Boilerman Wants It All

Deepwater Intermediate W4D2

Axle push press at 138lb, 9 sets to 100, 4 mins rest
14, 13, 13, 6x10

Axle curls
1x140

Planks and sit ups

Ended up working a couple hours longer than I planned. Feeling super tired and the weight felt very heavy today. Got all the reps through. Those axle curls are absolutely brutal. I was able to get to 70 reps before rest pausing the remaining 70. The curls are absolutely staying in rotation in the next programs I run. It’s crazy how stimulated my biceps get from one set on an empty bar and they have definitely grown, too, which is the goal.

11 Likes

Deepwater Intermediate W4D3

Power clean at 165lb, 9 sets to 100 reps, 4 mins rest
12, 13, 10, 9, 9, 7, 7, 5, 5 (totaled 77)

Clean pull 3x10 at 135lb

Planks and sit ups

Power cleans get heavy out of nowhere. I was feeling good through set one and two, and actually was optimistic about completing all 100.

Up at 6 am for a service call, ended up being out for 8 hours, then went to the store to buy food for the week. I’m definitely under recovered and feeling shitty, though. Making oven broiled chicken wings and crock pot beef ribs tonight.

8 Likes

Man I am sold on a lot of stuff out of deepwater but high rep power cleans is something I’ll never understand lol

Good job

1 Like

It’s the origin of the phrase Deep Water. Comes from Jasha Faye. You REALLY gotta dig deep for those

I think my favorite part of the book is him describing Jon hitting a ridiculous amount of power cleans and basically passing out after. I can somewhat relate

Thanks man. I agree high rep power cleans suck (even though they weren’t very high rep by the end)… but so do high rep deadlifts and squats and push presses haha. This program starts with the “suck” knob turned up to 11 and then just cranks it up from there.

1 Like

Well I didn’t mean the suck factor. I meant the fact that power cleans are not something you can just grind out like squats or deadlifts. They require more technique and explosiveness so if you don’t have it you just don’t have it. At least that is the way it is for me.

1 Like

Ah I see what you’re saying. I mean… I can kind of grind out power cleans. They’re not pretty, and my back and forearms completely take over, but if I take a few extra breaths at the bottom and really concentrate on leg drive I can usually bust out one or two more reps past where I would typically call it.

Oh sure I just mean grind as in push for 10 seconds on one rep. I haven’t learned how to keep up pushing on power cleans though.

1 Like

Short ribs, Chipotle chicken wings and tabouleh

7 Likes

Monday morning update

I’m absolutely exhausted. Sleep was horrible last night… super sweaty, filled to the brim with food and just uncomfortable. Woke up very hungry this morning and I’m feeling a little better after eating eggs bacon and peanut butter. Looking leaner now than ever, and I’m seeing small amounts of veins popping in my shoulders. Left bicep vein has started to show a little bit, and my forearm veins are showing again. Leaning out is cool, but I have to stay on top of recovery. I need to be better about eating while I’m busy.

I have some pretty intense neck DOMs right now, and pretty much my entire body is achy and sore. It’s not totally debilitating, but a constant soreness even if I’m just sitting. It feels like week 4 of deepwater Intermediate haha.

I think that the Deepwater effect is going to be more noticable this run through than the last. I’m DEEP in a recovery hole and once I start to level out a little I think there is going to be a muscular explosion. This run through has been much more difficult, and with the weight increase I think I rep PRed every lift these past two weeks except squats, at a lighter bodyweight. That absolutely has to be enough of a stimulus to grow some muscle.

The need to be “on” all the time is wearing on me mentally though, especially given how busy things have gotten. After benching and conditioning, I only have 2 weeks left. I need to make the best of it and keep pushing. I don’t want to fizzle out after putting so much effort in these past 10 weeks.

5 Likes

Hell yeah
Explosion coming up

1 Like

“And that’s fundamentally the message I want to spread with this: start your day off with a win. How we begin our day can often dictate how it ends, and if we start off scrambling, behind the power curve, flummoxed, blind sided and baffled, we set ourselves up to effectively waste the next 24 hours, which, in turn, sets up a viscous self-perpetuating cycle. In turn, you’ll note that often, starting off with a win means preparing yourself BEFORE you start”

“dedicating yourself for months to something only to have it blow up in your face will. Nothing will make you grow faster, bigger and stronger than royally screwing up and not being able to rise to the top spot. To always have it hovering over you, looming, taunting, THAT is what triggers anabolic, whole body, unstoppable growth. Avoiding failure is avoiding growth”

@T3hPwnisher this stuff hits home, dude. Really enjoyed the past few blog posts.

5 Likes

Great Motivation!!

1 Like

Thanks dude! It dawned on me upon seeing the two posts back to back the (totally unintentional) duality of the posts: “Start with a Win” and “Failure is Anabolic”. We can have BOTH victories and failures on this path, and BOTH are crucial to success.

1 Like

I feel like they work in perfect synchronicity. How can you fail if you don’t even try? That was my takeaway from those posts, anyway. Being willing to commit to something horrendous with the intention of pushing yourself to your own limit- I think that’s where the best mental and physical gains are hiding.

3 Likes

I don’t want to take credit for any of that if you thought I wrote it, haha. It was all pwn from a couple recent blog posts.

2 Likes

Deepwater Intermediate W4D4

Flat bench at 185lb, 4 min rest
X 10, 10, 9.5

CGBP at 160lb, 3 min rest
X 9, 10, 9.5

Incline press at 140lb, 2 min rest
X 10, 9.5, 8.5

Dips x 12.5, 9.5, 8.5

Planks and sit ups

Bought a Titan free standing dip station that came over the weekend. Set that up and used it today… I like it but the grip width is different than I’m used to.

Had to skip this yesterday due to getting out of work at 6 pm and take care of the dog, so I got in a 2 mile walk. I expect that to keep happening until we get through this first cool down here in NY. Everyone is scrambling to fix all the shit they neglected to take care of during the summer.

So many failed reps… Mental intensity was there, strength was not.

6 Likes

3 pieces of bacon
1/2 avocado
6 eggs
3/4 lb shaved steak and provolone cheese

Salad with blue cheese not pictured.

6 Likes

Hey dude, I don’t see you post much outside the logs, so I don’t know if you saw but Jon Andersen is going to do an “Ask me anything” here on the site on the 25th. Pretty awesome.

1 Like

Yeah man I saw that last night, I’m super excited! I’m going to make sure I take my full lunch that day and spend a half hour chatting. I appreciate the heads up dude!

I’ve been trying to think of some interesting questions to ask, but all I can think of is just thanking him and letting him know I’m a huge fan haha.

I made a couple more recommendations in the off topic AMA guest thread/poll as well… I think getting Eric Bugenhagen on here would be wild. He just oozes intensity and willpower… and his taste in music is impeccable.

1 Like