T Nation

Bodyweight Only Training for Two Weeks

Typically I’m a dumb powerlifter doing dumb powerlifting things but I’m going to firefighting school for two weeks and while they do have time for physical activity during the day and expect you to do something, I’ve been informed that the hall has no weights or equipment. I thought of maybe doing something circuit style like push-ups, squats, pull-ups (if I can find something to hang from), and finish up with some sprints but I’m not entirely sure how to structure it.

Also this week I plan on going for broke by increasing volume and possibly try and hit a pr or two to take advantage of the per-longed deload

Honestly, you’ll retain strength just fine for two weeks. When I would go out on fire assignments for 14-21 days at a time, I simply aimed for a set number of push ups and sit ups in the morning (typically 100-200 of each) with no squats or lunges (we did a lot of hiking as we were wildland fire) but if you added bodyweight squats in, you’d be just fine.

1 push-up, 1 pull-up, 2 bodyweight squats, then 2 push-ups, 2 pull-ups, 4 squats, up to 10/10/20 and back down to 1, will give you 100 push-ups, 100 pull-ups, and 200 squats. If you can finish it then just do it for time. Combine that with sprints and you’re not gonna lose any muscle.

I wasn’t really concerned with losing any muscle or strength, they just expect us to do physical activity (an hour each morning) but don’t give us anything to work with. I could go out an half ass it but it’s not in my personality to not have structure or a goal for each workout.

I really like what you suggested so I think I’ll give that a go. Thanks man

You could also do Martin Rooney’s routine sets of 10 pushups with each set a different pushup variation until you hit 100 or 200 taking rest only when needed.

Surely they have loads of things to carry, drag, load and press there? Hoses, dummies, bits of machinery?

I’m sure there is and maybe after a couple days I could work something out with one of the instructors to let me use it during physical activity time but it’s only two weeks and I thought the bodyweight stuff would be a nice change of pace

Doth my eyes deceive me, or did a strongman just show up to suggest that somebody move heavy random shit from point A to point B?

My God demands that I spread the word whenever there is an opportunity.

You spelled Bill Kazmaier wrong.