Bodyweight Exercises

Need a little help. I have a buddy in Afghanistan for 10 months. They are setting up a new camp. No access to equipment. I want to send him an article on bodyweight exercises he can do over there.

I searched the articles for “bodyweight” and “body weight” but found no hits. Does anyone have a link to an article or a compendium of bodyweight exercises I can print and send? Or, does anyone have any ideas/descriptions I can send him?

Thanks in advance.

beastskills- This is a website with a ton of difficult bw ex. and progressions to help you build up to them.
FitnessAnywhere- this is the trx website, has a forumk and exercise section. The guy who created the TRX was a seal who supposedly put his first one together with a couple straps on base, so this should be pretty easy for your friend.
Crossfit- I know people will hate but I am sure that in their exercise section they will have a ton of suggested bw workouts.

Also, he’s in the desert, and I am assuming in the military. He can make a sandbag with a garbage bag and a duffel, and then hell be able to add some heavier resistance work in their as well.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch. The sandbags are a great idea. Didn’t think of that. I’ll throw some sturdy bags in the next box I send him.

I still think crossfit is for gays and women, but damn if they didn’t come up with some good bodyweight complexes. Tell the guys to give this a shot

In the desert, get a shovel and dig a hole, great freaking exercise

Burpees, pushup variations, planks, and pistols. If he can get something to do pullups on and a sandbag to toss around he should be set. I’ll see if I can get pics of my old LAV pullup bar rig, should work on a 7 ton too.

You’re a good friend, flightspeed.

[quote]flightspeed wrote:
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch. The sandbags are a great idea. Didn’t think of that. I’ll throw some sturdy bags in the next box I send him. [/quote]

Shipping the sand is probably expensive…

Good job taking care of your buddy. Nice to see.

[quote]Big Banana wrote:

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch. The sandbags are a great idea. Didn’t think of that. I’ll throw some sturdy bags in the next box I send him. [/quote]

Good job taking care of your buddy. Nice to see.[/quote]

wow

[quote]Big Banana wrote:

[/quote]

Holy shit, it was a joke.

You were joking??!?!! I wish I knew that before I paid $354.59 in postage to send the sandbags.

I kid.

Anyway, thanks to all of you. You’d do the same if you knew him. He’s a good guy.

Next question: How to get as many grams of protein to Afghanistan in a large, flatrate USPS box? I’ve already done protein bars, tuna packets, and almonds. Next is natty PB, quinoa, and beef jerky. Suggestions appreciated.

fightingirish
just curious as to why crossfit , in your mind, is for gays and women?

I kid.

Anyway, thanks to all of you. You’d do the same if you knew him. He’s a good guy.

Next question: How to get as many grams of protein to Afghanistan in a large, flatrate USPS box? I’ve already done protein bars, tuna packets, and almonds. Next is natty PB, quinoa, and beef jerky. Suggestions appreciated. [/quote]

I’m sure he appreciates the variety but as long as you’re just looking to get mass in a flat-rate box powder is probably your best option. All of the above are good as they won’t spoil for a long time either. Good work on tuna packets > cans.

Does he have a way of cooking the quinoa?

[quote]spk wrote:
fightingirish
just curious as to why crossfit , in your mind, is for gays and women?[/quote]

ah just use the search function. Been over this a million times.

fightingirish

i’ll pass on the search engine bull. i just hear a lot of times people badmouthing crossfit… then you find out they tried some of the crossfit workouts and couldnt do them at all.
not the olympic lift ones. just the normal ones…

spk - I hear this argument a lot, that if I can’t do someone’s workout that it must, somehow, have value.

Bull.

Doing crossfit makes you good at… (wait for it) doing crossfit. No one is denying that. The primary criticism of Crossfit is that it is a scattershot workout with no rhyme, reason, or system for which workouts are scheduled when. It is all breadth, no depth.

If you want to get stronger, a well programed strength workout will get you stronger than crossfit will.

If you want to get faster, a well programmed speed workout will get you faster than crossfit will.

If you want to get more flexible, have better endurance, etc…you get the idea.

Your average crossfitter will be stronger than your average endurance athlete, and have better endurance than your average strength athlete. But your average gymnast will crush your average crossfitter at their own game. So why not just do a gymnastics workout and get it over with?

Jack of all trades, master of none.

personally, i race bicycles at the national level… i do not do crossfit. i just hear lots of people at the gym badmouthing it.

[quote]spk wrote:
fightingirish
just curious as to why crossfit , in your mind, is for gays and women?[/quote]

It is all the dick sucking.