T Nation

Bodyweight Training

I have always stuck strictly to weight lifting but I though that I would focus on bodyweight training for a while.

However I have only done dips, pushups, and pullup variations, what would be some other good bodyweight exercises that would hit bodyparts like legs and shoulders?

[quote]-ETHAN- wrote:
I have always stuck strictly to weight lifting but I though that I would focus on bodyweight training for a while.

However I have only done dips, pushups, and pullup variations, what would be some other good bodyweight exercises that would hit bodyparts like legs and shoulders?[/quote]

Squats and overhead presses. Why would someone with gym access avoid weights and focus on bodyweight exercises for no reason? It isn’t like it will be more effective than weight lifting. The only purpose would be if you were going to be tested on specific bodyweight exercises.

Dips and pull ups are the part of many people’s routine so why separate them out like they don’t fit with a weight lifting program?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
-ETHAN- wrote:

However I have only done dips, pushups, and pullup variations, what would be some other good bodyweight exercises that would hit bodyparts like legs and shoulders?

Squats and overhead presses. Why would someone with gym access avoid weights and focus on bodyweight exercises for no reason? It isn’t like it will be more effective than weight lifting. The only purpose would be if you were going to be tested on specific bodyweight exercises.

Dips and pull ups are the part of many people’s routine so why separate them out like they don’t fit with a weight lifting program?[/quote]

I’d have to agree with X, although I must admit that I have done my share of bodyweight training in the past. If you are just looking for something new, then fine. But, X is right in saying that it probably won’t do that much for you in terms of muscle mass and strength (supposing you’ve been lifting for a while).

It can however really help you improve your balance, agility and coordination (or course so can weight lifting, especially the O lifts).

In addition to the exercises you mentioned, you should check out planche holds/push-ups, front lever holds/pull-ups, handstand/HSPU, muscle-ups, and if you have access to rings, you can also work on iron crosses/cross pull-outs, L-sits, various presses to handstands, basically check out gymnastics sources.

But, keep in mind, some of the above exercises will take a significant amount of time to learn. For instance, planche push-ups require one to have the chest/shoulder/tricep strength to perform a 2X BW bench press. However, they also require much, much more balance and total body coordination. Therefore, don’t expect to get these exercises down quickly (it generally takes at least 6 months to get a straddle planche push-up).

Also, you can always add external resistance to the exercises you mentioned (especially pull-ups and dips).

Lower body exercises are a little harder to come by. The only really good ones I can think of are Pistols and natural GHR’s.

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]-ETHAN- wrote:
I have always stuck strictly to weight lifting but I though that I would focus on bodyweight training for a while.[/quote]

Why? What is it you want to accomplish?

– ElbowStrike

[quote]-ETHAN- wrote:

However I have only done dips, pushups, and pullup variations, what would be some other good bodyweight exercises that would hit bodyparts like legs and shoulders?[/quote]

you have the privilege to have a gym membership and you aren’t going to take advantage of it?? im very angry at you.
Due to financial reasons(gym memberships cost an arm and a leg in england) i can only do bodyweight exercises. however my mate and i go to the gym once a week because we have 18 free passes left. Thats when we take the opportunity to lift heavy as hell.

Anyway bodyweight exercises arent useless at all. they can be very good for strength and mass. i gained a lot of strength and mass by doing one arm pushups everyday, and i am still stuck with reps of 5 so its not that easy. A lot of big guys that lift weights all the time arent even that good at lifting their own bodyweight.

so do these:
one arm pushups
tiger pushups
one legged squats
chin ups(with weights too if you want)
dips(with weights)

and if you are really strong then do
handstand pushups
dragon flags
all those planche stuff.

with more info just go on www.bodyweightculture.com.

you can still have heavy workouts with your own bodyweight. it just takes patience and creativity.

[quote]MuscleBear wrote:
-ETHAN- wrote:

you have the privilege to have a gym membership and you aren’t going to take advantage of it?? im very angry at you.
Due to financial reasons(gym memberships cost an arm and a leg in england) i can only do bodyweight exercises. however my mate and i go to the gym once a week because we have 18 free passes left. Thats when we take the opportunity to lift heavy as hell.

Anyway bodyweight exercises arent useless at all. they can be very good for strength and mass. i gained a lot of strength and mass by doing one arm pushups everyday, and i am still stuck with reps of 5 so its not that easy. A lot of big guys that lift weights all the time arent even that good at lifting their own bodyweight.

so do these:
one arm pushups
tiger pushups
one legged squats
dips(with weights)

handstand pushups
dragon flags
all those planche stuff.

you can still have heavy workouts with your own bodyweight. it just takes patience and creativity.[/quote]

MuscleBear,

Stop doing 1 arm push-ups everyday. The reason you’re still stuck at 5 reps is because you’re not giving your body enough time to recover, and are probably burning out your CNS as well.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
MuscleBear wrote:
-ETHAN- wrote:

so do these:
one arm pushups
tiger pushups
one legged squats
dips(with weights)

handstand pushups
dragon flags
all those planche stuff.

you can still have heavy workouts with your own bodyweight. it just takes patience and creativity.

MuscleBear,

Stop doing 1 arm push-ups everyday. The reason you’re still stuck at 5 reps is because you’re not giving your body enough time to recover, and are probably burning out your CNS as well.[/quote]

i see. its just that i thought the more you trained, the easier it woud get.

[quote]MuscleBear wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
MuscleBear wrote:
-ETHAN- wrote:

so do these:
one arm pushups
tiger pushups
one legged squats
dips(with weights)

handstand pushups
dragon flags
all those planche stuff.

MuscleBear,

Stop doing 1 arm push-ups everyday. The reason you’re still stuck at 5 reps is because you’re not giving your body enough time to recover, and are probably burning out your CNS as well.

i see. its just that i thought the more you trained, the easier it woud get.[/quote]

Well, it’s true that frequent practice can improve neuromuscular efficiency, thus making you better at the movement. But, there is a limit to what your body/nervous system can handle.

You also have to make sure to stay away from failure doing this type of training. And, while it will make you better at the movement, it won’t build much in the way of muscle. Notice that guys like Pavel are decently strong for their size and can do some decently hard exercises, but they aren’t muscular by any stretch of the imagination.

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
MuscleBear wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
MuscleBear wrote:
-ETHAN- wrote:

so do these:
one arm pushups
tiger pushups
one legged squats
dips(with weights)

handstand pushups
dragon flags
all those planche stuff.

MuscleBear,

i see. its just that i thought the more you trained, the easier it woud get.

Well, it’s true that frequent practice can improve neuromuscular efficiency, thus making you better at the movement. But, there is a limit to what your body/nervous system can handle.

You also have to make sure to stay away from failure doing this type of training. And, while it will make you better at the movement, it won’t build much in the way of muscle. Notice that guys like Pavel are decently strong for their size and can do some decently hard exercises, but they aren’t muscular by any stretch of the imagination.

Good training,

Sentoguy[/quote]

thanks. i will make sure to stop the set as soon as i feel that im nearing failure. well its weird but my arms, chest and shoulders have grown so much since i started doing one arm pushups. my abs have also gone harder. i just think its progressive resistance. as soon as i can do 10 one arm pushups easy, i will just switch to doing them with my feet on a chair.:slight_smile: