T Nation

Bodyweight Workout for Newbie

Hey Guys,

A friend of mine has been pestering me to help her workout and "train" her for some time now. I finally agreed. She wants to learn some bodyweight stuff I guess. She's 25, claims to be athletic, and has put on a few pounds for the first time in her life.

I'm thinking of just doing pushups and bw squats and maybe throwing in some HIIT...but I doubt she could do a pullup and I'm drawing a blank on what to do to train her lowerback/ass (one area she wants to work on)

Any advice will be appreciated.

Well you would probably be better off emphasizing Dips

Negative Chins till she is strong enough to do full reps

Squats and lunges will work her legs and butt

Ab work, hyperextentions, and glute-hams for lower back.

well i dont no about anyone else but when i hear bodyweight programme the first ting i tink of is Alwyn Cosgrove.
check out his website for some ideas.

http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/

Thanks guys.

She came over and I just had her pick up a 10lb plate (she said she had two 10lb dbs at her place). She actually was athletic (I didn’t know) I guess she used to be good a few years back but hasn’t trained much in the last few years.

Anyway her technique was fine, so we did a complex (dead/pushups/squats/bent-over rows/curl/french press). Then she said she wanted to “run” so I tried to do HIIT with her, but she was exhausted after two sprints.

Thanks again guys.

Thanks guys.

She came over and I just had her pick up a 10lb plate (she said she had two 10lb dbs at her place). She actually was athletic (I didn’t know) I guess she used to be good a few years back but hasn’t trained much in the last few years.

Anyway her technique was fine, so we did a complex (dead/pushups/squats/bent-over rows/curl/french press). Then she said she wanted to “run” so I tried to do HIIT with her, but she was exhausted after two sprints.

Thanks again guys.