Bodyweight and Rings Training Thread

Thanks, that was my idea too, something like that. But I can’t do full pistol squat yet(on right side I am almost there, on left not really haha) so I have yet to come up with the hardest part of the drop set. I would like to avoid jumps or any explosive movement due to previous low back injury.
Thanks again for your proposition, especially as it is based on real experience. Much appreciated.

To build legs with lights weights you could try pauses and slow eccentrics.

I did goblet squats for sets of 6. First rep,6 count eccentric, 2nd rep 5 count eccentric, 3rd rep 4 count eccentric… Thibadeau calls these “eccentric contrast” reps.

Or goblet squat x 6. First rep, 6 count pause in hole, 2nd rep 5 count pause in the hole. These are “isometric contrast” reps.

The pauses and slow eccentrics can be kind of dumb, but they can really help you keep the tension on your legs vs doing a million light reps and just getting out of breath.

Bulgarian split squats are tough too. If you don’t have much weight to use you can lower slowly or pause down at the bottom too.

I agree with the other guys that lunges and step ups are good for after the “harder” stuff

Thank you! This is pretty much how I train when I can’t go to gym, which is almost a year.

1 Like

I’m training in the garden so with limited equipment. My go-to move is Bulgarian split squats too. If you play around with tempos then you don’t need much weight to absolutely destroy your legs. Right now when I do legs I’m starting all sets with a 60 second eccentric which is truly horrific. Another tip is to stop about an inch short of lock-out at the top of each rep; this really ups the tension.

1 Like

I’m getting some rings myself soon. I’ve already been working pike push ups, different kinds of chins, and challenging (for me) push up variations along with regressions of skater squats, bent knee back extensions using a BB to anchor my ankles, and sissy squats and reverse nordics. This in addition to some big compound BB and lighter DB isolation work.

Can anyone comment on the utility of rings for lower body exercises? I’ve seen some vids of people doing lunges with one leg suspended in the ring and assisted pistol squats and skater squats

1 Like

I’ve only seen assisted skater squats and assisted pistol squats. You’re better off doing other challenging weighted leg exercises, some which are considered weighted calisthenics.

I’m up to 5 clean weight-counter pistols. Hopefully I’ll be at plain-old pistons soon.

1 Like

Don’t bother mate - rings are simply not designed for lower body training. You’d never see a gymnast using rings to train legs!

2 Likes

I am a big rings fan, and have to agree they have no place in serious lower body training.

When I used them as my main training option instead of barbells and weights, I would use pistol squats and hill sprints for lower body to compliment upper body and core work done on rings.

1 Like

I’m definitely gonna stick with front squats and Oly variations for low body for now. I can’t not love squats :slight_smile: But almost all my assistance/accessory is bw for legs now.

Are rings and straps for the rings something I can go cheap on? Is there any reason to shell out a small fortune on like TRX straps or anything? I see lots of options under 50, even under 30 and I’m on a budget.

Firstly you need to get gymnastic rings, not a suspension trainer like TRX; rings are infinitely superior. IMO when it comes to the rings, as long as they’re wooden (don’t buy plastic ones) just get a cheap pair as long as the reviews are decent. The main decision to make with wooden rings is the thickness as you’ve got 2 main options here - 1.1" (28mm) or 1.25 (32mm). The former are known as ‘FIG-spec’ as this is what proper gymnasts use; the latter are what you typically find in Crossfit gyms. I’ve gotten used to FIG rings, but some folks say thicker ones are better; I think you’ll just get used to whatever you use so it doesn’t really matter.

1 Like

I bet the thicker ones will be easier on the joints like fat grips. Thx, that helps a lot!

I got mine from Rogue. They’re not expensive.

This^^. Do not confuse TRX and suspension training systems with gymnastic rings. These are very different things. Ring pull ups, ring muscle ups, L-sits, ring dips, ring push ups, hanging leg raises, inverted ring shrugs, and many other exercises can only be done on gymnast rings. Suspension training is maybe 10% as difficult, and cannot even replicate these exercises.

