Bodybuilding With ONLY Calisthenics

[quote]Xeneize wrote:
Back when Herschel Walker was in college, SI did a story on him where he claimed to only do bodyweight exercises, various types of pushups, etc.

Of course, now he says he has multiple personalities so maybe one of them was actually hitting the weight room behind his back.[/quote]

That is hilarious.

you should check out serge nubret’s routine sometime,

Serge focused on light weights for high sets/reps, he managed failure on each set even though the weight he was using was very light due to squeezing his muscles so hard throughout the movement.

He has also put loads of guys on this program and they have had excellent gains. If you read through the thread page 0 - 300 you will see a few guys starting off quite scrawny then looking amazing while following that program and posting on that thread.

[quote]Xeneize wrote:
Back when Herschel Walker was in college, SI did a story on him where he claimed to only do bodyweight exercises, various types of pushups, etc.

Of course, now he says he has multiple personalities so maybe one of them was actually hitting the weight room behind his back.[/quote]

HAHAHAHA…That is BRILLIANT!!!

Why do people compare gymnastics to bodyweight exercises?

A pushup is not the same thing as being able to pull yourself upside down on the rings, or fly around a pummelhorse. Gymnasts lift weights too guys.

Does anyone think doing 800 pushups a day might have some kinda ill effect on your joints over time?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Does anyone think doing 800 pushups a day might have some kinda ill effect on your joints over time?[/quote]

Like make them stronger just like other weight bearing exercises do?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
Does anyone think doing 800 pushups a day might have some kinda ill effect on your joints over time?

Like make them stronger just like other weight bearing exercises do?[/quote]

LOL

wow, why dont pros post on this site?

IMO Bodyweight exercises are not bad. Weights are not bad either. If your not doing pull ups in your routine you most likely have a weak back.

Some people may be able to have a muscular physique with bodyweight exercises only, and genetics plays a role in this too. But I guarantee you every bodybuilder usues more weights than bodyweight exercises. I personally use weighted pullups and on occasion have some pretty girl sit on my back during donkey calf raises (got it from arnold lol). The occasional set of pushups come in too but I rely mostly on weighted exercises.

I’m not being arrogant or cocky but very few bodyweight exercises actually do something for me. To get anything out of just bodyweight I’d have to do like 25 pullups, 100 pushups, etc. I do like wall-sits for a few mins at a time after leg day.

Your average gymnast does a bunch of stuff that normal people can’t even do. Anybody ever hang on those loop things let alone try the stuff they do? lol I’d like to know but I bet they incorporate some kind of weights in their workouts too.

Gerdy

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Gymnasts lift weights too guys.[/quote]

Dang I was going to say that! Why do people always assume they never lift weights and just practice their routine?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Why do people compare gymnastics to bodyweight exercises?

A pushup is not the same thing as being able to pull yourself upside down on the rings, or fly around a pummelhorse. Gymnasts lift weights too guys.[/quote]

It’s very true that only Push Up’s and Pull Up’s dont quite whack it but Calisthenics Exercises are good and have there own benifits, Don’t knock it.

Gymnasts are probarly stronger than powerlifters or infact maybe are the Strongest Athletes, They can’t be compared to just Calisthenics. There is more to everything than just Strengh,

Hey you can Squat 180kg, Press 150kg, Deadlift 220kg…But Could you hold yourself in a T position on rings? or do Hollowback Presses?

Hollowback Presses

Not all of them Lift Weights, As most Train spefic and just do Conditioning.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
on occasion have some pretty girl sit on my back during donkey calf raises (got it from arnold lol).
Gerdy[/quote]

thats a good idea, I am going to try to apply that to bench dips.