Bodybuilding = Vanity?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Eli B wrote:
pride =/= vanity.

You take pride in an accomplishment.

Vanity is maybe divorced from accomplishment I believe. Its an attitude that puts you above hard work. I think it also trumps personality. If a BBer thinks he looks awesome and is also a total amoral dick I’m willing to call that vain. But, if hes a decent contributor to society and a nice guy its not all consuming vanity.

What someone said about posting pics in an appropriate forum is key also. If your taking your shirt off in line in the bank you might actually be a little too vain.[/quote]

Is it narcissism if you really are better than everyone else?[/quote]

No, and it ain’t braggin if its true.

But actually yes. Can’t you be better than everyone and still be a nice feller?

It’s kinda paradoxal, but wouldn’t vanity cause someone to NOT bodybuild. I mean if you were born vain, or learned it at a young age, then you would constantly view your body image, whatever it might be, as gods gift to the planet. IMO bodybuilders are disgusted with thier 22 inch pipes. They should be 23 inches and much more vacular. Do you see how deflated my calves look? I have to take pictures standing in shallow ponds to cover them up because I’m embarrased about them. Does that sound like vanity? It SOUNDs more like insecurity, And certainly anyone posting thier picture online is at least partly looking for some form of peer acceptance.

I have posted 2 sets of pics on here. The first was because I was an insecure noob looking for people to say, Hey, you aren’t too bad, just a little work here and here and you’ll be well on your way. Then a few years later I posted pics as part of a contest we had for people who were under 200 to get to over 200, part of the requirements was before and afters to make sure the winner didn’t pull a “supersize me” on us. But honestly at this point, I’m pretty comfortable with where I am, I’m not a bodybuilder looking for weak point detection so really there is no reason for me to post a picture of myself.

Again, there are some legitamate reasons, but for the most part, it’s insecurity, not narcissism.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:
It’s kinda paradoxal, but wouldn’t vanity cause someone to NOT bodybuild. I mean if you were born vain, or learned it at a young age, then you would constantly view your body image, whatever it might be, as gods gift to the planet. IMO bodybuilders are disgusted with thier 22 inch pipes. They should be 23 inches and much more vacular. Do you see how deflated my calves look? I have to take pictures standing in shallow ponds to cover them up because I’m embarrased about them. Does that sound like vanity? It SOUNDs more like insecurity, And certainly anyone posting thier picture online is at least partly looking for some form of peer acceptance.

I have posted 2 sets of pics on here. The first was because I was an insecure noob looking for people to say, Hey, you aren’t too bad, just a little work here and here and you’ll be well on your way. Then a few years later I posted pics as part of a contest we had for people who were under 200 to get to over 200, part of the requirements was before and afters to make sure the winner didn’t pull a “supersize me” on us. But honestly at this point, I’m pretty comfortable with where I am, I’m not a bodybuilder looking for weak point detection so really there is no reason for me to post a picture of myself.

Again, there are some legitamate reasons, but for the most part, it’s insecurity, not narcissism.

V[/quote]

I get what you’re saying but I think insecurity and lack of confidence in one’s appearance is the same vanity as the one what makes someone show it off because it is the awareness of your looks. I think a lot of insecure, not working out people are just as vain but are hiding under their clothes and not doing anything about it.

I don’t think vanity is such a big deal anyhow but I still don’t like it in myself.

I’ll say this at some risk of taunts:

If I were built like Lee Priest, I’d wear a fucking Speedo to the beach… vanity-accusers be damned!

So…to quote Mr.X…ALL women in America are immature whores that spend 2 hours daily putting on make-up and all men want women with huge tits, and even if they say that they don’t care about the size of the tits, they’re lying in a conspiracy to convince their small tittied women of their happiness? Can someone remind me why people take you seriously?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

If I were built like Lee Priest, I’d wear a fucking Speedo to the beach… vanity-accusers be damned![/quote]

I’ll take speedos over ridiculous board shorts ANY day. On ANY build. Seriously. This trend of wearing full body covering to the beach is ridiculous.

