Bogus About Prisoners

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Rational Gaze wrote:
I’m motivated to stay out of prison.

Too bad that won’t help you stretch the sleeves of a t-shirt.[/quote]

What if the only way I could stay out of prison was to get bigger (a bit like in that film Speed, except instead of Dennis Hopper it was Ronnie Coleman).

You have to realize that to the average sedentary person, anyone with arms much over 15-16" is considered “big”…or at least bigger than any of them are getting by hardly ever working out. therefore, any group that even shows marginal progress gets labeled as jacked permanently…and I agree, many of the bigger guys were already bigger before they ever went to jail.

It is the same bullshit as those who think going to bootcamp somehow makes you jacked…simply because some underweight guys may actually gain a little. the truth is, anyone with any real size on them will probably lose size during bootcamp and anyone truly getting that much more defined as a result of it was likely damn near immobile before they went in.

People like to believe in short cuts…as in, the hard work isn’t what got them big, there must be something MAGICAL about prison or bootcamp that somehow makes men out of weaklings.

I guess if being incarcerated is the only way you can get some people to actually lift weights with seriousness and intensity, it shows that some simply do not have it in them unless their fucking lives are at risk.[/quote]

Many years ago friend got yelled at by his college football coach when he came back from bootcamp, he was down to 220. He was already a big guy before bootcamp and then had to work to gain back a ton of weight/size. X, you are right to the uninformed observer they would just see a ripped 220 guy coming out of bootcamp, as if that was all he ever did.

[quote]thr_wedge wrote:
Professor X wrote:
You have to realize that to the average sedentary person, anyone with arms much over 15-16" is considered “big”…or at least bigger than any of them are getting by hardly ever working out. therefore, any group that even shows marginal progress gets labeled as jacked permanently…and I agree, many of the bigger guys were already bigger before they ever went to jail.

It is the same bullshit as those who think going to bootcamp somehow makes you jacked…simply because some underweight guys may actually gain a little. the truth is, anyone with any real size on them will probably lose size during bootcamp and anyone truly getting that much more defined as a result of it was likely damn near immobile before they went in.

People like to believe in short cuts…as in, the hard work isn’t what got them big, there must be something MAGICAL about prison or bootcamp that somehow makes men out of weaklings.

I guess if being incarcerated is the only way you can get some people to actually lift weights with seriousness and intensity, it shows that some simply do not have it in them unless their fucking lives are at risk.

Many years ago friend got yelled at by his college football coach when he came back from bootcamp, he was down to 220. He was already a big guy before bootcamp and then had to work to gain back a ton of weight/size. X, you are right to the uninformed observer they would just see a ripped 220 guy coming out of bootcamp, as if that was all he ever did.[/quote]

Shit, I was one of those guys. I was 270lbs when the recruiter first hooked up with me. I went int weighing just over 225lbs and hit 230lbs during training…which was weak as hell for me but everyone treated me like I was fucking Mr. Olympia.

It took me a very long time to gain that size back as it seemed that all of that dieting and military training just wrecked my body’s metabolism. It took me over a year to finally get back to just 260lbs. After that, it was like everything came back on line, but the idea that bootcamp somehow makes you swole is bullshit. It makes big guys smaller and weaker with MAYBE better conditioning and it gives tiny guys the ability to actually lift their own body weight.

Amazing.

Prison seems to be no different. People just see what they want to see and to the average person, ANY visible muscle mass makes you a monster.

funny i should see this thread today. i was benching last night and this guy walked up to me and asked how much weight i had on the bar. i said “725… but it’s a reverse band setup so it’s actually it’s about 625 at the top and 500 and some change at the chest” He said," yeah… the really strong guys are in prison.

He said when he was in prison, he saw a guy inlcine press 585 x 4 he then went on to squat 785 raw. he just sat down there laughing. He was gonna go to 910 on his next set but the guards didn’t want anyone squatting over 700lbs."

