T Nation

Bodyfat Increase!?!?!

Hi guys

I’m new here.i am 5 ft 2" tall. I joined the gym a year and a half ago. When I joined I was 15.5 stone.
My waste was 42". My waste is now 28". My weight for the last couple of months has been
Between 9-9.5 stone. I lift weights 6 days a week doing a 3 day split so I hit each muscle group twice a week.
I do 3 days of HIIT on treadmill for 30 mins and 2 days of moderate intensity for 1 hour. For the past year and a half my
Weight has been going down, but for the past few weeks whenever I weigh myself, my weight seems to be going up.
Last week I was 9.3 stone. Today I’m 9.7 stone!!!
Also, 6 months ago my bodyfat % was 21%… A few weeks later it was 16, a few weeks after that it went UP to 18% and now
It’s back up to 21%!!!

I don’t understand how it went up!!! I am soooo dedicated. I always do my workouts and cardio sessions as scheduled.
I haven’t increased my calorie intake. I work nights, so I get up at 2pm. I have a bowl of cranberry wheats cereal. For dinner ill have
2 chicken breast fillets or 2 fish fillets with peas or beans. Sometimes I’ll have 3 or 4 scoops of mashed potato. Then around 10, before
I go to work ill have another bowl of cereal. I eat this way every day except for a Sunday when I have a chest meal of fries and a burger.

I’ve lost weight doing all this for months so why has my bodyfat % gone up. I don’t mind the weight increase. That could be because
I’m building muscle. But why has my bodyfat % increased???
I have worked sooo hard to lose the weight I have. Do you think I’m not doi g enough cardio or maybe too much?? Am I eating too little or too much?

Please help me !!

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

I don’t understand how you could have a waist of 28" and weigh about 60kg (132lbs)but have 21%bf. Even at 5’2" it doesn’t make any sense.

How are you determining what your bf% is? Body fat level shouldn’t jump around like that from week to week.

[quote]paulmartin1983 wrote:

Also, 6 months ago my bodyfat % was 21%… A few weeks later it was 16, a few weeks after that it went UP to 18% and now
[/quote]
The very unlikely 5% bodyfat drop in a few weeks would indicate your bodyfat measurements are incorrect.
Also, most of the world has no clue what a stone is which makes it real hard to understand your weight.

Weight fluctuates, can you send us pictures of yourself? Do you have visible abs? You should be very lean.

Abs are kinda visible. I can see the basic outline and line down the middle. …14 Ibs is a stone.

The way I determine by bf level is by using a digital bf reader at my gym. The instructors at the gym even said I shouldn’t go by that.
But I’m just worried just in case I am putting on fat.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Weight fluctuates, can you send us pictures of yourself? Do you have visible abs? You should be very lean. [/quote]

Honestly, the 15%-20%+ bodyfat range sounds about right to me for a 28" waist on a guy who is 5’2".

Obviously all things are individual but I’m 5’2" as well and I’m easily in the 15%-20% bodyfat range with a 28"-29" waist depending on the day. My abs are visible when I flex them but not super visible otherwise. I’ll probably need a 26" waist to have a shredded mid-section. Heck, maybe even smaller. It sounds ridiculous but it’s true. 5’2" is really tiny.

Also, with us shorter guys bodyfat percentages can change quickly too… 1lb of fat gain on a tiny guy is a much greater percent increase than if it were on a guy who is 5’10"… simply because we usually weigh a whole lot less.

It is just as easy to put it on though!

I guess it really sucks to be short then.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
I guess it really sucks to be short then. [/quote]

No