[quote]Mackk wrote:
So…to quote Mr.X…All women in America are immature whores that spend 2 hours daily putting on make-up and all men want women with huge tits, and if they say that they don’t care about the size of the tits, they’re lying to their small tittied women? And people kiss this guys ass all the time…I’m apparently insane cause I don’t get it.[/quote]

You’ve missed his point.
Start from the beginning of the thread. Read everything carefully. Calm down.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
I called her a massive cock as she walked off
[/quote]
you mean you dialled 1-800-MASSCOCK?

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

If I were built like Lee Priest, I’d wear a fucking Speedo to the beach… vanity-accusers be damned![/quote]

I’ll take speedos over ridiculous board shorts ANY day. On ANY build. Seriously. This trend of wearing full body covering to the beach is ridiculous.[/quote]

Well, some people want things to go back to the old-days’ line of thinking.

[quote]debraD wrote:
I got in trouble from some of the guys here when I said size matters in SAMA :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyhow, vanity shmanity.

I was at a beach get together recently and only 3 of us were willing to go swimming because they didn’t want to get out of their all covering clothes that hid their bodies they were so ashamed of. It takes just as much vanity to want to hide your rolls as it does to want to show them. I couldn’t believe it, 34 degrees, on a beautiful lake and sitting around in board shorts that fall below the knee and massive t-shirts. Men and women both.[/quote]

DD, were the other two in good shape as well or were they just comfortable the way they are and could care less what others think.

Also, the same women that cover up when out with people seem to thinks it’s alright to wear the tightest spandex shorts and shirt to the gym, I don’t get this. Won’t the same board shorts work at the gym?

^Not sure about the Tits part but we are talking vanity and people that are in denial of the fact that they are vain in there own way.

I’m an Ass man and love a woman who is not ashamed of there phatassitness.

I’m also a large strong fucker and consider myself not an average Joe, however stating this with pride is considered vanity and not pride in self.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:

V[/quote]

I get what you’re saying but I think insecurity and lack of confidence in one’s appearance is the same vanity as the one what makes someone show it off because it is the awareness of your looks. I think a lot of insecure, not working out people are just as vain but are hiding under their clothes and not doing anything about it.

I don’t think vanity is such a big deal anyhow but I still don’t like it in myself. [/quote]

Oh definately, there are insecure people who lack the motivation to do anything about it for sure. I think some combinations have to be married together to truly get a “bodybuilder” I think insecurity, not vanity is one of those “personality traits” Others would be dedication, motivation, attention to detail, so hopefully I’m not coming off as bashing bodybuilders. Most humans need a motivating force to achieve any sort of greatness or accomplishemnt. Insecurity can be a great motivating force.

It’s all about what insecurity is paired up with. If it’s paired with dedication and motivation, you are going to get growth, if it’s paired with lazy and fear, you are going to get someone who is likley to hit rock bottom.

V

[quote]Mackk wrote:
So…to quote Mr.X…ALL women in America are immature whores that spend 2 hours daily putting on make-up and all men want women with huge tits, and even if they say that they don’t care about the size of the tits, they’re lying in a conspiracy to convince their small tittied women of their happiness? Can someone remind me why people take you seriously?[/quote]

You’re an idiot. 'Nuff said. There seem to be about 3-5 of you running around the site leaping forward based on whatever I write that causes your panties to bunch up.

I personally think that’s pretty damn creepy since no one cares what you write and I sure as hell wouldn’t be following you around at all.

Carry on numb nuts.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Mackk wrote:
So…to quote Mr.X…All women in America are immature whores that spend 2 hours daily putting on make-up and all men want women with huge tits, and if they say that they don’t care about the size of the tits, they’re lying to their small tittied women? And people kiss this guys ass all the time…I’m apparently insane cause I don’t get it.[/quote]

You’ve missed his point.
Start from the beginning of the thread. Read everything carefully. Calm down. [/quote]

I doubt the guy will respond to what you just wrote. People like that seemed to only be focused on WHO writes what…and yeah, that’s pretty damn strange.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I’ll take speedos over ridiculous board shorts ANY day. On ANY build. Seriously. This trend of wearing full body covering to the beach is ridiculous.[/quote]

Woah, let’s not get carried away here dD! Bad, bad, bad mental images just flooded into my brain. I have to go take a shower now and try to wash them out. Just think of half the people in America right now in a speedo. That’s not going to be pretty.

