Boilerman Wants It All

Ah yeah of course 10x5 would be 10 sets of 5. Just had the 5x10 of BBB in mind so thought you might be using that.

Lol, still impressive - I’m smashed after doing 5x5 deadlifts with just FSL weights. But my repping ability is notoriously poor.

Do you do dead stop or touch and go? I feel like dead stop drains me like crazy, while tng I can just keep going.

If I’m not mistaken the supplemental for next week will be 5x10 at fsl

Sorry to jump in, just thought I;d share. I use them for different things almost. If I’m doing my main 531 set I use dead stop. I’ll even let go of the bar to make sure I’m stopping dead.

Where as touch and go I use for supplemental. If I’m doing drop sets, or (like hard gainers) 1 work set and then 5x5 afterwards. Or when I did BBB 5x10 - I used touch and go.

Whilst they are the same movement - they are slightly different. And have different uses.
Stop and go are better for building strength (I found). Its a like for like lift. Where as touch and go - better for getting through the reps and building speed. After a few weeks of touch and go doing hard gainers I was amazed by how quickly I could could pull the bar off the floor.

2 Likes

Ah yeah that makes sense. I always do deadlifts religiously as dead stops - I’ve only ever tried touch-and-go a few times just for fun during my FSL sets.

1 Like

No need to apologize for jumping in man, always welcome to post.

I never thought about it that way, and I do tng all the time. Maybe switching to dead stop for the main sets would benefit me a bit then?

I make sure not to just drop the bar or anything, I keep constant tension and once I feel the bar touch the floor I try and explode back up.

BTW- sucks to hear your comp was cancelled, I was looking forward to hearing how it went for you. Some day I think it’s be cool to do something like that. Got a long way to go for me tho.

Yeah, I used to do dead stop religiously, but I found that I feel the muscles working much more doing TnG. With deadstop I just feel overall fatigue, not in any particular muscles. Almost like I just stop being able to brace and my body shuts down.

2 Likes

Maybe - what works for me might not work for you. Its a funny old game this weight lifting thing. Try it - you if after 3 months its not working out - change back.

Yeah - when I go touch and go the down part is like coiling a spring. I tend not to focus on moving the weight up - but pushing the floor down. But its aggressive.

Yeah the comp going down was shit - BUT they same people have a show in February. Its heavier. The log is 90kg - not 75kg. The dead lift is 200kg not 180kg.
BUT I’m game. I got a coach and and we are going to talk about it tomorrow.

If you want to compete - make it a goal and do it. how much do you weight?
Loads of places do light weight comps now for under 80kg and under 90kg. These are fairly accessible.

1 Like

Hell yeah, more.time to prepare right?

I weigh 210lb so about 95kg. I feel as though I’m a far way off strength wise to be able to even think about signing up, though. Maybe a couple more years I’ll be confident enough in my abilities

1 Like

Yeah it takes a lot to step in stage. I’ve been wanting too for years.

One of the things I was told was do power lifting.
In strong man - its possible to 0 EVERY event. Like every thing is too heavy. If you cant do 1 rep on teps for tije, cant pick up the farmers walk or yoke, the stones are stuck to the floor. It pretty intimidating. You dont want to 0 anything. But if you’re 50/50 on every event, you could 0 them all.

In power lifting you can come in - put up a 400lb total at 200lb body weight and still have a great experience as you made all your lifts. It’s a different beast.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I’d like to just generally get stronger at this point. Still have a long way to go. It’s a good thing to aspire to.

I wouldn’t want to even do a PL comp right now either. I just feel like I’d disappoint myself, I’m cool with just lifting for now, and if an opportunity presents itself when I think I’d be happy with my lifts I’d definitely jump on it

PL1W2

Incline press
100x5
115x5
130x5
5x10 at 100lb

SS
Pull up +25lb 4x5, BW x 8
Pause pushup 5x10
HLR 5x10

Main stuff was easy today. Got a decent pump by the end. Diet has been good yesterday and today.

3 Likes

How would you disappoint yourself?

I think one of my bigger regrets with lifting was not doing a meet earlier. It lights a different kind of fire under your ass to train hard and focus. Plus, the adrenaline of the meet turns into serious PR’s if you don’t get too fucknuts and cockstrong about it. I think you’d be super surprised at your performance. I don’t know about the atmosphere in upstate NY, but over here the people at the meets are all great and encourage you to kick ass regardless of your skill level.

2 Likes

I’d echo this. I held off because I wanted to wait 'til I was strong enough. I ended up doing two strongman comps and having a blast - including the MW Ireland’s strongest man, even though I finished close to the bottom of the pack in some events I regret not doing it sooner.

Same when I got into racing bikes, missed an entire season cos I didn’t want to be too slow.

I think you should just jump in with both feet, you’ll learn more about yourself.

2 Likes

@garagerocker13 @sammymcloughlin yeah I have read in many places that meets are a great place to connect with other like minded people and they are typically quite supportive. I know I would be seeing people go for PRs.

I compare it like this… When I was playing in a band I had no problem being on stage because I was confident enough in my abilities to do it. If I fucked up, I had 4 other guys up there with me to cover my ass. Doing a meet seems like an acapella performance after just learning how to talk lol.

I don’t think I’d be embarrassed to put my lifting numbers out there (obviously, I’m on a worldwide forum right now), but I’m not exactly proud of them. It’s more of a personal discouragement and self consciousness than anything. I feel like I should be better, and that’s all I’m attempting to do right now. However, I will at some point just do it. My area is on the verge of locking down again so I’m assuming it’s be a no-go for the next few months at least, but some point soon I will commit to doing a meet.

1 Like

As a counterpoint to that, when you have a set list, you can know that inside out and back to front and you can derive your confidence somewhat from knowing what you’re going to play. When you’re lifting you’re often going to be 50/50 on your third attempt and you’re literally being judged by the judges. I get your point, but I feel like they’re different.

1 Like

I’m not going to try and convince you either way. All I’ll say is this - check out some meet results on line. The one local to me had a 110kg guy post a 90kg bench. He failed the other 2 at 95kg. I can all but guarantee he still had a good day.
The point isnt about winning (unless you’re in with a shout). Its about knowing you done something brave

2 Likes

@carlbm @sammymcloughlin thanks for the advice and support guys. It is definitely something I’ll check out. I don’t even know where to look for any meets to begin with. Not sure where any strongman or PL gyms are to be honest, never been to one.

I’ll ask my buddy, he has done a ton of them.

2 Likes

No problem. Dunno where you are but if you google your area and a federation that might work. I think starting strongman might have a list of comps? If not, you could check out the strongman subreddit, I’m sure they’d be able to point you in the right direction.

Ping me a DM if you want to chat about it.

1 Like

Thanks dude, I’m in NY. I’ll do a little bit of digging and see if anyone is actually even doing them at this point