Bodyfat % and Sprint Times?

im new to sprinting, 5’10, stocky build and currently weigh 96kg, around 15% bodyfat, just wondering what peoples views are on the extent of the effect of bodyfat fat on sprinting speed. And also what the optimal bodyfat percentage for sprinting may be.cheers

It definitely has an effect and the optimal level is the one at which you run the fastest. :slight_smile: Most elite sprinters are carrying a very high level of LBM and hover around 5-6% BF. 5% being the very low side of course.

cheers mate, im just wondering as theres alot of things i can improve technique wize, but obviously the foundation would be my own body condition

Work on your “kitchen technique” to shed some bodyfat and just about everything about your sprinting/running technique will also improve.

Also check out Erick Minor and Lee Boyce’s sprinting articles on this site, plenty of useful technique info there.

Im a college 400m and 200m sprinter. Sprinting does wonders to shed weight and we normally run around 5- 8 body fat %

[quote]Jakk66 wrote:
Im a college 400m and 200m sprinter. Sprinting does wonders to shed weight and we normally run around 5- 8 body fat %[/quote]

Just curious, how many months out of the year you guys maintain that bf %?

Dear Mr. Fattykins

When you are fat:

Instead of concentrating on your sprint mechanics and being ELITE you are feeling your fat jelly belly and milky man cleavage jostling around on you.

Science.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]Jakk66 wrote:
Im a college 400m and 200m sprinter. Sprinting does wonders to shed weight and we normally run around 5- 8 body fat %[/quote]

Just curious, how many months out of the year you guys maintain that bf %?[/quote]

Most maintain it year round, I have a few friends who only specialize in the 100m and gain to about 12-13% in the off season ( July - November). But those are very short distance sprinters and carry much more muscle.
because I do distance running in the offseason I stay around 5-8%.

[quote]Jakk66 wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]Jakk66 wrote:

Just curious, how many months out of the year you guys maintain that bf %?[/quote]

Most maintain it year round, I have a few friends who only specialize in the 100m and gain to about 12-13% in the off season ( July - November). But those are very short distance sprinters and carry much more muscle.
because I do distance running in the offseason I stay around 5-8%. [/quote]

thats fucking badass.

[quote]bignate wrote:

[quote]Jakk66 wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]Jakk66 wrote:

because I do distance running in the offseason I stay around 5-8%. [/quote]

thats fucking badass. [/quote]

I agree. That is reasonably fucking badass.