I really need to write a book about all these World record holding Gym lifters that everyone knows. It seems like everyone i talk to at the gym knows someone that has benched 600 and squatted over 700.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:

I really need to write a book about all these World record holding Gym lifters that everyone knows. It seems like everyone i talk to at the gym knows someone that has benched 600 and squatted over 700. [/quote]

everybodys brother, cousin, friend of a friend, some guy they heard about are all stronger and bigger than us :wink:

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
funny i should see this thread today. i was benching last night and this guy walked up to me and asked how much weight i had on the bar. i said “725… but it’s a reverse band setup so it’s actually it’s about 625 at the top and 500 and some change at the chest” He said," yeah… the really strong guys are in prison.

He said when he was in prison, he saw a guy inlcine press 585 x 4 he then went on to squat 785 raw. he just sat down there laughing. He was gonna go to 910 on his next set but the guards didn’t want anyone squatting over 700lbs."

I really need to write a book about all these World record holding Gym lifters that everyone knows. It seems like everyone i talk to at the gym knows someone that has benched 600 and squatted over 700. [/quote]

The best part is he had no idea what you had on the bar, easiest way to put a lier in his place is to ask him what goes on the bar for that much weight. Anyone that’s serious can tell you 585 is 6 plates per side etc., these other idiots would say 3 plates and bullshit like when my cousin claimed a 400 pound bench and when I asked him it took him a few minutes to say 3 plates, I just laughed and left it at that.

[quote]Rocky101 wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:

I really need to write a book about all these World record holding Gym lifters that everyone knows. It seems like everyone i talk to at the gym knows someone that has benched 600 and squatted over 700.

everybodys brother, cousin, friend of a friend, some guy they heard about are all stronger and bigger than us :wink:
[/quote]

Either that or you get people who have nearly died from diabetes related health problems informing you of how dangerous that steak is.

Rocky101 wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:

Either that or you get people who have nearly died from diabetes related health problems informing you of how dangerous that steak is.[/quote]

…or fatasses telling your form is off.

[quote]Rocky101 wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:

[/quote]

I know where your coming from, agreed

thr_wedge wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I guess if being incarcerated is the only way you can get some people to actually lift weights with seriousness and intensity, it shows that some simply do not have it in them unless their fucking lives are at risk.

Many years ago friend got yelled at by his college football coach when he came back from bootcamp, he was down to 220. He was already a big guy before bootcamp and then had to work to gain back a ton of weight/size. X, you are right to the uninformed observer they would just see a ripped 220 guy coming out of bootcamp, as if that was all he ever did.

Shit, I was one of those guys. I was 270lbs when the recruiter first hooked up with me. I went int weighing just over 225lbs and hit 230lbs during training…which was weak as hell for me but everyone treated me like I was fucking Mr. Olympia.

It took me a very long time to gain that size back as it seemed that all of that dieting and military training just wrecked my body’s metabolism. It took me over a year to finally get back to just 260lbs. After that, it was like everything came back on line, but the idea that bootcamp somehow makes you swole is bullshit. It makes big guys smaller and weaker with MAYBE better conditioning and it gives tiny guys the ability to actually lift their own body weight.

Amazing.

Prison seems to be no different. People just see what they want to see and to the average person, ANY visible muscle mass makes you a monster.[/quote]

You mention that bootcamp is similar in the sense that people in general believe going to bootcamp will get you jacked.

Having gone to boot camp myself, and knowing a few people who actually trained before going, we all lost weight. I lost the least amount (but also weighed the least). Two big guys lost over 20 lbs each, one closer to 30.

What interested me was when you said bootcamp military training shot your metabolism and took you a year or so to recover and get back on track at the gym.

What exactly do you mean by this?

The reason I ask is because a fitness competition girl I know was concerned about the same issue before I left last summer. I haven’t spoken to her since returning but I’d really like to clear this up.

Thanks for your time, no rush.

My guess is X meant boot camp caused a huge boost in his metabolism from all the cardio and conditioning that his body was in such a go go go mode that it took some time for him to get adjusted back to a normal lifestyle with a large amount of food and getting his body to utilize those calories properly to pack on more muscle.

