Boilerman Wants It All

A bit of random ramblings/thoughts-

• I’m really digging this program so far. The two days a week are fitting in very nicely with life right now, and having some open chunks of time for conditioning make getting it done so much easier

• looking back through my log, my most “capable” times were when I was lifting hard and hitting frequent and difficult conditioning coupled with lowerish carbs. I will likely continue with BW and light DB stuff for conditioning, as the sandbags and keg seem to wear me down way too much. Maybe during 5’s weeks I can get a session in and then hold off for a few weeks before doing intense stuff like that again.

• diet has been pretty good the past couple of weeks. More protein shakes than is typical for me, but carbs have been significantly dropped back and I’m eating a much wider array of vegetables. Lots of greens.

• on a somewhat promising note, I feel like I’m starting to lean out, but I weighed in at 219 this morning. I haven’t weighed myself in a couple weeks, but what I’m seeing in the mirror is encouraging. These past 6-8 months have been monumental for me as far as muscle gain is concerned.

• I feel like I’m finally tuning in on how to eat to gain. Once I’m able to really get the nuances down, gaining muscle (more quickly) without adding too much fat should be within my reach

• started ZMA and I’ve been sleeping like a log.

8 Likes

25 minute bike
100 face pulls

1 Like

I love the shit out of this!!

If there’s anything I can do to help - just let me know!

2 Likes

I really appreciate that! I think having your thoughts on daily intake BEFORE I go buckwild would be extremely beneficial for me. It may be a couple months before I really dig into a true gaining phase again, but I will certainly tag you.

I’m sort of planning on going on autopilot for a little bit and just lift hard and eat to be healthy.

1 Like

What a whirlwind of a week.

I had every intention of hitting DL/press on Sunday, and then yesterday but my schedule just didn’t allow for it. I’ll have some time tonight to get to done… I hope. If not, I know I can carve out 15-20 mins for some conditioning.

After looking through @T3hPwnisher review of velocity diet, I decided to order the remaining necessary supplements (already have a couple bags of MD and flameout), and am going to go for it. It’s the auto pilot mode I need right now and will allow me to get more protein in without a cooking time commitment. I’m excited to start this up.

3 Likes

Hell yeah dude! You’re such the ideal dude for this. This is definitely going to suit some auto-piloting.

1 Like

531/RP W2D2

Deadlift
165x5
225x5
250x5
290x3
330x3
370x3
290x20

OHP
95x3
110x3
120x3
95 x (18, 7, 4)

Kroc Row, no straps
70x45 (R)
70x45 (L)

Axle Curl
+50 x (23, 11, 4.5)

Hanging knee tuck
x 12, 12, 12

8 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

@SvenG thanks dude! It was rough.

Had a soft start to the velocity diet yesterday. I don’t have everything I need yet, but I did 3 shakes throughout the day and one solid meal at night. It was about as healthy as I could get the solid meal. A big salad (many handfuls of spinach, grilled peppers and onions, an avocado), 3/4 lb of ground beef, pickled banana peppers and 4 medium shrimp.

I believe the rest of the stuff I need will be coming in on Friday, so I’ll get through today about the same as yesterday, and have my true day one be Friday. I’m hoping to get to week 3 day one of 531/RP today, if not I’ll get to it tomorrow.

4 Likes

531/RP W3D1

Squat
135x5
185x5
205x5
260x5
295x3
330x1
260x24

Bench
135x5
170x5
190x3
215x1
170 x (16, 5, 4)

NG Chin
(18, 7, 3.5)

Tri extension, red band wrapped twice
(29, 14, 9.5)

60 situps
directly into
1 min 35 second plank

Weighed 217 after work today. I’ll use that as a starting point for the V diet.

Squats felt strong, but that Widowmaker set sucks ass. Looking back, I probably should’ve pushed for one or two more, the bar was still moving fairly quick. My legs were giving out and shaking though.

11 Likes

I’ll follow your log.

I have started my version of much lighter 531 RP (I weigh 65 kg which should be 145 lb for you). Tough!
i just went through the first week, I’m pushing the last main set to a PR, looks you are keeping it at the prescribed reps. Probably this has much to do with the absolute weigh on the bar, I’m working with much lower weight so this is probably a bit more sustainable.