At any rate I think it’s a fine line between being overly concerned with your looks (guilty), and just not caring at all, like those people who wear super tight jeans and a tube top with rolls hanging out. I just don’t think it’s appropriate for some people to go around looking ridiculous. Call it whatever you want, but I know I’m self conscious as hell about how I look, and I think most people naturally want to look their best. Why, because it matters in our society. You are judged everyday by how you look, if you’re not up to the standard, then you’re left out.

Think about the last time you saw a overly large male/female and what did you think to yourself? Discussion.

v/r

Gremlin

[quote]four60 wrote:
^Not sure about the Tits part but we are talking vanity and people that are in denial of the fact that they are vain in there own way.

I’m an Ass man and love a woman who is not ashamed of there phatassitness.

I’m also a large strong fucker and consider myself not an average Joe, however stating this with pride is considered vanity and not pride in self.[/quote]

I think you are confusing terms a little. If you said to anyone, I’m a big strong mofo, I don’t think “vain” would cross anyones mind. Maybe cocky or meathead. Vain would be if you are in the gym posing in front of the mirror and I overhear you telling yourself you are one god damn sexy motherfucker. That would be vain. (even if it’s true)

V

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Mackk wrote:
So…to quote Mr.X…ALL women in America are immature whores that spend 2 hours daily putting on make-up and all men want women with huge tits, and even if they say that they don’t care about the size of the tits, they’re lying in a conspiracy to convince their small tittied women of their happiness? Can someone remind me why people take you seriously?[/quote]

You’re an idiot. 'Nuff said. There seem to be about 3-5 of you running around the site leaping forward based on whatever I write that causes your panties to bunch up.

I personally think that’s pretty damn creepy since no one cares what you write and I sure as hell wouldn’t be following you around at all.

Carry on numb nuts.[/quote]

Why am I and idiot? I’m not denying it, I’d just like to hear you’re reasoning. In my opinion, an idiot is someone that makes sweeping statements that homogenize an entire group of people (i.e. You as the idiot generalizing women in America and men across the world in relation to titty preference). And Irondwarf, I get his point, but he could’ve made it without being a jerkoff about it which seems to be especially hard for him. I think whats truly odd is that you (X) can say some stupid shit like you just did then have otherwise sensible people defending you because you’re the big cynical tells it like it is diva that they want to be friends with, lest they encounter your diva-rage.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:
I got in trouble from some of the guys here when I said size matters in SAMA :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyhow, vanity shmanity.

I was at a beach get together recently and only 3 of us were willing to go swimming because they didn’t want to get out of their all covering clothes that hid their bodies they were so ashamed of. It takes just as much vanity to want to hide your rolls as it does to want to show them. I couldn’t believe it, 34 degrees, on a beautiful lake and sitting around in board shorts that fall below the knee and massive t-shirts. Men and women both.[/quote]

DD, were the other two in good shape as well or were they just comfortable the way they are and could care less what others think.

Also, the same women that cover up when out with people seem to thinks it’s alright to wear the tightest spandex shorts and shirt to the gym, I don’t get this. Won’t the same board shorts work at the gym?
[/quote]

Now that I think about it, there were 4 ( out of 20+ people). One guy is really small, I outweigh him by 10 lbs and we’re the same height, another guy is quite big, tall and heavy but not buff or anything. He doesn’t lift. The last guy is in good shape and over the last couple of years has put on a bunch of muscle. So out of those 3, 2 of them were just comfortable with themselves. The guy who’s put on the muscle was quite self-conscious at first but I could tell he wanted to show up his abs, heh. I don’t think he was uncomfortable with his appearance as much as he was worried about being a douche.

[quote]debraD wrote:

Anyhow, vanity shmanity.

Did the people you were with act or look at you differently after they saw you all… uncovered?

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/efs-classic-27-reasons-to-be-big/

This seemed appropriate.