T Nation

Bodyweight Back Exercises?

I was just wondering if there are any bodyweight back exercises apart from pullups or inverted rows?

What’s wrong with pull ups? I use them quite frequently in my routines. Body weight and weighted.

I guess rope climbs would be good if you had the accessible amenities. Although grip strength could be an issue.

Probably, what do you feel you’re missing with these exercises?

They are amazing!The matter is I want to make a bodyweight only back workout.So I thought to have a number of choices

front levers
all forms of pullups and chinups
inverted rows
back bridges for the rear delts and erectors

Everything else is just a variation.

Why limit yourself to only bodyweight back movements? Granted you can build a big and strong back by doing a lot of pull up variations I just don’t see why you have to rule out any other form

Even if you wanted to make a bodyweight-only back workout - which seems silly - at your present level of development, I suspect you can get all you need from pull-ups, pull-ups, and more pull-ups. Ergo, here’s your bodyweight only back workout:

100 pull-ups

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
Even if you wanted to make a bodyweight-only back workout - which seems silly - at your present level of development, I suspect you can get all you need from pull-ups, pull-ups, and more pull-ups. Ergo, here’s your bodyweight only back workout:

100 pull-ups
[/quote]

I feel you should have some horizontal pulling in there for you rhomboids to help with posture so my suggestion is:

1. 50 pull-ups (or variations)
  2. 50 inverted rows (or variations)
  3. Spend 10 minutes working on progressions towards a new bodyweight exercise. Front levers are cool, and a nice skill to have.

I do agree with AG though, a bodyweight only back workout is probably not your best bet right now. I think you need to think about the “why” more. As in “why do I want to do only bodyweight exercises for my back”, “why do I feel I need more varied exercises in my program” etc. Imagine your lifting hero was going to come and ask you these questions at your next training session.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Why limit yourself to only bodyweight back movements? Granted you can build a big and strong back by doing a lot of pull up variations I just don’t see why you have to rule out any other form[/quote]

Calisthenics are hardly a limitation.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
front levers
all forms of pullups and chinups
inverted rows
back bridges for the rear delts and erectors

Everything else is just a variation.[/quote]

x2

There are tons of variations from simply a pronated grip pull up. Then there’s the supine grip, hook, unilateral, isometrics, etc etc

Thnx y’all!

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:
Why limit yourself to only bodyweight back movements? Granted you can build a big and strong back by doing a lot of pull up variations I just don’t see why you have to rule out any other form[/quote]

Calisthenics are hardly a limitation. [/quote]

Yes but it just begs the question of why limit to only one style of training

If I was going to a bodyweight-only back workout, I would do nothing but pull ups. And actually, many of my back workouts are just that. I do pull ups waaaaay more often rows. I know there are several other guys like csulli, bcpowder, and ecchastang who also rely heavily on pull ups. I honestly don’t know why you’d even throw in inverted rows. If you do 50-100 pullups every day, you will build a strong back. Pull ups are arguably the best bang for your buck exercise for the entire back, with their only competition being bb or db rows.

Is limited access to good equipment the issue?

If so, I would still invest in a resistance band or two so you can do pullaparts to hit the rear delts and give the rhomboids/mid/low traps some extra work. Also do hypers/reverse hypers if you can find a way with no bench