Bodybuilding: What's It About?

I don’t get it. I saw a post in one T-Nation forum or another, very excited about some new guy winning “Mr. O”.

Bodybuilding, as a “sport” has always been lost on me. I don’t get it. I understand the desire to build a better body, etc. I get that. What I don’t get is a bunch of tanned, oiled up guys on stage flexing themselves.

What I REALLY don’t get is the breathless responses you get from some guys. Men. Dudes. I just do NOT get it.

I see a big lift and I say, ‘Wow. Nice lift! I respect that!’ I can analyze that and talk training, what it took to make it happen, etc.

I can’t do that with bodybuilders. And I don’t understand at all. I see posts, “Look at the shape this guy has!”

Huh?

Someone fill me in!

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:

Someone fill me in![/quote]

Why? What a ridiculous thread you just started. If you actually cared about bodybuilding or finding anything out about it, you would look for info on it. You clearly don’t care and are trying to use this as an opportunity to degrade bodybuilding as a whole. So why does anyone need to fill you in on bodybuilding when your opinion is set?

You are full of shit, Hack. Each post just confirms it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Someone fill me in!

Why? What a ridiculous thread you just started. If you actually cared about bodybuilding or finding anything out about it, you would look for info on it. You clearly don’t care and are trying to use this as an opportunity to degrade bodybuilding as a whole. So why does anyone need to fill you in on bodybuilding when your opinion is set?

You are full of shit, Hack. Each post just confirms it.[/quote]

I agree with Professor X.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Someone fill me in!

I agree with Professor X. [/quote]

I’m writing this on my calendar.

I don’t get it. I saw a post in one T-Nation forum or another, very excited about some new guy winning “Mr. O”.

Bodybuilding, as a “sport” has always been lost on me. I don’t get it. I understand the desire to build a better body, etc. I get that. What I don’t get is a bunch of tanned, oiled up guys on stage flexing themselves.

What I REALLY don’t get is the breathless responses you get from some guys. Men. Dudes. I just do NOT get it.

I see a big lift and I say, ‘Wow. Nice lift! I respect that!’ I can analyze that and talk training, what it took to make it happen, etc.

I can’t do that with bodybuilders. And I don’t understand at all. I see posts, “Look at the shape this guy has!”

Huh?

Someone fill me in![/quote]

OK, here’s the info:

You are a relentless douchebag, intent on annoying everyone around you and filling whatever space you occupy with as much complete and total horseshit as the laws of physics allow.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
oboffill wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Someone fill me in!

I agree with Professor X.

I’m writing this on my calendar.
[/quote]

Yea, it’s uncanny. It’s like 5-10 posts in a row that I agree with Dr. X. It all started with that ‘truth about bulking’ article.

Well if you understand the desire to build a better body, why don’t you understand bodybuilding? The guys on stage show off their built bodies, and being tanned, oiled up and flexing their muscles helps accomplish that goal and helps judgies decide who has the best build…

Oh, yeah, and yo are an idiot, by the way, for starting this thread.

[/quote]

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Huh?

Someone fill me in!

OK, here’s the info:

You are a relentless douchebag, intent on annoying everyone around you and filling whatever space you occupy with as much complete and total horseshit as the laws of physics allow.

[/quote]

Impressive. Did you come up with that on your own? I am definately going to write it down.

I think some people can’t get over their own homoerotic fantasies so they automatically assume that looking at another man’s physique makes you gay

I think sometimes people who aren’t “into” bodybuilding don’t get it because they don’t understand it, and people naturally criticize what they don’t understand.

It’s like comparing snowboarding halfpipe to downhill skiing. Anybody can just look at the times for the downhill skiing race and see who won. It takes a little understanding of the sport to know who had the better halfpipe run though.

This is a bodybuilding website. Yes powerlifters, MMA, endurance athletes etc also come here. BUT it is DEFINATLY as says the title “BODYBUILDING’S THINK-TANK”. The people on this website LIKE bodybuilding, if you don’t care for it, and are just into lifts and analyzing them, THEN STICK WITH THAT.

