Clean pull at 135lb, 3x10

Planks and sit ups

Felt weak as hell today, still got some good work in. Going to have busy weekends the next few weeks, so lifting days will be sporadic. Trying to make the best of the nice weather while it’s still here as well. Should be able to sneak in the press workout tomorrow early afternoon.

Did a few mile hike in the woods of southern NY today, so a bit of driving, which my legs weren’t a fan of. Hike felt good on the leg DOMs though

7 Likes

Deepwater W5D3

Axle clean and strict press
10x10 at 103lb, 2 min rest

Axle curl
1x90

Sit ups and back extensions

Was getting very lightheaded after the first press rep of each set. Ended up taking a couple choppy breaths at the top and it went away. Can’t quite figure out why sometimes I almost black out, and sometimes I’m totally fine.

6 Likes

You doing a lot of sweaty work these days? How is salt intake? With a lower carb intake, lot more salt tends to be needed to balance electrolytes. I crashed my blood pressure last year by not using enough of the stuff.

1 Like

I like using biolyte and liquid Iv drinks/pour ins. If you’re looking for something like that for electrolytes

1 Like

More Buffalo Wings!

Go Bills!

2 Likes

Yeah man, I definitely am doing some pretty physical work as of late. On top of that, I’ve just been sweating more in general. I usually heavily salt my food with coarse kosher salt, not sure if there is a difference between that and regular table salt.

@wanna_be I actually just bought a 16 serving package of the liquid IV things to add to my water at work. I normally drink 3-4 liters of water daily, and 4-5 12oz seltzers on top of that. I’ve had 5 packets of the liquid IV so far, so it might be too early to tell if it’s working or not? I don’t know how quickly hydration is supposed to happen.

There is a bit of sugar in there, which isn’t really conducive to the whole deepwater thing, but I’ve been using light scoops of plazma lately to counteract it.

We don’t interact often flats, but I knew you were a cool MFer
Going to the bowl baby!!!

2 Likes

I like the Liquid IV things if I sweat a lot on a super hot day. I dunno, I don’t try to limit sugar, but I don’t think there’s that much. You probably burn so many calories anyway.

The main difference between today’s heavily marketed “health-oriented” salts – kosher salt, Himalayan pink salt, Celtic salt, etc. – and table salt is that the latter is iodized. Any kind of salt will help hydrate, but if you for some reason are deficient in iodine (not uncommon), then table salt can help with that as well. Of course that’s a totally different issue, and I wouldn’t recommend loading up on iodine if you don’t need lol

That makes sense and I personally don’t use the iodized table salt as much just due to how I grew up. My dad and grandfather (a butcher) would only use coarse kosher on meat, and I guess I’m just following along with what was “the right way”. It would be frowned upon using fine table salt on pretty much any cut of beef.

Maybe I’ll start doing a half and half mixture, since I’m sure I am not getting iodine from any other source.

Yeah, I’m not terribly concerned about it. The first time through DW I was trying to stay as close as I could to Jon’s outlined diet. This time I’m just trying my best to stay close to the diet, but increase my ability to recover so I can really hammer the lifting days since the percentage of 1RM I’m using is WAY beyond what he recommends in the book. Seems to be working well enough so far.

Have you noticed any substantial differences between when you take the electrolytes versus when you don’t?

For sure. I forgot that important culinary point.

I’d be careful tinkering with iodine if you don’t know anything about your thyroid. It would be difficult to overdose on iodine from simply using iodized salt from time to time, but it’s still iodine. Don’t want to make a problem out of nothing.

Seaweed, fish, and dairy products offer a good amount of iodine. I say this in case it’s useful for anyone else reading: a lot of health-oriented people cut back on salt (if they do consume it, it’s probably not iodized) and dairy, and they probably don’t gourge on fish and seaweed all the time, so iodine deficiency is not uncommon in that population.

I don’t take them regularly. As long as I salt my meals liberally, my electrolytes are balanced. I only supplement when it gets crazy hot and I sweat a ton doing something outside, which is when they make a difference.

If you were getting lightheaded during workouts, it’s probably not a bad idea to stick with it and see if it helps. Or salting food more. It sounds like you have an active job on top of lifting. Not sure if you mentioned this already, but if you get leg or foot cramps, those could also indicate electrolyte imbalance.

1 Like

I do eat a decent amount of dairy in cheese, sour cream, butter and milk… I try to get it from “better” sources, so I only buy the organic full fat versions of all of them. Whether that makes any difference, I am not sure, but it makes me feel better about eating that way. So I guess it’s possible that I am fine without iodized salt?

