T Nation

Bodyfat % and Gear

Was wondering why so many people believe that your body fat should be at a certain percentage before using steroids. Why is this? I am looking for a medical/scientific reason, not just because experienced users think things should be a certain way. I think it has something to do with fat and estrogen buildup/production.

Thanks in advance
JC

[quote]jc1153 wrote:
Was wondering why so many people believe that your body fat should be at a certain percentage before using steroids. Why is this? I am looking for a medical/scientific reason, not just because experienced users think things should be a certain way. I think it has something to do with fat and estrogen buildup/production.

Thanks in advance
JC[/quote]

First, it would be wise to state your goals. If your goal is to put on muscle, you’re going to have to eat big; which will cause some fat gain. If your’re allready fat, you can see why this could be a problem. If your goal is to lose fat, then lose what you can BEFORE you run your cycle. I’m not saying drop to 6% before you cycle, because you would likley lose muscle in the process. Get your body comp to something reasonable, like 12%, which should be easy to do IF you know how to eat. Good luck!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

have we totally given up on the idea that if you take roids, and eat to maintain, you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. you guys have heard of recomp. right? Ive known tons of guys doing roids, that were “fat”, they started, after awhile, they would get both leaner and bigger. While steroids aren’t a fat burner and don’t necessarily burn fat, they do build muscle which in turn will burn more fat.

Guys here seem to be stuck in the stone age. yes, you can gain muscle and lose fat, especially if your juicin.

[quote]roguevampire wrote:
have we totally given up on the idea that if you take roids, and eat to maintain, you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. you guys have heard of recomp. right? Ive known tons of guys doing roids, that were “fat”, they started, after awhile, they would get both leaner and bigger. While steroids aren’t a fat burner and don’t necessarily burn fat, they do build muscle which in turn will burn more fat.

Guys here seem to be stuck in the stone age. yes, you can gain muscle and lose fat, especially if your juicin.[/quote]

Another post for you’re greatest hits thread.

BBB stuck in the stone age, makes perfect sense, especially in light of the fact that all you do is harp on about the ‘old days’ of dating.

“yes, you can build muscle and burn fat, especially if your juicin”, how much do we owe you for that pearl of wisdom?

[quote]buddaboy wrote:

[quote]roguevampire wrote:
have we totally given up on the idea that if you take roids, and eat to maintain, you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. you guys have heard of recomp. right? Ive known tons of guys doing roids, that were “fat”, they started, after awhile, they would get both leaner and bigger. While steroids aren’t a fat burner and don’t necessarily burn fat, they do build muscle which in turn will burn more fat.

Guys here seem to be stuck in the stone age. yes, you can gain muscle and lose fat, especially if your juicin.[/quote]

Another post for you’re greatest hits thread.

BBB stuck in the stone age, makes perfect sense, especially in light of the fact that all you do is harp on about the ‘old days’ of dating.

“yes, you can build muscle and burn fat, especially if your juicin”, how much do we owe you for that pearl of wisdom? [/quote]

Your telling me, you’ve never known anyone to get both bigger and leaner at the same time?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Thanks for the replies. Well a little back ground info. I am 30yo and have been weight training since I was about 17. I have always had an extremely high metabolism and was definitely a “Hard Gainer” through college I worked out 5 days a week and ate everything in sight and still put on the mass slowly. Lucky for me my BF% was really low. Had a good body composition and was rounded out pretty nicely. IMO. Well when I was about 25 I went through some tough times, and was put on some anti-depressants/anti-anxiety. Within a year I had put on a bunch of fat. Not a ton, about 20lbs of fat. Not much, but since I had never really had any fat on me, I was shocked. My diet hadn’t changed, and although at this time I wasn’t working out 5 days a week I was still working out 3 days and had an active lifestyle. The Doctor said it was more than likely a side effect of the medication. After doing some research i found that some of the side effects of the medication was that fat cell accumulation could change places on your body and even create new fat cells.

Anyway, I have been off of the medication for a few years now. Now It’s like I was before the medication, except I now have more fat around my abdomen. It seems like I can eat as crappy as I want and I won’t gain anymore fat, but at the same time, it seems like no matter how hard I diet and exercise, I just can’t seem to get beck to the well defined look I used to be.

Don’t have an exact question this time, but any guidance would help. I have been looking to get bigger, and am considering my first cycle. After doing tons of research I am gonna keep it simple and it will look like this:

Weeks 1-12: 500mg/W of Test E
Weeks 2-14: .25mg Adex EOD
Week 14: Clomid 100mg/day
Weeks 15-17: Clomid 25mg/day

I am not looking to add a ton of weight but to get back to that “Beach Body”

I am sure you guys will have tons of comments, so Fire away!

Damnit rouge stay out of the couple of sections that dont need your BS like this one

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]jc1153 wrote:
Was wondering why so many people believe that your body fat should be at a certain percentage before using steroids. Why is this? I am looking for a medical/scientific reason, not just because experienced users think things should be a certain way. I think it has something to do with fat and estrogen buildup/production.

Thanks in advance
JC[/quote]

Aromatisation of testosterone into estrogen occurs within adipose tissue. So the more fat you have, the mre potential you have for elevated estrogen per dosage unit of testosterone.

Medical enough for you?

:wink:

BBB[/quote]

There is also evidence that being fatter reduces the blood levels you get from a given dose of gear.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Haha, I can totally see someone replying with “Ah thanks man, you know, I have been hitting the gym pretty hard recently”

On a more serious note, I think that the use of the word fat as an adjective is partly to blame for the misconceptions of fatloss. Alot of people have the thought process of “I am fat because I eat fats”

[quote]BoSlice wrote:
Alot of people have the thought process of “I am fat because I eat fats”[/quote]

That’s just borne out of decades of government propaganda based on one flimsy and scientifically immoral study performed in the 60’s…

dont the negative effects in terms of blood pressure, cholesterol, etc become more pronounced when body fat is higher?