Everyone’s going to like something different, I like bodybuilding, I also like powerlifting. I don’t like marathon runs. Am I going to ask why would someone want to do that blah blah blah. No, because it is in their own interest and if they enjoy it and it fulfills them, then that’s great and they should keep it up.

So PLEASE just keep comments like this to yourself, and if you don’t know much about it, and want someone to “fill you in” then go educate yourself and you will learn more so by doing that. Okay…okay great.

“I see a big lift and I say, ‘Wow. Nice lift! I respect that!’ I can analyze that and talk training, what it took to make it happen, etc.”

Okay, and you can’t respect a guy who has gained A LOT of muscle mass, and has put himself through god knows what in dieting and training to get where he is, to be in prime condition, for just ONE day. Trains, day and night, diets all year, just for ONE day to be on stage and show the world what he has accomplished of himself.

All that agony to express himself as an individual for one day. To find truth in himself if he can make it to the top. You can’t respect that? Can’t respect everything a TRUE bodybuilder does. You sir, are very lost if you cannot. I don’t even compete, and bodybuilding isn’t my main “thing” but I can definatly respect what they do.

You say “what it took to make it happen” haha. Ask a professional bodybuilder what it took for him to “make that happen” cause it DAMN SURE did not happen overnight. You are highly mistakened with your post, just think about it a bit more and maybe you’ll understand.

Hank may or may not be a douche bag but anyone who wants to look like Ronnie Coleman has serious issues, in my worthless opinion. Working out to look good and be healthy? Absolutely! Wanting to look like an overstuffed vascular sausage? Uh oh. Psych issues galore!

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
Hank may or may not be a douche bag but anyone who wants to look like Ronnie Coleman has serious issues, in my worthless opinion. Working out to look good and be healthy? Absolutely! Wanting to look like an overstuffed vascular sausage? Uh oh. Psych issues galore![/quote]

There are people who think the same of anyone over 180lbs with any muscle at all. Just like them, I think more people need to keep opinions to themselves.

I have no doubt there are some people who might think that I am too big at my current weight. Does that mean I have mental issues because of it? I may be crazy, but it isn’t because I wanted big muscles and to be stronger than most people.

The same link you just made between bodybuilding at the professional level and some psychosis is the exact same thing the media is doing to ANYONE who lifts weights seriously. The term used is ‘muscle dysmorphia’ even though I doubt everyone or even most people over 220lbs of mostly muscle have some mental problem where they think they are small.

I agree that at the pro level, some changes need to be made. However, linking that to mental illness is a mistake that risks sucking ANYONE involved in muscular development down with it.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Huh?

Someone fill me in!

We like bodybuilding for a similar reason that you like being a retard; we are both minority groups who give 100% to our chosen hobbies.
[/quote]

Haha, that was nice.

D

Here’s an idea . . . visit this site to occupy your time: www.menshealth.com

[quote]dl- wrote:
“I see a big lift and I say, ‘Wow. Nice lift! I respect that!’ I can analyze that and talk training, what it took to make it happen, etc.”

Okay, and you can’t respect a guy who has gained A LOT of muscle mass, and has put himself through god knows what in dieting and training to get where he is, to be in prime condition, for just ONE day. Trains, day and night, diets all year, just for ONE day to be on stage and show the world what he has accomplished of himself.

All that agony to express himself as an individual for one day. To find truth in himself if he can make it to the top. You can’t respect that? Can’t respect everything a TRUE bodybuilder does. You sir, are very lost if you cannot. I don’t even compete, and bodybuilding isn’t my main “thing” but I can definatly respect what they do.

You say “what it took to make it happen” haha. Ask a professional bodybuilder what it took for him to “make that happen” cause it DAMN SURE did not happen overnight. You are highly mistakened with your post, just think about it a bit more and maybe you’ll understand.
[/quote]

No.

Thanks, “Professor” X. I think this is a good example of the bodybuilding phsychosis. “I wanted big muscles and to be STRONGER THAN MOST PEOPLE.” You are measuring yourself according to how you compare with other people. Not according to your own performance.