A lot of my friends that suffer from not being able to gain weight quickly usually come from an athletic track and field type lifestyle or they just don’t eat enough.

Rocky101 wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:

Either that or you get people who have nearly died from diabetes related health problems informing you of how dangerous that steak is.[/quote]

I agree with you there X, I was having an argument with my friend whose wife is a renown cardiologist who does not eat beef. I am pretty sure she has other reasons but I just cannot believe someone so familiar with heart diseases demonizing beef when she can clearly afford to eat grass-fed organic beef with her high six digit salary.

[quote]thekrown wrote:

You mention that bootcamp is similar in the sense that people in general believe going to bootcamp will get you jacked.

Having gone to boot camp myself, and knowing a few people who actually trained before going, we all lost weight. I lost the least amount (but also weighed the least). Two big guys lost over 20 lbs each, one closer to 30.

What interested me was when you said bootcamp military training shot your metabolism and took you a year or so to recover and get back on track at the gym.

The reason I ask is because a fitness competition girl I know was concerned about the same issue before I left last summer. I haven’t spoken to her since returning but I’d really like to clear this up.

Thanks for your time, no rush. [/quote]

It was overall stress.

All in one year, I went from what was then my heaviest body weight (at about 270lbs or so) down to 220lbs (most of this was in about a 3-4 month period during board exams, finals, and graduation anxiety). I then had to live with my parents with no job for 2 months during that summer because dropping the weight set back my entrance date into the military. My parents house is not bodybuilding friendly.

Add in the fact that my car died right after graduation and you end up with a guy who was used to being much heavier suddenly being forced to have a much harder time even getting to the gym (no buses near my parent’s house) while going most of the summer without enough food to even feed the muscle I had left…so I ended up being in a position where I was losing muscle, was running regularly (for prep for the military), and basically put my body into all out catabolism for nearly 6 months or more total.

Mind you, my goal after weigh-ins was to go back up in weight before I went to my first base but considering my only income was from financial aid and that ended with graduation and I had planned for an earlier acceptance date but ended up not leaving until August…I was fucked.

They also don’t exactly feed you that much during bootcamp and eating times are limited.

Bottom line, I think going through all of that just sent my body into a tail spin. My strength was down to the point that I was wondering if I was sick during most of that. I remember going to the gym on base and literally having NOTHING left in the tank.

It was winter before my weight really started climbing back to where it was and then we had pt tests around February so I couldn’t gain much body weight.

I then had to live with my parents with no job for 2 months during that summer because dropping the weight set back my entrance date into the military. My parents house is not bodybuilding friendly.

suddenly being forced to have a much harder time even getting to the gym (no buses near my parent’s house) while going most of the summer without enough food to even feed the muscle I had left…
[/quote]

Interesting you should say this, because it sounds a lot like my current situation. Although I can’t see what they could possibly be, if there are any tips/etc you can give they would be much appreciated.

[quote]thekrown wrote:

Thanks for your time, no rush. [/quote]

It was overall stress.

All in one year, I went from what was then my heaviest body weight (at about 270lbs or so) down to 220lbs (most of this was in about a 3-4 month period during board exams, finals, and graduation anxiety). I then had to live with my parents with no job for 2 months during that summer because dropping the weight set back my entrance date into the military. My parents house is not bodybuilding friendly.

Add in the fact that my car died right after graduation and you end up with a guy who was used to being much heavier suddenly being forced to have a much harder time even getting to the gym (no buses near my parent’s house) while going most of the summer without enough food to even feed the muscle I had left…so I ended up being in a position where I was losing muscle, was running regularly (for prep for the military), and basically put my body into all out catabolism for nearly 6 months or more total.

Mind you, my goal after weigh-ins was to go back up in weight before I went to my first base but considering my only income was from financial aid and that ended with graduation and I had planned for an earlier acceptance date but ended up not leaving until August…I was fucked.

They also don’t exactly feed you that much during bootcamp and eating times are limited.

