T Nation

Bodyweight Assistance Testimonal

Hello, just want to share some experience with you guys…
I’ve recently started studying some Louie Simmons articles on GPP, Repetition Method and his philosphy on training for Fighting. It all made sense to me and around the same time I came across an Q&A from Jim where he recomend this bodyweight assistence routine to be done daily by a begginer:

Dips â?? 100 total reps
Chin/Pull-ups â?? 50 total reps
Back Raises â?? 100 reps
Prowler â?? 12 x 40 yards

I’m actually not a begginer but since I think it fits Louies philosophy on building the “base” and I love bodyweight training I did this exactly same routine daily to prepare for my last BJJ competition (I did no heavy lifting, just the above routine daily and BJJ training/sparring).
I was the strongest I ever was in the mats and hit double and single leg takedowns like it was nothing…

Great tip Jim, thanks!

[quote]Braccini wrote:
Hello, just want to share some experience with you guys…
I’ve recently started studying some Louie Simmons articles on GPP, Repetition Method and his philosphy on training for Fighting. It all made sense to me and around the same time I came across an Q&A from Jim where he recomend this bodyweight assistence routine to be done daily by a begginer:

Dips â?? 100 total reps
Chin/Pull-ups â?? 50 total reps
Back Raises â?? 100 reps
Prowler â?? 12 x 40 yards

I’m actually not a begginer but since I think it fits Louies philosophy on building the “base” and I love bodyweight training I did this exactly same routine daily to prepare for my last BJJ competition (I did no heavy lifting, just the above routine daily and BJJ training/sparring).
I was the strongest I ever was in the mats and hit double and single leg takedowns like it was nothing…

Great tip Jim, thanks!
[/quote]

This is pretty damn interesting - thanks for sharing! And congratulations on the success.

Hi Jim
Would you do. This routine as im inseason for rugby train twice a week and play on a sat
As I strength train the main lifts three times a week

that a good workout, did something similar for judo, but only after actual judo workout. i once did 150 dips/100 pullups for 3 months straight, and it was great in terms of conditioning strenth but its not so good for elbows ( some teammates even said their shoulders hurt on this)

[quote]openside wrote:
Hi Jim
Would you do. This routine as im inseason for rugby train twice a week and play on a sat
As I strength train the main lifts three times a week [/quote]

I would do the in-season 5/3/1 program that I’ve outlined. It’s perfect for rugby.

As far as lifting with the in-season program you obviously aren’t lifting to get smaller. With that said is there a point you would stop lifting to get stronger and thus bigger(for speed and endurance reasons for some sports)Or how do you handle that? Hopefully that isnt a dumb question

Hi Jim

Would you do any conditioning like tempo runs in season as for lifting would you stay at 80% or can you go over that

[quote]casperthegst wrote:
As far as lifting with the in-season program you obviously aren’t lifting to get smaller. With that said is there a point you would stop lifting to get stronger and thus bigger(for speed and endurance reasons for some sports)Or how do you handle that? Hopefully that isnt a dumb question[/quote]

I think you are confusing shitty PL/BB ideas with training like an athlete. You ONLY train for sports to get better at the sport, not to get bigger or to bench press more.

[quote]openside wrote:
Hi Jim

Would you do any conditioning like tempo runs in season as for lifting would you stay at 80% or can you go over that[/quote]

No - unless you are part of the new regime of sport coaches that don’t run their athletes.