Boilerman Wants It All

Whatever we believe, physiology rules still apply.

If you’re low carbs, for sure having your carbs around the workout is the best plan. Not only to have more energy but also to refill your glycogen stores faster, better IGF-1 and mTOR activation, and recover faster!

Honestly I think I will add back carbs in my drinks as well for I’ve been sore in my legs since monday. It could be other factors (program is brutal AF and my workload went from 12 hours to 60 hours a week + lack of sleep) but it certainly won’t hurt

In any case it won’t hurt you either to try this!

1 Like

One of the funniest studies I read involved giving powerlifters a new super fast acting steroid (which was a sugar pill). These guys knew what their max lifts were as seasoned powerlifters. I think they averaged like 50 lbs PR totals on the sugar pills. Placebo is a strong drug.

4 Likes

This is why I am an eternal skeptic. I try my hardest to stay as impartial as possible in all situations, but it’s unavoidable in nearly every circumstance.

I’m not expecting to gain 50lbs on every lift overnight (as amazing as it would be). I’m not trying to slam biotest either, because I do love metabolic drive. I wanted to try a pre/intra since it’s not really something I’ve dabbled too much in yet, so I decided might as well support the place where I post.

If I gain 10lbs and add 50lbs to my lifts I’ll eat my fucking words and scream it from the rooftops, though.

No idea what any of this means, but I’m in man. More energy, refill me up and activate me to hell and back bro. I want it all.

And that was my thought, give it a shot… If it doesn’t work for me, oh well, I won’t buy any more.of it.

1 Like

The older I have gotten the more I realize that the sole purpose of the supplement businesses is to make money from the broken dreams of young men. I have yet to see a supplement that truly delivers what is says on the packaging. Even with this knowledge the attractiveness of those shiny packages, elaborate names and promises of greatness still make me that just maybe just maybe.

5 Likes

Lol yeah man. I mean, I’d be ecstatic if this shit worked like it says, but I am not going into this expecting a PR fest and yoke mania. I’m looking for a good pre/intra that provides me with energy through a workout and to give me a little boost when I’m feeling like garbage after work.

The micro PA is the real experiment. I know my rate of muscle gain when on a coasting/strength program, and now on deepwater with a good diet and focus on lifting. If I gain more than I would without it, awesome. If not? Well that’s fine too, I’m out a little bit of money and I know it doesn’t work for me.

I also like the one when for the same weights they either used the big plates or lots of small ones and people would usually do more reps with the small plates.

The mind is a powerful tool! I know I can get emotional around heavy bars, like a primal fear at the back of my head, qnd I lift more when I have a spotter or something to desinhib this

2 Likes

I’ll give our forum overlords the benefit of the doubt. They make the BEST sleep aid bar none (even better than prescribed sleeping meds). I’ve been to sleep docs who’ve prescribed all kinds of weird shite that didn’t work. I don’t have sleep apnea so no CPAP, but Z12 just works plain and simple. It’s by far the best supplement I’ve taken.

2 Likes

Excited to see how this experiment unfolds. As a low-carber, most of the stuff hasn’t really appealed to me, so seeing it’s impact on you will be interesting.

1 Like

W3D2

OHP at 115, 5x8
BOR at 115 5x20

Incline DB press at 35lb, 25,22,21,21
NG chins +25, 4x6

BW dips x 21, 16, 14, 12
BB curl at bar, 4x20

First day of the experiment and it went well. Finally hit 5x8 on the ohps, so that goes up to 120 next week, which in turn means BOR goes up to 120 as well. I just went balls to the wall on all of the assistance stuff and it felt great. Had good energy today, but a busy weekend ahead with home maintenance work and side work tomorrow… Ripping down a wall to replace a leaking kitchen drain and hopefully getting to replacing our window that the dog attempted to jump through, and a total gut job at a buddies house. Might hold of on the side stuff until next weekend so I can get my lifting in and take my time at home.

Took some front/back/side/legs before pics for myself after lifting for comparison photos. Might throw them up later. One thing I noticed is that my body looks almost crooked? Left side is tighter/smaller than the right? Not sure if it’s in my head or not.

Glad you’re following along man! I had always wondered during DW if it would’ve made a difference or not so it’ll be cool to see any improvements.

