Bodyweight Workouts for Vertical

Hey all i am new to this site and also not very good at english.I think there are people in here that can give an answer to my problem,i recently started the bodyweight programm from vert jump bible to gain strength,is it gonna work ??? or i need to use weights to become stronger??

I think my vert is around 31 inches and i have never lifted weights seriously only for 3 months before a year.The only thing i do is play tons of bbal and jump a lot so i think strength is my weakness ,is my bodyweight enought to work on my strength?? PLZ help me guys and again sorry for bad english.

No it isn’t. A bodyweight program won’t really load your muscles any more than playing a lot of basketball does. You need to join a gym or get some weights if you want to improve.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
No it isn’t. A bodyweight program won’t really load your muscles any more than playing a lot of basketball does. You need to join a gym or get some weights if you want to improve.[/quote]

I think that’s bullshit. Doing fuckloads of pushups and dips gave me an awesome base to start lifting with. It probably improved my tendon strength for it too.

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

[quote]smallmike wrote:
No it isn’t. A bodyweight program won’t really load your muscles any more than playing a lot of basketball does. You need to join a gym or get some weights if you want to improve.[/quote]

I think that’s bullshit. Doing fuckloads of pushups and dips gave me an awesome base to start lifting with. It probably improved my tendon strength for it too.[/quote]

I am comfused right now but it seems to load the muscles a bit cause my legs are super soreee after the 4th workout !!

I am super soree after the 4th week and kelly says that it’s an amazing programm to improve leg strengh,i hope i get answer from someone who has done it

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

I think that’s bullshit. Doing fuckloads of pushups and dips gave me an awesome base to start lifting with. It probably improved my tendon strength for it too.[/quote]

For vertical jump?

Bodyweight Squats can be KILLER…DON’T let anyone tell you bodyweight exercises aren’t
effective, or that you can have decent gains with them.

I maintain my position that if you already jump a lot and play basketball frequently, additional bodyweight exercises won’t help your vertical jump–you need to increase the load if you want to get stronger and push your body farther off the ground.

You may be sore because they are new movements, but if you don’t increase the load, you aren’t going to get the power increase needed to raise your vertical.

I think people here are getting confused between bodyweight exercises improving strength/muscle development in general and actually helping to increase vertical jump. I’m not arguing that bodyweight exercises are bad, just that if you already jump a lot, presumably with your own bodyweight, you won’t be able to gain enough strength to increase your vert by continuing to use only the weight of your body, you will need to add additional load.

Yes i see your point i will propably start squating next week,and also try to deadlift althought i am 6’2 and it’s hard for me

Weighted exercises are great, no argument there, but you can generally go pretty far with just body weight stuff if you know what you’re doing.

For instance:
BW squats
BW jumps for height
BW jumps for distance
BW jumps onto a box for height
BW jumps for distance onto a box
BW jumps for height and distance onto a box
BW pistols (full ROM single leg squats)
BW jumping pistols
BW jumping pistols for distance
BW jumping pistols onto a box for height
BW jumping pistols onto a box for distance
BW jumping pistols onto a box for height and distance

If you complete that progression successfully, you are going to have some powerful legs and unless you are already a very strong squatter or have a tremendous vertical to begin with, you are likely to increase your jumping ability.

I already do a lot of these exercises but what you mean for height and distance?No i am not a very strong squatter that’s my weakness

[quote]VertblesseD wrote:
I already do a lot of these exercises but what you mean for height and distance?No i am not a very strong squatter that’s my weakness[/quote]

I mean jumping onto an increasingly higher and/or further away box.

If you can do a full ROM jumping pistol onto a box that is hip height or higher for a decent number of reps (say 5 x 5), you should be squatting at least 1.5x BW in my experience (once you get the form down).

Think about it this way, a pistol is essentially a body weight squat done with one leg (but with considerably more balance and coordination requirements). Jumping onto a box from sitting on your ankle on one leg takes a very high degree of leg strength and explosiveness.

If you really have exhausted the limits of body weight leg exercises though, I would definitely recommend doing some heavy squatting or better yet Olympic lifting (if you can find a good coach).

No i am far from exhaust the limits of bodyweight squats or pistol squats ,i can’t do it if i don’t put my hands to something stable,so i need to pack a lot of strenght.Thanks for the advices mate i wonder what will my verticall be when i get really stronger

Try putting a 45 pound straight bar an your shoulders and doing jumping squats, just dont land with your legs locked. Do it to exhaustion a few times a day. Itll shred your glutes and hamstrings and make them much stronger

Really? i have not heard that again before ,but how many times a week?

[quote]VertblesseD wrote:
Hey all i am new to this site and also not very good at english.I think there are people in here that can give an answer to my problem,i recently started the bodyweight programm from vert jump bible to gain strength,is it gonna work ??? or i need to use weights to become stronger??

I think my vert is around 31 inches and i have never lifted weights seriously only for 3 months before a year.The only thing i do is play tons of bbal and jump a lot so i think strength is my weakness ,is my bodyweight enought to work on my strength?? PLZ help me guys and again sorry for bad english.[/quote]

Use weight!

Well times a week will have to be determined by your training and how well your muscles recover.

The number one priority is always to avoid injury.

I learned the jumping squats years ago when I rowed and i still use it to this day to strengthen my legs for running with a vest and pack

I would start off trying something like

Week one 3 days - jumping squats with no weight to exhaustion morning, before lunch, after work/before dinner
Week two 3 days- jumping squats 45 pound bar 4 times each of the three days (this is because you will become tired more quickly and wont be able to go as long)
Week three- jumping squats 45 pound bar 3 times each day with the goal of going for the same amount of time/reps as you did with no weight in week 1
Week four- repeat what you did week 3
Week five- try to do all three sets in one hour, but making sure each set you jumped as many times as you did on each set in previous weeks

If that doesnt make sense just let me know and ill try to break it down better

Wow using weight at pistol squats must be really hard…ghillie thanks for your help i will propably do it somewhere after the bodyweight programm, i started 6 weeks before and i have 6 more weeks to finish… my legs are screaming!!

No problem keep us updated and how it works out for you

[quote]Ghillie wrote:
Well times a week will have to be determined by your training and how well your muscles recover.

The number one priority is always to avoid injury.

I learned the jumping squats years ago when I rowed and i still use it to this day to strengthen my legs for running with a vest and pack

I would start off trying something like

Week one 3 days - jumping squats with no weight to exhaustion morning, before lunch, after work/before dinner
Week two 3 days- jumping squats 45 pound bar 4 times each of the three days (this is because you will become tired more quickly and wont be able to go as long)
Week three- jumping squats 45 pound bar 3 times each day with the goal of going for the same amount of time/reps as you did with no weight in week 1
Week four- repeat what you did week 3
Week five- try to do all three sets in one hour, but making sure each set you jumped as many times as you did on each set in previous weeks

If that doesnt make sense just let me know and ill try to break it down better[/quote]

This is horrible advice. Don’t do this.