Bottom line, I think going through all of that just sent my body into a tail spin. My strength was down to the point that I was wondering if I was sick during most of that. I remember going to the gym on base and literally having NOTHING left in the tank.

It was winter before my weight really started climbing back to where it was and then we had pt tests around February so I couldn’t gain much body weight.

[/quote]

Any tips for those going for a 3 month training period?

This summer I will be off for 3 months and I probably won’t have access to a gym. If I do have access I was thinking of going once a week on saturday to just do series of exercises in the 3 rep range using pyramids.

For example, I was thinking that if I ate as much as I could and possibly try to sneak in some whey powder during the week I could then hit saturday and do squat, dead lift (or bent-over rows if doing dl’s is too taxing), bench 3x3 to keep my strength up as much as I can.

I myself have never done more than a week at a time in county, but two of my best friends both went to prison, one for a year and a half and one for just under five years. Some places you have weightrooms, some you don’t. But, you do have commissary where you can get extra food and have it in your cell. It’s usually things like tuna, pb, mackeral, ramen, egg powders, crackers, things like that. It really wouldn’t be that hard to get in a lot of calories. Also, when you combine unlimited amounts of time and imagination you can get a lot done. My boy who did the year and a half had no weightroom, so all he did was bodyweight stuff, and he did it daily. Various push-ups, dips, pull-ups, squats, lunges, etc… He came out 20lbs heavier and looked way thicker. My boy who did damn near five got shifted around a lot. Sometimes there were weights and sometimes there wasn’t. He’d fluctuate depending on certain things but he gained 15 or so pounds of weight but was fucking shredded when he came out, so he actually gained quite a bit more. Neither of them would be confused with Olympia competitors, but they definitely looked better than someone who’s only been lifting semi-seriously for a year or two.

I have to agree with Professor X on his statements about commitment.

You also have to differentiate between jail and prison, because they are not the same. Sure, all you clean-record-having bastards probably think that [insert envy], but the truth is that jail is more likely to house people who are detained for a short period of time, typically less than 1 year. There are some exceptions but not many, unless you have Federal inmates fighting their case.

In prison, guys who are huge are the guys who take it seriously, so much to the point where they have their headphones on listening to their music, or have used an iron to solder and makes speakers for a stereo. They are not the guys to fuck with, and if you plan on working out with them, they make is very clear that they take it seriously. Yet if they see you are truly determined, then will take you under their wing and show you their methods. Now, their methods are only their methods, not the only method to achieving what you want. You also see guys who are huge who are in prison for a long time. It’s not much different than old school lifters who put in their time in the gym. They understand that it takes time. They do not have access to nearly as many machines, with virtually no cardio equipment to speak of other than some kind of dirt track.

It is also known that these guys gorge themselves after their lifting, and not by the chemistry experiments found in the chow hall. They cook for themselves, using packets of tuna, chicken, eggs and veggies stolen from the kitchen. You can obtain nearly anything, if you can meet the price requirement for it. The food choices are so limited, and protein is such a highly prized item in prison, it is often used as currency. A haircut cost a packet of tuna or 2 packets of mackerel.

Right. Prison is not the same as jail. In prison, you have guys who are truly in hell on earth. Not to say that a place like Riker’s is a padded nursery, but prison is for YEARS.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Right. Prison is not the same as jail. In prison, you have guys who are truly in hell on earth. Not to say that a place like Riker’s is a padded nursery, but prison is for YEARS. [/quote]

Basically yes, and also no jails I have ever heard of have weights, in jail it’s usually body eight stuff, or whatever books you can stuff into a pillow case.

A friend of mine used to be a gaurd. He told me that alot of guys try to get jobs in the kitchen so they can eat all they can get. Like someone also said, good food is dear in jail. The skiny dudes trade their food to the big guys for smokes and other shit. Also where he worked they were allowed to eat as much bread as they wanted. You were only allowed to have one cereal, one milk etc but you could fill up on cheap bread. It was not uncommen to see a inmate chow down a whole loaf in one sitting to get his calories in.