That makes complete sense. I will probably keep taking one a day/every other day for the next week or two and see, like you said.

I did cramp up really bad a couple weeks ago in my legs which kind of drove me into searching for ways to be better hydrated without the need to just chugging water all day (which I feel I already do).

I have just been sweating more in general lately. It has been very noticable and I have no idea why it started happening. I’m hoping it’s just due to an increase in muscle mass and the weather being very hot/humid, especially considering where I live. I’ll probably keep up with the liquid IV and try to get in another liter or two of water per day. I appreciate your informative post!

Deepwater W5D4

Bench at 180lb, 3 min rest
2x10, 1x9

CGBP at 145lb, 3 min rest
3x10

Incline press at 125lb, 3 min rest
3x10

Dips x 17, 14, 13

Pushups x 10, 15, 14

Planks and sit ups

Flat bench felt heavy today, pretty sure there was something strange going on with my setup. Just about back to where I was at the end of intermediate last time, so I’m hoping to keep pushing these sets hard and add some weight to all but flat bench.

Stomach has been off today as well, not sure what that’s about. Hoping it’s just a one day issue. Have some errands to run, then dinner later. I’m thinking 8-10 scrambled eggs with some ground beef, cheese and peppers and onions thrown in. Also a salad on the side.

5 Likes

I need to reread DW again. I read your log and think this every time. Something I could maybe handle this winter.

2 Likes

Yes dude! I cannot recommend it enough. It’d be awesome to watch you run it.

The only thing I’d say to think about before hand is your weights you want to use. His calculation from the book did not translate well for me at all.

2 Likes

Planning on hitting the belt squat/power clean conditioning session tonight. That’ll conclude week 5, so I only have one week left of beginners. I’m starting to get the DW scaries at this point.

I’m guessing that after week one of intermediate, anxiety is going to be high on most lifting days. My weekends should be freeing up a little bit come October, which is good. I’m hoping to get some rest and relaxation since we don’t have any weekend obligations. That should definitely help in feeling ready to attack lifting.

@Cyrrex had mentioned this in his log, and I feel like I’m in a downswing right now. My guts aren’t terribly happy, I’ve been super tired, feeling a little weak and I feel as though I’m just looking “flat” and bloated. Just not feeling outstanding like last week. I have to stick to the plan and continue doing what I’m doing and this will pass.

Once I get to intermediate, the weights are going up. I think I’ll steal a little bit from @T3hPwnisher s advice and go with a smaller weight increase, mostly because I ran this beyond what Jon recommends in the book from the start.

Squat
Beginners- 275lb
Intermediate- 305lb

Deadlift
Beginners- 305lb
Intermediate- 340lb

Strict press
Beginners- 103lb
Intermediate- 118lb

Push press
Beginners- 123lb
Intermediate- 138lb

Power clean/log clean
Not sure yet. I ended last run through at 145lb, so maybe I’ll shoot for 150-155lb. I’ll have to test and see where my log clean stands and adjust accordingly.

5 Likes

I’m not a doctor and don’t have access to any of your bloodwork, so I cannot say for sure. But I highly doubt you are iodine-deficient. I superfluously went on this tangent because you asked what the difference was between table salt and other types of salt. I hope to not make a problem out of nothing!

Yeah, only drinking more water probably wouldn’t solve that. I hope the liquid IV and or additional salt improve things. Keep it up!

1 Like

Nope, that was just me thinking out loud

Thanks for the info though- I’m still very basic in my knowledge of all of this stuff

1 Like

Trying to figure out how to work in this last week to fit my schedule this weekend. Going out of town Friday night and coming home Sunday morning. Thinking I’ll hit DL tonight and pull day tomorrow, then press on Sunday, bench on Monday.

Ended up taking the dog for a long walk yesterday while I let dinner cook as opposed to doing the belt squats and power cleans. I’d really like to get the conditioning session in, but that’d force the end of week 6 into the middle of next week, and throws my scheduled lifting days off more than I’d like.

Dinner was

Braised bone-in grass fed chuck roast
Broccoli sprouts
Guacamole with shrimp (extra from my wife’s dinner)

First time braising a chuck, and I wish I had the time to let it take it’s time to cook. Ended up tasting good, just not quite as tender as it should’ve been.

6 Likes

I gotta learn how to cook. That looks good.

1 Like