3 Likes

PXL_20210604_231011299~2

Haven’t weighed myself in a long time but I may hop on the scale to see where I’m at before/after. Going to cap the initial experiment the second week of July and start up again after I’m back from vacation.

9 Likes

Looking tough AF. You could crush a boiler like a beer can.
I think I see that left-side tightness you’re talking about. It’s not noticeable and unless you feel weird or have asymmetrical mobility probably nothing to worry about… if you actually feel tighter on that side you could try a massage. The kind that freakin hurt. Or add mobility drills… but I’m not a good source of advice on this, that’s just my unsolicited 2c.

1 Like

Haha thanks man. Probably my insecurities talking but I still feel like a twerp.

I think the tightness stems from past injuries honestly. I’ve broken my collarbone on the left side, left wrist, and many fingers on the left hand… I’ve just used the right side of my body so much more, so it seems to be more developed. My sleeping position probably doesn’t help either. My mobility isn’t compromised on the left side, but I do have more tendonitis flare ups than on the right. As of right now, I feel it most in my left trap and shoulder, something just feels locked up. It hasn’t prevented me from any movements yet, but I’d rather have it addressed sooner than later. I think you’re right- an intense massage might be in order.

1 Like

Haha I’m sure there are some that are looking to actually bring solid products to market (to make the aforementioned money) but it’s a murky industry. I’ve tried virtually everything under the sun spent thousands and never found anything that delivered any noticeable increase in muscle mass or strength over and above what solid food and hard training bring.

I haven’t had access to biotest stuff and I’m sure their stuff is good, but the difference even the very best supplements actually make is miniscule. Only thing I take now is protein, because it’s just food.

The 16 year old boy in me is still excited about your micro PA experiment.

2 Likes

Lookin’ swole, man! Nice work in here.

I’m interested in your micro PA experiment as well. Looking forward to your results.

1 Like

I will definitely keep everything updated in here. I’m not doing any sort of crazy training program right now so I’m not sure what to expect, if anything. I’m certainly pushing myself, but not to the extent that I did on the last program.

Looking beefy! What are your goals for the initial and subsequent phases?

1 Like

Lol thanks man! I’ll take beefy any day over skinny.

For the next 5 or 6 weeks I’m just going to run Nuttys simple program. I’m hoping to continue hitting rep PRs and just milk it for the time being. Progressing as fast as possible for the sake of doing it quickly…

Then a 2 week vacation mid July, come back in August and get on a program my buddy is going to write up for me. This is where I hope some serious strength progress happens. I’m hoping to stick to his programs for a while, maybe 6-8 months, work depending…

Then back to deepwater.

It’s a very time constraint dependant plan, but as long as I have the flexibility to move training days around throughout the week I should be able to make it work.

2 Likes

W3D3

Squat 5x10 at 295lb
HLR 5x10

Power clean 4x3 at 155lb
BW squat 4x25

NG chins 4x5
Pushup 4x12

Had to skip squats yesterday, so I’m pushing everything back a day. Might continue the fri-monday next week, DOMs dependant.

Went on a service call at 7 yesterday and ended up staying out for 10 hours, minimal food and water. Pretty warm weekend here in WNY.

Squats were very, very difficult. Started with 3 mins rest for the first 3 sets, then 3 1/2, then 5 minutes before the last set… I think I matched/beat my rep PR on the first set, then did it 4 more times.

Update- drinking carbs while breathing heavy sucks. It feels like it coats my mouth and ended up having cottonmouth the entire time. Was not fun.

3 Likes

This is one of the many reasons I don’t drink anything during training. I also hate the feeling of fluid sloshing around in my gut. Good on you for overcoming where you could.

Yeah it’s in the directions… 500mL before training and 500mL to be finished roughly half way through the session. For a true test I unfortunately need to follow the rules haha.

Edit: wanted to add that I don’t normally drink anything but water/seltzers during lifting. Seltzers have become a godsend lately due to the bloat.

I don’t normally get really thirsty, but taking huge breaths through my mouth really dries out my airways. I use it mostly as a lubricant.

The mixture is pretty rough on the mouth/throat though. Probably didn’t help that it was hot as hell in my room.