T Nation

Bodyweight Program

I am considering a bodyweight only program crammed full of pistols, lunges, pull/chin ups, dips, inveted rows, pushups, bridging, and swiss ball movements :stuck_out_tongue:

I was thinking that a 3day split with all movements performed each day only varied might be good.

basically im doing this cause i want to correct some imbalances and improve lumbar and knee stabilization.

i especially would like to improve the capacity of my back because i generally have a stronger chest and tri’s than back and bi’s (dont all young lifters?) although my deadlift is in good shape.

i want to be able to see more progression in my chin/pullup ability to match my dip ability so that i can start incorporating some EDT training.

any comments, criticism, advice or past experience would be greatly appreciated

thanks

On another board I visit this was brought up and the conclusion was that bodyweight stuff was great and even with regards to limit strength it can take you pretty far (think one armed push ups and one armed chins). But the main failing is the lack of a decent lower back workout.

If that is at all an issue for you, you might want to add one day where you work deads or good mornings etc.

If and when you do go into this routine I’d be interested to hear about you results.

I am trying to return to a base of bodyweight exercises as well, for similar reasons. I have very little cervical and only some lumbar stability left now after ongoing problems in both areas.

My own include various grip chins/pullups, dips, pushups, one arm pushups(rarely because they really put the strain on the spinal stabilizers for me) but I really want to get that back so I gotta keep working at them. inverted rows (I love these things. I never got anything from bb rows, just one armed db, but these are great), bulgarian lunges, and combinations of various slow/steady kicks with lunge variations.

I also do db and cable ext rotator work and (spine willing) cable variations of the jab and cross movements (both pushing and pulling) as I can’t do real striking anymore.

[quote]8Man-Jax wrote:

basically im doing this cause i want to correct some imbalances and improve lumbar and knee stabilization.

thanks[/quote]

This is probably the last thing I would think about when doing a bodyweight ONLY routine…

why is that the last thing you would do on bodyweight only?

tried my first workout today:

dynamic warmup - i dont have m2 yet so mine is pretty old school…high knees, buttkicks, lunges, some knee up jumps, legswings…

pistols with 5lbs in each hand - 10ea
8ea
6ea
split lunge (bulgarians) - 15ea
15ea
12ea
GHRs (ouch)- x10
x10
x8
widegrip pullup - x8
x6
x4 <-- upsetting
push up/inverted
row w/ swissball
superset - 20/12
20/12
16/10

prone bridge - 60 sec
bird dog - 30sec ea

all rest periods were 90-120s

this workout was pretty exhausting…not the most intense but a good burn. my legs definately felt it the most, and my hams felt like they were going to fall off.

[quote]8Man-Jax wrote:
why is that the last thing you would do on bodyweight only?

tried my first workout today:

dynamic warmup - i dont have m2 yet so mine is pretty old school…high knees, buttkicks, lunges, some knee up jumps, legswings…

pistols with 5lbs in each hand - 10ea
8ea
6ea
split lunge (bulgarians) - 15ea
15ea
12ea
GHRs (ouch)- x10
x10
x8
widegrip pullup - x8
x6
x4 <-- upsetting
push up/inverted
row w/ swissball
superset - 20/12
20/12
16/10

prone bridge - 60 sec
bird dog - 30sec ea

all rest periods were 90-120s

this workout was pretty exhausting…not the most intense but a good burn. my legs definately felt it the most, and my hams felt like they were going to fall off.
[/quote]

8man… your shit is weeeeeak

Shut the fuck up.

On another note, I recommend adding some iso holds for your pistols. I’ve been experimenting with them in different positions and different time lengths and my legs are fried afterwards.

I’m sorry I just have never seen the point in bodyweight only training. Given, pistols are a pretty good challenge but for me it’s more balancing in that position which is an awkward one. I don’t plan on being a ninja so I’ll stick to squats. Lunges with your body weight? How is that even remotely hard.

Also, when your arms/chest start getting stronger bodyweight dips and pullups are gonna be useless. You’ll have to do so many it’ll just be endurance. You can’t train completely with your body weight.

Handstand pushups and planches will put some hair on your chest, for sure.

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
Also, when your arms/chest start getting stronger bodyweight dips and pullups are gonna be useless. You’ll have to do so many it’ll just be endurance. You can’t train completely with your body weight.[/quote]

That’s when you change leverages or add weight (stfu). One-arm-one-leg pushups even elevated, one-arm chin progressions, planches, lever pullups, etc, etc.

[quote]steveb244 wrote:

8man… your shit is weeeeeak
[/quote]

I hope you guys are buddies otherwise that is a dickhead comment.

If you know each other please carry on with the insults.