I have added a 3rd day of BB/pump movement more for personal preference than actual need. I read on the forum a suggestion to run 3 days a week, doubling the squat/bench day, but that would be impossible for me. Repeating that workout on a Friday and back to the same with more weight the next Monday.

1 Like

Thanks for following along man.

Less due to absolute weight, mostly due to being in a fairly substantial deficit. I’m pretty good at totally burning myself out and under-recovering while shooting for rep PRs and getting too close to max weights. I’m just trying to maintain some form of sustainability to be able to get through the 6 weeks and be ready for whatever program I run next.

Very interesting! I wasn’t aware of the 3 day/week version before starting this. The 2 days personally fit best with me right now due to a lot of factors, but like you, I have been trying to sneak in 20-30 mins of something (conditioning in my case) on a few non lifting days.

I see you have a log- I’ll follow along and see how you fare. I haven’t been spending as much time on the forums as I was a few months ago, but I try to pop into the logs of people I’ve been keeping up with for a while. I’ll add you to the list!

1 Like

Weighed 216 just a few mins ago. I’ve had 2 shakes so far today, and I will likely not weigh myself until the end of the 28 days, but I was definitely curious coming into this as to how fast the weight would come off. I’ve been doing closer to 2.5 scoops per shake and I’m definitely noticing some pretty intense hunger when I get close to 4 hours without having one. My abs are showing through significantly more than a few weeks ago, and my pants are fitting better around the waist.

Celebrated my mom’s birthday yesterday and I behaved on the food front, no snacks or extracurricular eating, just had a solid meal and called it. I know I’m not supposed to, but I have been drinking beer. Trying to be 100% transparent with what I’m up to.

Spent the entire day building a fence in the backyard so I’m sure my energy expenditure is through the roof today. Might do DL/OHP tomorrow.

7 Likes

I try to get the first 3 shakes within 3 hours of each other, and then I find I can ride out to the HSM with ease and the pre-bed shake can hang for a while. Might help to play with the timing. In turn, I don’t have a mid-afternoon shake.

Excited to see how this treats you!

1 Like

Interesting, I’ll definitely try a few different timing plans before settling in on the one I have been using the past few days. I find myself absolutely hating the first shake after waking up.

This week I’ll try pushing the first one out until mid morning, maybe that will help with shifting the majority of the shakes into mid day and help to tide me over until the HSM. Something like 10am, 1pm, 4pm, HSM, 9pm.

1 Like

531/RP W3D2

Deadlift
225x5
250x5
310x5
350x3
395x1
310x17

OHP
100x5
115x3
130x1
100 x (16, 7, 4)

Kroc Row, no straps
70x49 (R)
70x49 (L)

Axle Curl
+50 x (26, 12, 6)

Will hit abs later or tomorrow.

8 Likes
10 Likes

Formulating a plan for the follow-up to 531/RP… I’ll be running either MASSBUILDER or POWERBUILDER that I purchased from Brian a while ago. It’ll be an awesome way to get conditioning work in while also hitting some intense strength stuff. I’m really looking forward to it.

7 Likes

Losing fat is just crazy. Weighed 216ish a week or so ago, so I’d imagine I’m down a couple lbs from there.

This was me at 212 during the run through of BtM. From what I see, I look leaner at a potentially heavier weight. It’s so crazy how difficult it is to eat up to a weight and put on mass, but give me a month and my abs will start poking through and my waist tightens up… Going to keep at the velocity diet and eating sensibly. I’m thinking I can get fairly lean in another 8-10 weeks, then slowly gain.

531/RP week 4 starts later after I take care of a few things. Bringing my truck back to the dealer. Purchased a new (to me) car yesterday.

10 Likes

531/RP W4D1

Squat
135x5
185x5
215x5
230x5
265x5
300x5
230x31

Bench
115x5
150x5
175x5
195x5
150 x (19, 7, 5)

NG Chin
(13, 6.5, 3)

Tri extension, red band wrapped twice
(31, 19, 12)

60 situps
directly into
1 min 47 second plank

Those squats took pretty much any energy I had out of me. hanging on for dear life for the remainder. Shooting for day 2 on sunday.

11 Likes