Bodyweight Skills

Hey, I’m relatively new in lifting, around only a year’s experience. I’ve always wanted to do things like planche, and so far I have a small hold in the tuck planche. Right now I’m following a basic Westside template, so im wondering how i should incorporate things like the planche, one handstand holds, and things like the flare with my lifting routine?

For those that dont know that the planche is…

Do them AFTER your lifting (pref on a different day) and especially nowhere near your ME days.

BW skills are a very good exercise since they basically work the whole body, esp. lots of muscles that work as stabilizers during the powerlifting compound lifts, so doing these while you are already exhausted by BW exercises will hinder your progress and might even be potentially dangerous.

[quote]mishaps wrote:
Hey, I’m relatively new in lifting, around only a year’s experience. I’ve always wanted to do things like planche, and so far I have a small hold in the tuck planche. Right now I’m following a basic Westside template, so im wondering how i should incorporate things like the planche, one handstand holds, and things like the flare with my lifting routine?

For those that dont know that the planche is…
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/[/quote]

Hi mishaps.

I’ve worked on those progressions in the past (got to straddle planche and full front lever) and they take a long time and a lot of consistency to achieve.

As far as working them into a Westside template, I’m probably not the best person to ask as I’ve never actually followed a Westside template (Me day and RE/DE day). But, I would probably do them on the ME day personally. Notice in the article that Coach Sommer says that he has his athletes do the holds after they’ve done their physical preparation work (at the end of their workout).

Now the disadvantage is that at this point you’re not going to have much energy. So you may progress very slowly. If you really want to develop those skills you’d probably be better off focusing on them. Or, since I believe that Westside switches up ME exercises every so many weeks, you could utilize those exercises as your ME exercises and just throw in a lower body exercise or two.

Good training,

Sentoguy

Thanks for the comments guys. Im thinking of doing a planche&bodyweight skills progression day instead of a RE Upper day currently.

Also, Sentoguy, how did you work on the progressions? What was the frequency of the workouts & how long did you do the holds?

I know consistency is one of the biggest parts of achieving the planche, just keep practicing and practicing. I have no intentions of giving up.

I mishaps,

I actually tried numerous methods of working on the progressions. At first I was probably a little overzealous and took too many of my sets to or damn close to failure. This resulted in my progress being greatly slowed.

I also tried numerous training frequencies (everything from 5-6 days per week to 3 days per week) and got varying degrees of success with each.

Finally, after a long time of struggling and creeping my way along the progressions I decided to ask the source (Coach Sommer) for advice over on the DragonDoor forum.

He suggested that one should split the max hold time for each exercise in half and then do however many sets were needed to get to 60 seconds total time. He also suggested that rest intervals should be between 45-90 seconds.

He also suggested that one not increase the hold times for a full 8 weeks (and perhaps longer). If the last set feels easy at the end of the 8 weeks, then give yourself a couple days rest and try a max hold. Your time should have improved. Then just repeat the process until you reach a 60 second max hold.

I know it sounds like a long term goal (and it is), but I was actually getting pretty good results working this way. I personally found however, that a GTG style worked even better for me than the straight sets. I suspect that you could increase the recovery periods to around 3-4 minutes and make it easier to progress (or try pairing the planche and front level progressions with 90-120 seconds between them).

Oh, and while Sommer suggested doing the progressions 4 times per week (mon,tues,thurs,fri) I might suggest trying 3 days per week when you first start.

Hope this helps.

Good training,

Sentoguy

I think i might be one of those lucky people that were born to be able to do these, although the frog-stand looks like the one i could do, not the tuck one.

I randomly popped planches as a kid and must of learnt how to do them just through sheer repetition. I used to walk around on my hands like that and freak out my little brothers.

You’ve inspired me to give them a whirl!

What i have always wanted to do was a Flag
http://www.beastskills.com/Flag.htm

I have successfully fallen on my arse many a time… Can anyone do these?

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=planche&search=Search

So far I’ve been following this for about 3 weeks now. Its really strengthened my shoulders/lats/triceps/biceps. The pseudo planche pushups hits a lot of muscle groups hard. I think im going to combine this with the static holds and make this the basic upper body workout for now.

Im wondering how other people did it also.

Right now its been 1-2 days rest 3x20 pseudo planche pushups maybe one or two sets of twenty throughout the day also