You want to be big. Why? So you stand out in a crowd? So you can have a certain image? So you look good in certain clothes? What’s that say about you? I’d say it says about the same thing that it says about most ‘bodybuilders’. You’re insecure and you look for validation in how OTHERS perceive you, not in your own honest perception of yourself.

I measure me against myself. I want to be stronger than I used to be. I want to improve my own performance in the competitive lifts. As a result I get bigger and stronger. But it’s not the driving goal. I don’t strut around in my little brother’s tee-shirt and pose for idiotic pictures to post, asking others, ‘How do I look? Are you impressed?’

Being a ‘Professor’, you might understand that one does not study and strive to improve their mind in order for others to see how smart they are. Some do, I think. And they stand out as the kind of asshole you seem to be, without the smart thing going for you, of course.

Oh. And to the moron who asked why some people think bodybuilding is gay, I can only say: Are you joking? Men checking out other men who are near naked, oiled up? Then talking amongst themselves about how great these guys look? Are you joking?

Ever been to the Arnold Classic? I’ve lifted there a few times. Go out on the Expo floor. That’s about as gay a place as you will ever see. The slutty women are lost on most guys 'cause they are too busy checking out each other.

dl- wrote:

No. [/quote]

Hack, you must be some god powerlifter/strongman to make such claims.

If not, please step off.

BBers have to endure a ton of pain to get to the final product.

Professor X wrote:

I have no doubt there are some people who might think that I am too big at my current weight. Does that mean I have mental issues because of it? I may be crazy, but it isn’t because I wanted big muscles and to be stronger than most people.

Thanks, “Professor” X. I think this is a good example of the bodybuilding phsychosis. “I wanted big muscles and to be STRONGER THAN MOST PEOPLE.” You are measuring yourself according to how you compare with other people. Not according to your own performance. [/quote]

Actually, I do lift to better my own performance. Once you do pass up most people in the gym, there is no one else by yourself to compete against. Unless I am training at a gym with several competitors or powerlifters who are actually serious, why would I compare myself to people weaker than me? As a beginner, I looked to people who were stronger and more developed than me for inspiration. I had a solid mental goal to shoot for and seeing that others had achieved it helped me push even harder. Why would someone paint this as a negative. Who is really the insecure one here?

[quote]
You want to be big. Why? So you stand out in a crowd? So you can have a certain image? So you look good in certain clothes? What’s that say about you? [/quote]

I stood out before I ever lifted a weight. At least that is what people used to tell me. I never was someone who just “fit in”. I don’t have to try to make that happen.

[quote]
I’d say it says about the same thing that it says about most ‘bodybuilders’. You’re insecure and you look for validation in how OTHERS perceive you, not in your own honest perception of yourself.[/quote]

Read above. You sure do make a lot of assumptions. Why? What does that say about you that you judge other people so readily without knowing a thing about them?

[quote]
I measure me against myself. I want to be stronger than I used to be. I want to improve my own performance in the competitive lifts. As a result I get bigger and stronger. But it’s not the driving goal. I don’t strut around in my little brother’s tee-shirt and pose for idiotic pictures to post, asking others, ‘How do I look? Are you impressed?’ [/quote]

Gee, good for you. I lift weights for myself as well. Getting a compliment every once in a while doesn’t hurt either and neither does having some kid run up to you and ask how you got that way. It shows I obviously accomplished what I set out to do.

In fact, let’s take this beyond the weight room. I don’t just stand out because of how I look. I stand out mentally and physically. Do you? What have you accomplished in life that makes you anything other than average?

Are you saying no one should have the goal to NOT be average because it points to insecurity?

So one should never strive to make more money, get the job with more status, or go out with the truly good looking woman they got the phone number of?

According to you, anyone who pushed to be more than what they started with has some sort of “insecurity”?

That may just be the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. Thanks for sharing, Hack.