I went with Rogue. They have lasted me over 10 years and are still in great shape. I have them mounted to my garage ceiling. Here’s an affordable option:

roguefitness .com/rogue-echo-rings

2 Likes

When I first tried ring dips I thought, “Eh, they’re just a little harder than dips on Blast Straps.” I found out the difference from the start of my first rep.

The more I progress, I see just how demanding advances calisthenics are. I made some progress in form and time last night on L-sit-to-tuck-planche last night. As a previous observer I thought “eh, once you get the hang of these, no biggie.” Yeah sure, lol.

I don’t plan on going back to conventional
Weights aside from weighted calisthenics for upper and lower body anytime soon. This is too much fun after decades of bodybuilding training.

4 Likes

Have you ever tried swimming?

Imagine swimming while listening to music. Apparently this is possible, but one needs to invest in underwater earphones.

Calisthenics are fun, but I’ve found the potential for overuse injury tends to be quite high… For me at least

It’s easy to get overzealous, pop on the rings whenever you see them and before you know it BAM

Costochondritis, subacromial bursitis aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If I may ask, have you noticed any apparent alterations regarding overall body composition? What kind of diet do you follow when training calisthenics as opposed to traditional weight training?

You’ll probably find weighted dips and ring training carry over into the weight room… For upper body at least. I’ve had my bench go up without benching from ring training.

Yes, I took swimming lessons for years as a kid and was on a local community center swim team. Unfortunately my high school didn’t have a team.

I will swim this summer for cardio, along with jogging.

I don’t have the mass I once did but that’s mostly because training over much the past year was lame and inconsistent. But now I’m consistent again. I likely will not have the leg mass I once did but I don’t care nor do I want it. So long as I’m lean, lift consistently, can comfortably run for 40 minutes.

I eat well 95% of the time or more, three meals and two mini-meals/snacks. No macro or calorie counting.

The days of counting nutrients and kcals and fussing over bodyparts are done. No one cares anyway so long as I have a decent appearance. When I go to the gym now, I go in, I’m mostly aloof to who’s there, I work out, and leave. In short, I’m done with the bodybuilding hobby and all that was around it.

I’ve been procrastinating on getting garage equipment but recently I cleared and cleaned it up so I can order some stuff. The gym I go to has an upper level that is a bodyweight goldmine. Has stall bars, kettlebells, rings, plyo boxes, climbing rope, etc.

4 Likes

Are kettlebells considered bodyweight? I don’t think kettlebell push press/OHP, goblet squats and swings count as calisthenics.

I’m envious, this is super fun. Do you go rock climbing? If you have the conditioning and aren’t at risk for serious injury it can be very enjoyable

From a practical standpoint I’d argue aerobic conditioning has quite a bit of carryover towards real world activities. As does strength training to an extent, though from what I’ve been able to anecdotally percieve said carryover tends to relate to short bursts/feats of strength (carrying furniture, farm work etc).

What I like about swimming is it can be done both as cardio and as a flat out workout if implemented correctly. Swimming by no means triumphs lifting weights/calisthenics, though high intensity, short bursts (i.e 50-100 metre intervals) are a hell of a good workout. You can also swim with a pull buoy/drag suit to add extra resistance.

Have some members from my family who were competitive swimmers (professional). They didn’t lift weights regularly, nor did they have particularly amazing genetics; just swimming and amazing work ethic. They looked better than 99.9% of the general population. Not huge per se, but lean, broad and muscular. The kind of body that most would consider “ideal”.

1 Like

Light ones can be used to load some lower body single leg exercises or use as counter weight pistols and skater squats and single leg deads.

I like the idea of using these to adjust Sissy squats to volume and intensity you want and getting full ROM if you can’t w/ the regular version.

1 Like

RIP knees in response to pistol squats

Same goes for distance running. Something to think about, don’t want chronic discomfort ten years down the line