[quote]
Being a ‘Professor’, you might understand that one does not study and strive to improve their mind in order for others to see how smart they are. Some do, I think. And they stand out as the kind of asshole you seem to be, without the smart thing going for you, of course. [/quote]

What is the deal with idiots using “Professor X” in quotes? That is the character in an X-Men Comic book. It has nothing to do with my profession.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Professor X wrote:

Thanks, “Professor” X. I think this is a good example of the bodybuilding phsychosis. “I wanted big muscles and to be STRONGER THAN MOST PEOPLE.” You are measuring yourself according to how you compare with other people. Not according to your own performance.

Actually, I do lift to better my own performance. Once you do pass up most people in the gym, there is no one else by yourself to compete against. Unless I am training at a gym with several competitors or powerlifters who are actually serious, why would I compare myself to people weaker than me? As a beginner, I looked to people who were stronger and more developed than me for inspiration. I had a solid mental goal to shoot for and seeing that others had achieved it helped me push even harder. Why would someone paint this as a negative. Who is really the insecure one here?

Good verbal acrobatics here.

You want to be big. Why? So you stand out in a crowd? So you can have a certain image? So you look good in certain clothes? What’s that say about you?

I stood out before I ever lifted a weight. At least that is what people used to tell me. I never was someone who just “fit in”. I don’t have to try to make that happen.

I’d say it says about the same thing that it says about most ‘bodybuilders’. You’re insecure and you look for validation in how OTHERS perceive you, not in your own honest perception of yourself.

Read above. You sure do make a lot of assumptions. Why? What does that say about you that you judge other people so readily without knowing a thing about them?

I measure me against myself. I want to be stronger than I used to be. I want to improve my own performance in the competitive lifts. As a result I get bigger and stronger. But it’s not the driving goal. I don’t strut around in my little brother’s tee-shirt and pose for idiotic pictures to post, asking others, ‘How do I look? Are you impressed?’

Gee, good for you. I lift weights for myself as well. Getting a compliment every once in a while doesn’t hurt either and neither does having some kid run up to you and ask how you got that way. It shows I obviously accomplished what I set out to do.

In fact, let’s take this beyond the weight room. I don’t just stand out because of how I look. I stand out mentally and physically. Do you? What have you accomplished in life that makes you anything other than average?

Tell me how you stand out. I’ll be accused of bragging but you asked:

I attended college on an athletic (football) scholorship. I got my degree in Journalism in three years, began work on a masters degree in Public Policy. I played football professionally for one year (more on that later). I worked for a few years then went back to school to complete my Public Policy masters program then two years at Wharton School of Business (PENN) while employed by a consulting firm on the east coast. I then worked as consultant for five years before going to work for state governement in Human Services. I became director of a state agency, which I am today (although a different agency in a different state).

I am a published author (one work of fiction and two articles on subjects in which I am intersted).

I married a womaon who attended William and Mary, then Harvard.

We have a son - my greated acheivement.

Athletically I was all-state in football and baseball. I was state runner-up in wresting and on the all-state team as well. Then a three year starter in football at a Big East school.

I’ve competed in and medaled in USAW Nationals and the American Open. I was signed as a free-agent by an NFL team and was on the practice squad for one season. I’ve competed in raw powerlifting twice in local/regional meets, winning my class both times.

I’m also have a USGA handicap of 3.

I make $148,000 a year and my wife could afford to quit her $95,000 consulting job to start her own business, doing what she loves to do. She now earns more than that staying home with my son, because she - like me - stands out.

Do you stand out quite so much? Tell me all about it, Mr. Big-Fucking-Deal!

Are you saying no one should have the goal to NOT be average because it points to insecurity?

So one should never strive to make more money, get the job with more status, or go out with the truly good looking woman they got the phone number of?

According to you, anyone who pushed to be more than what they started with has some sort of “insecurity”?

That may just be the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. Thanks for sharing, Hack.

Being a ‘Professor’, you might understand that one does not study and strive to improve their mind in order for others to see how smart they are. Some do, I think. And they stand out as the kind of asshole you seem to be, without the smart thing going for you, of course.

What is the deal with idiots using “Professor X” in quotes? That is the character in an X-Men Comic book. It has nothing to do with my profession.

X-men? Well. That’s cool. I guess.

[/quote]